Bizarre BT Broadband problem only affecting web not p2p

Old December 4th 04, 12:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

Default Bizarre BT Broadband problem only affecting web not p2p

Having real problems with BT Broadband. Surfing the web with any
browser is either totally fine (pages appear in an instance) or
tediously slow (about 2Kb/second). Half the Internet is almost
unavailable, and it's always the same half?

P2P files download at the full 512 Mb/s

Bandwith tests either run full speed or at a snail's pace.

Using Dell laptop with unpowered USB ports and 105 modem, but it's
worked fine for about 3 months.

Any ideas anyone?
Old December 4th 04, 01:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steven Sumpter

James wrote:
Having real problems with BT Broadband. Surfing the web with any
browser is either totally fine (pages appear in an instance) or
tediously slow (about 2Kb/second). Half the Internet is almost
unavailable, and it's always the same half?

P2P files download at the full 512 Mb/s

Bandwith tests either run full speed or at a snail's pace.

Using Dell laptop with unpowered USB ports and 105 modem, but it's
worked fine for about 3 months.

Any ideas anyone?

It could well be a problem with BT's transparent proxy cache. You can
test this by manually setting your browser to use a different proxy. If
everything suddenly speeds up, there's your answer.

Steve.
Old December 4th 04, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Russell

"James" wrote in message
om...
Having real problems with BT Broadband. Surfing the web with any
browser is either totally fine (pages appear in an instance) or
tediously slow (about 2Kb/second). Half the Internet is almost
unavailable, and it's always the same half?

P2P files download at the full 512 Mb/s

Bandwith tests either run full speed or at a snail's pace.

Using Dell laptop with unpowered USB ports and 105 modem, but it's
worked fine for about 3 months.

Any ideas anyone?

What P2P software are you using?? I find that when I'm downloading via Bit
Torrent surfing goes really slow.

Russell

Old December 4th 04, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 12:30:48 -0000, "Russell"
wrote:

What P2P software are you using?? I find that when I'm downloading via Bit
Torrent surfing goes really slow.

You need to set the upload bandwidth that you Bit Torrent client uses
to be lower than your line's upstream bandwidth (if ADSL then it is
256kb/s). Your browsing should be somewhat smoother then.
--
Andy Norman
http://www.norman.cx/
Old December 4th 04, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

It's not a virus/trojan/spyware/browser hack.

It's not to do with the p2p software, I'm not downloading anything,
just did it as a comparison.

Tried a proxy in Canada and now I can surf the previously slow pages
much faster. Of course all the pages that were available at full speed
before are now slowed down due to the proxy!

So it seems that BT's transparent proxy isn't working, yet you'd think
there would be an uproar and not just me complaining? It's been like
this for 3 days now ...
Old December 5th 04, 12:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

James wrote:
It's not a virus/trojan/spyware/browser hack.

It's not to do with the p2p software, I'm not downloading anything,
just did it as a comparison.

Tried a proxy in Canada and now I can surf the previously slow pages
much faster. Of course all the pages that were available at full speed
before are now slowed down due to the proxy!

So it seems that BT's transparent proxy isn't working, yet you'd think
there would be an uproar and not just me complaining? It's been like
this for 3 days now ...

It's been a little slow for a few days for me as well, even down to pages
not loading one moment but loading the next. But as you can see I'm not
with BT so aren't using their proxies & AFAIK I'm not on the bad boys pipe
so it may just be one of those times.

Personally I'm going to leave it a few more days before I raise a ticket
checking things out my end, but I would agree with you it only appears to be
affecting browsing, mail & usenet P2P is still flying (when & if of
course)...

Old December 5th 04, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

Everything working full speed again this morning. Well at least it's
fixed, makes me realise how dependent I've became on broadband ...
Old December 5th 04, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 00:10:40 +0000, [Steven Sumpter] said :-

James wrote:
Having real problems with BT Broadband. Surfing the web with any
browser is either totally fine (pages appear in an instance) or
tediously slow (about 2Kb/second). Half the Internet is almost
unavailable, and it's always the same half?

P2P files download at the full 512 Mb/s

Bandwith tests either run full speed or at a snail's pace.

Using Dell laptop with unpowered USB ports and 105 modem, but it's
worked fine for about 3 months.

Any ideas anyone?

It could well be a problem with BT's transparent proxy cache. You can
test this by manually setting your browser to use a different proxy. If
everything suddenly speeds up, there's your answer.

Steve.

Are you sure that BT are using transparent proxies ? They used to, but
afaik not any more.