Broadband connection

Old December 6th 04, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WestYorkshireman

Default Broadband connection

Hi all,
I have just got up and running with Demon broadband, connection etc all fine
but, if I leave the pc for a minuite or so say to answer the phone, when I
return the connectioin has dropped and I have to connect via the connect
icon on my desktop.
Is there something in a menu somewhere that I have to check to stop this
happening, my understanding is that once connected with broadband you stay
connected until you log off.
Any help much appreciated.

Old December 6th 04, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

WestYorkshireman wrote:
Hi all,
I have just got up and running with Demon broadband, connection etc all fine
but, if I leave the pc for a minuite or so say to answer the phone, when I
return the connectioin has dropped and I have to connect via the connect
icon on my desktop.
Is there something in a menu somewhere that I have to check to stop this
happening, my understanding is that once connected with broadband you stay
connected until you log off.
Any help much appreciated.

You have got all your filters in place?

Old December 6th 04, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WestYorkshireman

Hiram Hackenbacker wrote:
WestYorkshireman wrote:
Hi all,
I have just got up and running with Demon broadband, connection etc
all fine but, if I leave the pc for a minuite or so say to answer
the phone, when I return the connectioin has dropped and I have to
connect via the connect icon on my desktop.
Is there something in a menu somewhere that I have to check to stop
this happening, my understanding is that once connected with
broadband you stay connected until you log off.
Any help much appreciated.

You have got all your filters in place?

Yes all equipment in place and working fine.

Old December 6th 04, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

WestYorkshireman wrote:
Hiram Hackenbacker wrote:

WestYorkshireman wrote:

Hi all,
I have just got up and running with Demon broadband, connection etc
all fine but, if I leave the pc for a minuite or so say to answer
the phone, when I return the connectioin has dropped and I have to
connect via the connect icon on my desktop.
Is there something in a menu somewhere that I have to check to stop
this happening, my understanding is that once connected with
broadband you stay connected until you log off.
Any help much appreciated.

You have got all your filters in place?

Yes all equipment in place and working fine.

Are you using a USB connected ADSL device - what about your power
conservation settings on the PC - they aren't switching it off are they?

Old December 6th 04, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WestYorkshireman

The pc doesnt switch off, I am thinking it could be a check box somewhere
that is disconnecting say if connection is idle for 1 min for example.

Old December 6th 04, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

WestYorkshireman wrote:
The pc doesnt switch off, I am thinking it could be a check box somewhere
that is disconnecting say if connection is idle for 1 min for example.

Look at the settings for dial-up networking - depends on your version of
Windows.
Old December 6th 04, 02:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

WestYorkshireman wrote:

Hi all,
I have just got up and running with Demon broadband, connection etc
all fine but, if I leave the pc for a minuite or so say to answer the
phone, when I return the connectioin has dropped and I have to
connect via the connect icon on my desktop.
Is there something in a menu somewhere that I have to check to stop
this happening, my understanding is that once connected with
broadband you stay connected until you log off.
Any help much appreciated.

Does it only drop if you use the phone for voice calls, or will it drop if
you go off and (say) have a cup of tea without using the phone?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old December 6th 04, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WestYorkshireman

Hiram Hackenbacker wrote:
WestYorkshireman wrote:
The pc doesnt switch off, I am thinking it could be a check box
somewhere that is disconnecting say if connection is idle for 1 min
for example.

Look at the settings for dial-up networking - depends on your version
of Windows.

Running windows xp and struggling to find dial-up networking.

Old December 6th 04, 03:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

WestYorkshireman wrote:

Running windows xp and struggling to find dial-up networking.

Start / Settings / Network Connections

Select the appropriate connection and click on Properties

Then click on Options

One of the options should be "Idle time before hanging up". Set this to
"Never"

--
Cheers,
Tim

Old December 6th 04, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BoyPete

WestYorkshireman wrote:
Hi all,
I have just got up and running with Demon broadband, connection etc
all fine but, if I leave the pc for a minuite or so say to answer the
phone, when I return the connectioin has dropped and I have to
connect via the connect icon on my desktop.
Is there something in a menu somewhere that I have to check to stop
this happening, my understanding is that once connected with
broadband you stay connected until you log off.
Any help much appreciated.

Try...... Start/control panel/system/'hardware' tab/device manager
find your modem......may be under network adapters. Right click, select
properties, then power management. Deselect 'allow computer to turn off this
device.
HTH
--
yt