What kind of moron..

Old December 6th 04, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

Default What kind of moron..

...working on an ADSL ISP support desk takes half an hour to understand a
few simple statments:

1) ADSL connection not working
2) Problem affects several computers
3) Problem affects both a USB modem and a router
4) Both modem and router work on a different DSL enabled line
5) Both modem and router are synchronising to the exchange
6) PPP authentication is timing out

After half an hour of arguing, asking to speak to a superior and saying
"raise this as a fault, put me through to someone who will or give me a MAC
code so I can go to another ISP" (it still took ten minutes after that)
they finally reset their end of things and oh look it works.

Thankfully this is not my ISP but someone I was helping out.

A certain un-named support agent at Tiscali shall now be nominated for this
weeks "too dumb to do his job" award.

--
Colin
Old December 6th 04, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

"cw" wrote in message
[...]

been there

Spent last 6 weeks trying to sort a connection

Problem 1) Would noy Synch

Solution BT came and shunted the main box into the office area.

Problem 2) Took ages to synch. QUick on one pc , slow on others

Solution New VIA USB drivers backed out for older ones.

Problem 3) Dropped COnnection

Solution Line test said fault in line. BT FIxed.

Problem 4) Still dropped connections on all PC`s i tested modem on.

Solution . Ask Bt for line test.

Eventually asked for a new modem and well bugger me if that didnt work.
Latest is that the line hasnt actually been fixed.

Old December 6th 04, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

In article cw says...

After half an hour of arguing, asking to speak to a superior and saying
"raise this as a fault, put me through to someone who will or give me a MAC
code so I can go to another ISP" (it still took ten minutes after that)
they finally reset their end of things and oh look it works.

Took me three days to get someone at Claranews to disconnect my
connection to their news server as the server was showing it still open
on a previous IP address.

Got all kinds of bull**** like:
"We can't drop it because we don't know you're the account holder. The
server still shows it connected"
"Yes I ****ing know that - thats the problem. If you drop it and its not
me, the newsreader will reconnect."
"Are you sure your usenet software isn't connected?"
"Yes, the ****ing PC is switched off."

Finally got to speak to a manager who did it in 10 seconds.

--
Conor

America: A democracy so successful, even the Ukranians copy it.
Old December 7th 04, 12:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

cw wrote:

A certain un-named support agent at Tiscali shall now be nominated for this
weeks "too dumb to do his job" award.

But surely since they managed to pick the phone up the right way round
they are going to be Tiscali's star employee ????

......Oh I see they did sound a bit muffled did they........point taken !

Bill

Old December 7th 04, 12:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Oliver

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 23:38:17 -0000, Conor
wrote:

Got all kinds of bull**** like:
"We can't drop it because we don't know you're the account holder. The
server still shows it connected"
"Yes I ****ing know that - thats the problem. If you drop it and its not
me, the newsreader will reconnect."
"Are you sure your usenet software isn't connected?"
"Yes, the ****ing PC is switched off."

If you used that kind of language then I'm not surprised they were
less than helpful towards you.

Oliver.
Old December 7th 04, 12:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 00:34:00 +0000, Oliver
wrote:

If you used that kind of language then I'm not surprised they were
less than helpful towards you.

It can work.

I remember helping a very eminent anaesthetist to anaesthetise a 15
year old girl who was 8 months pregnant. As she was being induced she
was 'uncooperative'.

The anaesthetist walked over to her and said in her ear, "Shut the
**** up"; she behaved.

The rest of us looked around in amazement as nobody had heard this
chap swear before. He looked at us and said, "Just talking to her in
the language I knew she'd understand".
--
Cheers,

Guy

Old December 7th 04, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

"cw" wrote in message
[...]

I had a similar issue with tiscali last week, seventy minutes it took for me
to convince the indian women that the problem wasnt with the PC, or the
modem, but either the line, the exchange or at their end. She was unable to
accept this, as we had both lights solid on the modem.

The throughput on the line varied from 0 to 0.005k. She made me waith twenty
minutes for the broadband speedtest to work at the tiscali address. It
predictably timed out.

Gaz

--
Colin

Old December 7th 04, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
>> Wang Spawn

"Dr Teeth" wrote in message
-snip-
The anaesthetist walked over to her and said in her ear, "Shut the
**** up"; she behaved.

-snip-

If they'd spoken to my daughter like that I'd have anaesthetised them with
my napper. Mind you if my daughter was up the duff at 15 that would be the
least of her worries.

--
"Nostalgia: The good old days multiplied by a bad memory..."

Old December 7th 04, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

-snip-
The anaesthetist walked over to her and said in her ear, "Shut the
**** up"; she behaved.

-snip-

If they'd spoken to my daughter like that I'd have anaesthetised them with
my napper. Mind you if my daughter was up the duff at 15 that would be

the
least of her worries.

I would be equally worried why they needed a Dentist in the gynaecology
dept.to tell the story.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 7th 04, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Gaz wrote:
I had a similar issue with tiscali last week, seventy minutes it took for me
to convince the indian women that the problem wasnt with the PC, or the
modem, but either the line, the exchange or at their end. She was unable to
accept this, as we had both lights solid on the modem.

This can be frustrating. Recently on a support call to ntl: I had to sit
through "can you restart Windows please" etc. As I run Linux ("we don't
support Linux" - yes but you should support dhcp which is what is not
working!) I couldn't do that, but what they really wanted was for me to
restart dhcpcd after power-cycling the modem. Sometimes it's just easier
to play along with the script than to challenge it.

Zane.