Netgear DG834G v2 (SNMP) features

Old December 6th 04, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Netgear DG834G v2 (SNMP) features

Does the netgear DG834G v2 router have snmp so that you can monitor
how much data you transfer if not which routers do? Another thing what
are the main differences between version 2 of this router and the one
before it?

Thanks in advance

du.
Old December 6th 04, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Pick

wrote in message
Does the netgear DG834G v2 router have snmp so that you can monitor
how much data you transfer if not which routers do? Another thing what
are the main differences between version 2 of this router and the one
before it?

Thanks in advance

du.

Well I've got the v1 model and it does support snmp - traps etc. so I assume
you can do what you are asking (using something free like mrtg perhaps?)

And as far as I know, the v2 is no different to the v1 (uses same firmware?)
apart from the physical aspect of the case being different. (see the netgear
web site which seems to confirm this)

Andy

Old December 6th 04, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Pick

wrote in message
Does the netgear DG834G v2 router have snmp so that you can monitor
how much data you transfer if not which routers do? Another thing what
are the main differences between version 2 of this router and the one
before it?

Thanks in advance

du.

Well I've got the v1 model and it does support snmp - traps etc. so I
assume you can do what you are asking (using something free like mrtg
perhaps?)

And as far as I know, the v2 is no different to the v1 (uses same
firmware?) apart from the physical aspect of the case being different.
(see the netgear web site which seems to confirm this)

Andy

Oh, just remembered - to add to this, haven't Netgear recently released a
slightly more up to date model of this router as well which supports 108Mbps
wireless ? This is called the DG834GT if I remember correctly - and it is a
higher price than the DG834G and uses different firmware. Were you
specifically talking about this model perhaps?

Andy

Old December 6th 04, 07:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote in message
[...]

No i was talking about the DG834G v2 i have seen the faster one that
you are talking about. I can't seem to see the DG834G v2 on the
netgear website only the DG834G although websites such as broadband
buyer and broadband stuff sell the version to of this router.
Old December 6th 04, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mk38

It is there...

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/DG834G.asp

As it says functionality is identical. I have a V2 one for a while and it
runs a treat. I dont use snmp though.

mk38

wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 11:05:24 -0000, "Andrew Pick"
wrote:

"Andrew Pick" wrote in
message

Old December 6th 04, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

wrote in message
Does the netgear DG834G v2 router have snmp so that you can monitor
how much data you transfer if not which routers do? Another thing what
are the main differences between version 2 of this router and the one
before it?

Thanks in advance

du.

Well I've got the v1 model and it does support snmp - traps etc. so I

assume
you can do what you are asking (using something free like mrtg perhaps?)

And as far as I know, the v2 is no different to the v1 (uses same

firmware?)
apart from the physical aspect of the case being different. (see the

netgear
web site which seems to confirm this)

Andy

I asked this same question on here about 2 weeks ago and was told by Andy
Jenkins that SNMP was not supported. If you can confirm otherwise I will be
very interested. Perhaps I need to have a go myself with mrtg.

Peter

Old December 7th 04, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronny

"Peter" wrote in message

"Andrew Pick" wrote in
message

wrote in message
[...]

Try PRTG its free and pretty good, with a web-based interface as well, you
have to pay if you want to monitor more than 1 device though.

Old December 7th 04, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

wrote in message
Does the netgear DG834G v2 router have snmp so that you can monitor
how much data you transfer if not which routers do? Another thing what
are the main differences between version 2 of this router and the one
before it?

Thanks in advance

du.

Well I've got the v1 model and it does support snmp - traps etc. so I
assume you can do what you are asking (using something free like mrtg
perhaps?)

And as far as I know, the v2 is no different to the v1 (uses same
firmware?) apart from the physical aspect of the case being different.
(see the netgear web site which seems to confirm this)

Andy

Hi Andy,

How do you enable SNMP on the 834G? I've got both v1 and v2 versions and
didn't think they supported SNMP. How do you enable it?

Thanks, David

Old December 8th 04, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

David wrote:

: How do you enable SNMP on the 834G? I've got both v1 and v2 versions and
: didn't think they supported SNMP. How do you enable it?

AFAIK you don't! Netgear themselves say that the V1 and V2 are *identical*
except for the cases (larger silver vs. smaller white) *AND* they use the
same firmware.

Everywhere I have looked agrees that the DG834G *DOES NOT* have SNMP!