BT Yahoo Broadband

Old December 4th 04, 12:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Helen

Default BT Yahoo Broadband

I have been with BT Broadband (1MB) since last December and initially had no
problems.

About four or five months ago I began to have trouble getting a connection.
It would get to the "verifying username and password" stage, pause for ages,
then eventually display "unable to establish a connection". I have to
repeatedly re-try before I eventually get connected. I would estimate that
this is now happening about 50% of the time. In the last couple of weeks I
have also begun to have problems accessing newsgroups. Everything stops and
eventually I get the message "connection to server unexpectedly terminated".

It has got to the point where the service is so unreliable it is becoming
almost unusable. Is anyone else having similar problems, or could there be
something wrong with my modem or settings?

Any advice would be appreciated, as this is driving me mad. I resent paying
30 a month for something which is barely working, but am concerned about
changing providers as I have heard it can be a tortuous process.

Helen.

Old December 4th 04, 04:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 3 Dec 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, "Helen" wrote:

could there be something wrong with my modem or settings?

It may help to mention what modem you are using ... USB by any chance ?

Old December 4th 04, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Helen" wrote in
:

[...]

Similar problem connecting since I upgraded from 512 to 1MB. I have to run
the diagnostic test three times, and it fails on the line test, but then it
will successfully connect.

Sorry wish I knew what the problem was.

Mike.

Old December 4th 04, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron S

M blurted on Sat, 04 Dec 2004 19:32:27 +0000:

Similar problem connecting since I upgraded from 512 to 1MB. I have to run
the diagnostic test three times, and it fails on the line test, but then it
will successfully connect.

Sorry wish I knew what the problem was.

Mike.

Buying a Router solved that problem for me when I upgraded to the 1Mb...

--
I worked myself up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty.
*Groucho Marx*
Old December 4th 04, 11:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 23:40:48 +0000 (UTC), "Helen"
wrote:

[...]

I'am still using bt yahoo anytime dialup at the moment although web
browsing and email is fine for me there is a problem with accessing
newsgroups that i myself and other people from the btinternet support
newsgroup have noticed, but it seems as always bt are ignoring it and
when you ring their service status line everything seems to be working
fine which of course isn't true.

Personally i'am looking at ordering broadband on Monday as i would
like it before christmas. One of my problems is deciding who to go
with but i can tell you that after 7 years with bt i won't be staying
with them.

du

Old December 5th 04, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Helen

"Peter M" wrote in message
On 3 Dec 2004, in uk.telecom.broadband, "Helen" wrote:

could there be something wrong with my modem or settings?

It may help to mention what modem you are using ... USB by any chance ?

Yes it is a USB Speedtouch modem as supplied by BT.

Old December 5th 04, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Helen

"Ron S" wrote in message
. ..
M blurted on Sat, 04 Dec 2004 19:32:27 +0000:

Similar problem connecting since I upgraded from 512 to 1MB. I have to

run
the diagnostic test three times, and it fails on the line test, but then

it
will successfully connect.

Sorry wish I knew what the problem was.

Mike.

Buying a Router solved that problem for me when I upgraded to the 1Mb...

I upgraded to 1Mb about two months ago, and was having the connection probs
them, but it's got a lot worse since. I have to admit I have no idea what a
router is, guess I'll go and do some research.

Cheers,
Helen.

Old December 5th 04, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Helen

wrote:

[...]

I think I will look at changing as soon as my contract period is up, I'm
just a bit concerned as I've heard the process can take ages.

Old December 5th 04, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 15:52:49 UTC, "Helen"
wrote:

I think I will look at changing as soon as my contract period is up, I'm
just a bit concerned as I've heard the process can take ages.

Although many would agree that BTB is not the best ISP, perhaps, you
should note a couple of things before changing.

1) A new ISP may be more proactive in chasing the part of BT that deals
with the technical aspects of your connection.

2) Using a new ISP will not change the physical ADSL connection you
have. Same wire to the exchange, etc. BT still provide that.

--
[Davism - a condition by which the sufferer experiences an inability
euthanasia recommended. (also known as Gee-axia)]
Old December 5th 04, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 5 Dec 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Helen" wrote:

I have to admit I have no idea what a router is, guess I'll go and do
some research.

You will probably find it handy to look at http://www.adslguide.org/

Routers are widely used to allow a number of PCs on a LAN to connect to
some other network (in this case, "the internet"). While a router will
often be most used in a multi-PC environment, it is fine with just one,
too. The combined router/ADSL modem usually be left powered up, and it
is connected to your PC with an ethernet cable (RJ45, to a network card
which may already be installed, or can be added for under a tenner) and
the main differences are that with USB or PCI connections, you login at
times when you power the PC up, in some ways like a 56k dial-up... with
a router, it will usually stay connected, and if the connection dies, a
setting normally forces it to reconnect, again and again. Some friends
with poor phone lines have routers reconnecting a few times a week.