Help! Awful Tesco speeds

Old December 6th 04, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
.

Default Help! Awful Tesco speeds

Hi,

I've been having horrible speed issues with Tesco in the evenings ever since
I got their broadband service. At times the speed is literally as slow as
dialup, and horribly unreliable (pages not loading etc).

I'm getting nowhere with their 'tech support' (30 minutes and waiting on
hold at the moment), so I was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice
here? Is there anything I can try to improve the speed of my downstream
(upstream seems fine)?

Thanks,
Dan

Old December 6th 04, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Black Shuck

.. wrote:
Hi,

I've been having horrible speed issues with Tesco in the evenings ever since
I got their broadband service. At times the speed is literally as slow as
dialup, and horribly unreliable (pages not loading etc).

I'm getting nowhere with their 'tech support' (30 minutes and waiting on
hold at the moment), so I was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice
here? Is there anything I can try to improve the speed of my downstream
(upstream seems fine)?

Thanks,
Dan

so your broadband providor that you buy cabbages and forzen food from
knows nothing about broadband.. now there's a suprise...
Old December 6th 04, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

so your broadband providor that you buy cabbages and forzen food from
knows nothing about broadband.. now there's a suprise...

Ah yes but don't forget it's not Tesco that provides the Broadband it's N.T.
.. . .

.. . . as you were mate, they know bugger all about it either.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old December 6th 04, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
.

Hmm coming back to the point.. (and I might point out at the time, they were
the cheapest 512k provider).. Any good tips? I've tried Dr TCP without much
success, unless there are some super-secret settings for Tesco alone. I
noticed in other posts mentions of flashing lights on the modem etc, but
couldn't find the original source. Any help much appreciated.

"Graham" wrote in message

so your broadband providor that you buy cabbages and forzen food from
knows nothing about broadband.. now there's a suprise...

Ah yes but don't forget it's not Tesco that provides the Broadband it's

N.T.
. . .

Old February 3rd 05, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tangerine_sedge

Hmmmm. I'm suddenly experiencing poor performance on Tesco.net too.
Upload speed good, but download speed has halved. I presume its
because there are more users on my local switch (Clevedon in Somerset).
Perhaps I'll have to remove all the broadband flyers from around the
checkouts in my local store - I don't want any more users

Has anyone experience of complaining to tesco.net and getting improved
speeds? I currently have a complaint into their help-monkeys, but I
don't hold much hope. Do I just have to lump it until my contract is
up then switch to an ipstream product?

Old February 8th 05, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Callaghan

I'm also getting very slow throughput - about 60% of what I'd
expect. At tea time today I tried testing with bandwidthplace.com
which reported throughput of about 350 kilobits per second. Now
(10:36pm) it is reporting 312.1 kilobits per second. Sorry, but to pay
for a 3L engine and only get a 2L one is a Trade Description breach in
my books - and before someone else starts on about line quality, this
ADSL stuff is supposed to be good for 8MB, 16x what I'm trying to put
through it. Come on Tesco - you're product doesn't do what is
says on the tin.

What about if I changed my direct debit to 60% of 19.97, how fast would
they contact me then?

Any comments anyone?

David Callaghan
(a glass 1/3 empty person I think!?)

Old February 8th 05, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

David Callaghan wrote:
I'm also getting very slow throughput - about 60% of what I'd
expect. At tea time today I tried testing with bandwidthplace.com
which reported throughput of about 350 kilobits per second. Now
(10:36pm) it is reporting 312.1 kilobits per second. Sorry, but to
pay for a 3L engine and only get a 2L one is a Trade Description
breach in my books - and before someone else starts on about line
quality, this ADSL stuff is supposed to be good for 8MB, 16x what I'm
trying to put through it. Come on Tesco - you're product doesn't do
what is
says on the tin.

What about if I changed my direct debit to 60% of 19.97, how fast
would they contact me then?

Any comments anyone?

David Callaghan
(a glass 1/3 empty person I think!?)

Well if you read the adds they all say up to x times faster than broadband,
there is no guarantee of speeds...

Have to tried to investigated on where it's slowing down, you never know it
may be out of Tesco's control..

& lastly what can you expect from a ISP which is in bed with NTL anyway.....

Old February 10th 05, 09:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"David Callaghan" wrote in message
I'm also getting very slow throughput - about 60% of what I'd
expect. At tea time today I tried testing with bandwidthplace.com
which reported throughput of about 350 kilobits per second. Now
(10:36pm) it is reporting 312.1 kilobits per second. Sorry, but to pay
for a 3L engine and only get a 2L one is a Trade Description breach in
my books - and before someone else starts on about line quality, this
ADSL stuff is supposed to be good for 8MB, 16x what I'm trying to put
through it. Come on Tesco - you're product doesn't do what is
says on the tin.

What about if I changed my direct debit to 60% of 19.97, how fast would
they contact me then?

Any comments anyone?

Just tested my Tesco connection and I'm getting 413.2 kbs from a country
location 8 Km from the exchange.

Ian

Old February 15th 05, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tangerine_sedge

Oddly enough, I get good speeds at certain times of the day, i.e. early
in the morning & late at night (i.e. maxing out - it really is that
good!), but performance goes down after 6pm (i.e. mid 200kbps). I
wonder what the problem could be?

Could it be my extension? no
have I tried installing my drivers again? yes (well actually no, but
then we know its not them)
have I tried unplugging my modem? yes (again not really...)
have I prayed to the mighty god BT? yes, and paid my gold....

I'm being asked all these stupid questions at 50p/minute.

I can guess what the problem is, Tesco can guess what the problem is,
BT/NTL should know what the problem is (if they have performance
management tools worth their salt)!

So why can't they just provide addtional capacity at my exchange?
grrrrrrrrr!

Old February 15th 05, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

At least you have Tesco BB. I applied for it on 15 December - yes 15.12.04 -
and am still waiting for extra capacity at my local exchange (01708 - Romford)
to be provided by BT Wholesale, and still no idea when it will be (other than
soon).

Is this capacity thing a common problem and if so is a 2 month wait some sort
of record? Mind you if 200k is all I can look forward to, then I may as well
cancel. What speeds do other Tesco BB users get?

John
Reverse"jaykaybee"to reply