What sort of line problem?

Old December 4th 04, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

Default What sort of line problem?

I've been having intermittent problems with loss of synch for quite a few
weeks.

BT fixed a line fault - corroded terminal connection in an outside line
box - a few weeks ago. This improved the problem but I still get loss of
synch. The engineer told me that the defunct line box wasn't in good shape
but his repair removed the diagnosed line problem from the line test report.

The BT line test is now showing no problem but an ISP instigated "woosh
test" is suggesting a "copper wire failure - possible faulty earth" in or
near the "customer's premises". This sounds pretty similar to the sort of
problem fixed by the BT engineer some weeks ago.

BT Fault Repair doesn't seem to know what a woosh test is and just repeat
that there is no diagnosed line problem.

I've tried 4 different filters (buying 2 new ones just to try to solve the
problem). I've also tried using a different modem.

Is there a line problem that would account for loss of synch especially (but
not only) when the phone is being used or even just when the phone rings
(i.e. I assume when there's some sort of current change on the line)? I've
tried different filters and the chances of having 4 faulty filters are
surely slim.

Oddly sometimes - rarely - the connection can remain for over 24 hours (the
top so far is about 40 hours or so) and currently 15 hours plus despite
phone ringing/usage.

Gareth.

Old December 4th 04, 04:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 12:12:15 -0000, Gareth wrote:

[...]

Hi Gareth,

Did the BT engineer that attended your property come from BT Retail, or BT
Wholesale via your ISP?
If BT Retail then I'd recommend just double checking all your internal
wiring; try the ADSL from the master socket with no other devices on the
line. Then contact your ISP and ask them to report the fault on to BT
Wholesale. After doing their own tests you should then get a visit from a
Wholesale engineer.

With Regards,

Dave,
Old December 5th 04, 01:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

PlusNet Support Team wrote:

After doing their own tests you should then get a
visit from a Wholesale engineer.

Nah, he'll get a BT Retail engineer, with a wholesale hat on

ADSL engineers are retail, but we wish we were wholesale

Old December 5th 04, 08:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 01:37:53 -0000, Nick wrote:

PlusNet Support Team wrote:

After doing their own tests you should then get a
visit from a Wholesale engineer.

Nah, he'll get a BT Retail engineer, with a wholesale hat on

ADSL engineers are retail, but we wish we were wholesale

Hi,

The structure of BT can get very confusing sometimes, and we haven't even
mentioned Global Services.

Old December 5th 04, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave [email protected]>

PlusNet Support Team wrote:

After doing their own tests you should then get a
visit from a Wholesale engineer.

Nah, he'll get a BT Retail engineer, with a wholesale hat on

ADSL engineers are retail, but we wish we were wholesale

Hi,

The structure of BT can get very confusing sometimes, and we haven't even
mentioned Global Services.

With Regards,

Dave,

Yes I know. I work in tech support for one of the BT retail ISPs and
we get AOL and other ISPs customers calling us up all the time.

They've called their own ISPs who have said it is a BT problem so they
call us to get something done about it. They get angry when I say I
can't help them. They say "you're BT, do something about it"

I try to explain that we're just another ISP and because they aren't
one of our customers, I can't help them.

They don't seem to get this.
Old December 5th 04, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Nick wrote:
PlusNet Support Team wrote:

After doing their own tests you should then get a
visit from a Wholesale engineer.

Nah, he'll get a BT Retail engineer, with a wholesale hat on

ADSL engineers are retail, but we wish we were wholesale

Get paid more for a start...