Opinion........

Old December 5th 04, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Boomhauer

Default Opinion........

I am currently with PlusNet (512K) and am looking to obtain from an ISP
their 1Mb service.....

Who would people choose.......

I've just looked at adslguide.org and it appears PlusNet are the most
reliable etc

Would I be daft to change to someone else?

Old December 5th 04, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Dave Boomhauer wrote:

I am currently with PlusNet (512K) and am looking to obtain from an ISP
their 1Mb service ..... Would I be daft to change to someone else?

Unless you're a member of the "greedy gang" I'd stay and upgrade to 1Mb
Old December 5th 04, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

In article ,
"Dave Boomhauer" wrote:

I am currently with PlusNet (512K) and am looking to obtain from an ISP
their 1Mb service.....

Who would people choose.......

I've just looked at adslguide.org and it appears PlusNet are the most
reliable etc

Would I be daft to change to someone else?

If you've had no problems there might not be much reason to move.

I'd certainly take a look at Zen, Eclipe and Metronet, it depends what
you want beyond a decent connection.

The Eclipse 14.99 2mbps deal looks a good one unless you're a heavy
fairly user.

I'm with Zen, moved from Nildram who have a very good reputation and I
have to say it seems faster somehow.

cheers,
Paul
--
paul at spamcop dot net
Old December 5th 04, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 12:05:53 -0000, "Dave Boomhauer"
wrote:

I am currently with PlusNet (512K) and am looking to obtain from an ISP
their 1Mb service.....

Who would people choose.......

I've just looked at adslguide.org and it appears PlusNet are the most
reliable etc

Would I be daft to change to someone else?

I guess that few punters have moved between ADSL providers, so from
the end users perspective, knowledge of whether one provider is better
than another is somewhat unknown. The adslguide.org is indeed a good
source of information, but your conclusion that PlusNet are **the
most** reliable seems flawed. I would say there are a handful of
providers that are very good, and clearly there are some who are truly
awful.

Maybe PlusNet is in there with the very best, I really would not know,
but I would be concerned about an organisation where hardly a day, or
even an hour, goes by without something being written here on
uk.telecom.broadband about PlusNet - most of which is negative vibes.

I don't believe that PlusNet is unique in having customers who sail
close to the wind on acceptable usage of their connection and yet we
hear next to nothing on what is happening in the other camps. The
assumption must be drawn that on the whole end users there are more
than happy. On the other hand PlusNet does not seem to be hitting it
off very well with a few of their customers by making changes to the
terms and conditions during a contractual period.

There haven't been any particular horror stories reported here when
migrating to another ADSL provider, so if your researches indicate
that value for money and service is better elsewhere, then go for it.

David Bradley

Old December 5th 04, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 05 Dec 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Paul Hutchings wrote:

The Eclipse 14.99 2mbps deal looks a good one unless you're a heavy
fairly user.

The one with a 1 GB allowance and further traffic at 1.75/GB ? It may
be fine for 3-4 GB and the speed is attractive (but Plus.Net VMU shows
I have transferred 11+ GB on my 500 kbps link, from 9.5 MB to 2.2 GB a
day - rather variable, as I have a second, faster, link :-) Peter M.

Old December 5th 04, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 05 Dec 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, David Bradley wrote:

I would be concerned about an organisation where hardly a day, or
even an hour, goes by without something being written here on
uk.telecom.broadband about PlusNet - most of which is negative vibes.

Agreed, and it is overkill, given the situation won't be altered a jot
by lots of negative posts.

However, as a customer for some 18+ months, I've no similar concerns,
because the posts are mostly from non-PN customers, complaining about
the handling for a tiny number of heavy users. That Plus.Net has taken
a step towards restricting growth of an unsustainable level of transfers
by a minority is no big problem, to me, and shows they are taking care
of the service in general. I would be concerned if they were not
taking some steps, rather than by some 'noise' in a newsgroup.

The assumption must be drawn that on the whole end users there are
more than happy.

Yes, I'd suspect that is the case. However, there are rarely lots of
posts in the affirmative about a service, especially when responses
may be of a vitriolic nature, calling one a liar, for example.

My other ISP is UK Free Software Network www.ukfsn.org
Old December 5th 04, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Boomhauer

wrote:

[...]

SNIP

I like PlusNet, however as my 12 month contract is about to expire I want to
explore other possibilities, I am not an excessive user (small actually) and
so have no problem with PlusNet, but want to clarity on who is the best ISP!

Old December 5th 04, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

David Bradley wrote:

Maybe PlusNet is in there with the very best, I really would not know

They are good enough, nobody is perfect, and I prefer to deal with a
company that is honest about problems when they do occur, and gives
information rather than hides it

On the other hand PlusNet does not seem to be hitting it
off very well with a few of their customers by making changes to the
terms and conditions during a contractual period.

Ah, they've changed the service but cleverly *without* changing the T&C,
the "greedy gang" now contend only with each other, not with the general
userbase.
Old December 5th 04, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 05 Dec 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, David Bradley wrote:

I guess that few punters have moved between ADSL providers, so from
the end users perspective, knowledge of whether one provider is better
than another is somewhat unknown.

Try looking at www.ADSLguide.org and you should find user comments about
Virgin, Gio Internet, and perhaps others, where users have moved from one
to another. However, the move is generally in relation to a significant
complaint over service or billing problems, and will thus run similar to
comments which might currently be found concerning Plus.Net :-) Peter.

--
My clients can call for free...
More info... http://www.vfm-deals.com/phone/
Old December 5th 04, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 12:05:53 -0000, Dave Boomhauer wrote:

I am currently with PlusNet (512K) and am looking to obtain from an ISP
their 1Mb service.....

Who would people choose.......

I've just looked at adslguide.org and it appears PlusNet are the most
reliable etc

Would I be daft to change to someone else?

Hi,

As I work for the company I'm probably biased, so feel free to ignore me,
but I am a customer as well.

I've had broadband with PlusNet for about a year, before that I worked for
Freeserve and had broadband with them. I've also had 1Mbps for about the
last 6 months and have to say I haven't had any problems at all. Even the
load balancing issues, and my exchange being on red for the VP haven't had
any noticeable effects. For me I'd recommend staying, even if I didn't
work for the company I would.

With Regards,

Dave,