Modem loses sync on Sundays

Old December 6th 04, 08:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paperbag Writer

Default Modem loses sync on Sundays

I have a strange problem with my ADSL connection, every Sunday around mid
day my alcatel modem loses sync with the exchange for 1-2 hours. This only
happens on Sundays, the rest of the week I get a very reliable connection
with no real problems at all. I have contacted my ISP and I am having
difficulty getting past the scripted replys and auto responses, I have
tried all of the usual things- changing filters, making sure nothing else
is connected to the line unfiltered, rebooting and re installing drivers,
the list goes on but it's safe to say that no stone has been left unturned
my end. It's pretty obvious that the problem lies at the BT end and I was
wondering if there is a number or other way of contacting BT directly to at
least find out if my exchange is experiencing problems rather than waiting
in a call Q for half an hour to speak to someone half way across the world
who can't find the answer on his script?
Old December 6th 04, 05:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Paperbag Writer wrote:
[...]

Sorry but as you are your ISP's customer (not BT) you have to go thru them.

Are you sure that you've checked everything at your end, including time
switches or anything else which could produce electrical noise?

All I can say with certainty is that I'm very glad I'm not going to have to
fix this one....

Old December 6th 04, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paperbag Writer

Sorry but as you are your ISP's customer (not BT) you have to go thru
them.

I thought as much.

Are you sure that you've checked everything at your end, including
time switches or anything else which could produce electrical noise?

Yep, there is nothing on a timer or anything that is set up to come on any
differently on a sunday, I also have a mains filter to all my PC gear (I've
even tried eliminating this too) I have also unplugged everything that
connects to the phone line when the problem occurs. The outage usually
lasts at least an hour before the modem re-syncs so it doesn't look like
its anything spiking it thats causing the problem. I really need to find
out if anyone else locally is experiencing similar problems.

All I can say with certainty is that I'm very glad I'm not going to
have to fix this one....

As an engineer, all be it not in that line of work, I too am glad it's not
my job to find this one either.
Thanks.

Old December 6th 04, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 17:28:18 UTC, "kraftee" [email protected]& die.com
wrote:

Sorry but as you are your ISP's customer (not BT) you have to go thru them.

Are you sure that you've checked everything at your end, including time
switches or anything else which could produce electrical noise?

All I can say with certainty is that I'm very glad I'm not going to have to
fix this one....

Just think of all that overtime! (but perhaps it doesn't work like
that...?)

--
[Davism - a condition by which the sufferer experiences an inability
euthanasia recommended. (also known as Gee-axia)]
Old December 6th 04, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Sorry but as you are your ISP's customer (not BT) you have to go thru

them.

Are you sure that you've checked everything at your end, including time
switches or anything else which could produce electrical noise?

All I can say with certainty is that I'm very glad I'm not going to have

fix this one....

I told the cleaner not to plug the Hoover into that socket!

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 6th 04, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

"Paperbag Writer" wrote in message

[...]

Any nearby churches that hold a Sunday service using an inductive loop
for hard of hearing people ? Or putting on the oven for a roast? :-)

Old December 6th 04, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Bob Eager wrote:

Just think of all that overtime! (but perhaps it doesn't work like
that...?)

Overtime should be easy, not a nightmare

Old December 6th 04, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

Any nearby churches that hold a Sunday service using an inductive loop
for hard of hearing people ? Or putting on the oven for a roast? :-)

Now I *like* that style of lateral thinking!

Old December 6th 04, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P H

Something is happening at this time, if it only happen on Sundays.

Start looking for a pattern.

A church, Radio Ham, Neibour etc...

Talk to your neibours, find out if anyone else is having a problem.

When the clocks went back the other week, did the fault time change by one
hour ?

73's de Phill H

Old December 6th 04, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "P H" wrote:

A church, Radio Ham, Neibour etc...

I thought the responsible amateurs reading the RSGB news would know about
the power limits for their HF SSB rigs :-) Just a small possibility, but
a Sunday might fit... Then again it might equally be someone who tends to
join some OT net just for a ragchew, so not so easy to identify. Peter.

My other ISP is UK Free Software Network www.ukfsn.org