Clarity Extension Socket

Old December 5th 04, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Kingston

Default Clarity Extension Socket

My Clarity RJ45 extension socket bears a label marked 568B showing the
layout for cable attachment, but to confuse matters there is enclosed in
the packing a similar label marked 568A with a different layout. Could
use socket as-is, i.e 568B, I guess, but I'd like to get it right first
time. Enough other things to go wrong - new broadband connection.

Not clear to me from Clarity web site on how to decide which to use.
Search on 568A 568B reveals a paper from Able Cables Pty Ltd with useful
technical info and the conclusion "All new installations should be
carried out using the 568A standard and cables only to be terminated to
568B specification on existing systems". But that's Oz, not local
advice!

E-mailed Clarity who responded automatically of a warning of a delayed
response.

Advice on which way to go would be appreciated (if by e-mail, note
address fudge in signature)
--
Michael J Kingston - Researching Family History
News of surname DIGWEED always welcomed
Old December 5th 04, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 17:30:46 +0000, Mike Kingston
strung together this:

Search on 568A 568B reveals a paper from Able Cables Pty Ltd with useful
technical info and the conclusion "All new installations should be
carried out using the 568A standard and cables only to be terminated to
568B specification on existing systems". But that's Oz, not local
advice!

Well, as expected it's upside down! 568B is the current one over here.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
Old December 5th 04, 07:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Mike Kingston wrote:

[...]

Are you using this for a digital extension for ADSL - with the other end of
the cable wired into a Clarity modified faceplate?

If so, forget about 568A/B - you only need one pair - which uses the middle
2 conductors - i.e. pins 4 and 5 of an 8-pin RJ45.

If you look at http://www.tcswnc.com/RJ11%20and%20R...Connectors.htm
you'll see that Pair 1 is wired the same on A or B variations.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old December 5th 04, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Kingston

In message , Tiscali Tim
writes
Mike Kingston wrote:

[...]

Yes, exactly that. Neat wiring up the stairs thereby.

If so, forget about 568A/B - you only need one pair - which uses the middle
2 conductors - i.e. pins 4 and 5 of an 8-pin RJ45.

If you look at http://www.tcswnc.com/RJ11%20and%20R...Connectors.htm
you'll see that Pair 1 is wired the same on A or B variations.

Clears up my uncertainty. Thank you. The info is (I see now) in the
Clarity documentation, but I was confused by all the new (to me)
terminology.

I lifted the 568B label and disclosed the pin numbers, which fills in
the gap in my knowledge. Catching up .....