TalkTalk broadband Any Good?

Old December 7th 04, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default TalkTalk broadband Any Good?

Any one know if TalKTalk broadband is any good?

John D

Old December 7th 04, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

"John" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
Any one know if TalKTalk broadband is any good?

John D

I haven't got Talk Talk broadband myself, but people who I know have, have
said so far the service has been very good.

They do currently have problems accepting Pipex's long 19 digital MAC, though
if you call them up they do seem to have a work-around, and BT have a bag log
of regrading people from 512Kb to 1024Kb, as it seems Talk Talk are gaining
plenty of customers and those who are migrating seem to be mostly going for
the 1024Kb service.

Once my contract with Pipex is up just over a week, I will be switching.

--
Current Items For Sale: http://www.bextech.me.uk/forsale
New Forum: http://www.bextech.org.uk

Old December 8th 04, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
Any one know if TalKTalk broadband is any good?

John D

I haven't got Talk Talk broadband myself, but people who I know have, have
said so far the service has been very good.

They do currently have problems accepting Pipex's long 19 digital MAC,

though
if you call them up they do seem to have a work-around, and BT have a bag

log
of regrading people from 512Kb to 1024Kb, as it seems Talk Talk are gaining
plenty of customers and those who are migrating seem to be mostly going for
the 1024Kb service.

Once my contract with Pipex is up just over a week, I will be switching.

I now won't be switching, it appears Talk Talk are restricting p2p use and
web/mail server use.

Wonder if this is port blocking and there is a work around? Will need to find
out.

Old December 8th 04, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 8 Dec 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote:

it appears Talk Talk are restricting p2p use and web/mail server use.

It will still be fine for the vast majority of users who just want an
always on connection. Since it is dynamic, the benefits of running a
server are somewhat muted, if not lost completely.

Wonder if this is port blocking and there is a work around?

I really hope not (though AFAICR you are not a user at present, so has TT
just recently changed their AUP/T+C or was this the case from launch ?)

My other ISP is UK Free Software Network www.ukfsn.org
Old December 8th 04, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

"Peter M" wrote in message
On 8 Dec 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote:

it appears Talk Talk are restricting p2p use and web/mail server use.

It will still be fine for the vast majority of users who just want an
always on connection. Since it is dynamic, the benefits of running a
server are somewhat muted, if not lost completely.

Wonder if this is port blocking and there is a work around?

I really hope not (though AFAICR you are not a user at present, so has TT
just recently changed their AUP/T+C or was this the case from launch ?)

Found out, at the moment they are not blocking any ports, web server and P2P
will still work, what they will do is if they think people are abusing the
system, is to warn them, and then terminate their service. They didn't tell
me what they consider abusive. But then I can't see that would affect me, as
I don't upload/download a great deal, somedays nothing at all, other days
maybe a couple a gig if that! Certainly even nowhere near a tenth of what
some people on PlusNet have been using.

No I'm not on Talk Talk yet for BB, but was considering chaning from my 512k
Pipex service to 1024k Talk Talk service, as I already use Talk Talk for calls
I thought the 24.99/month was a good deal.

As for running a web-server, I had made available a few pages, files and a
forum, this was running via the free NO-IP.COM service, using a cloaked .co.uk
URL. This I has now stopped and using server space elsewhere.

Old December 8th 04, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Test

icles

wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 21:47:26 -0000, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
wrote:
F They didn't tell me what they consider abusive.

All ISP's consider it abusive if you start using the service to the
full extent of what you have paid for use the service for a couple of
hours a week and they will remain happy .

Old December 9th 04, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Thanks for comments.

I have just signed up with TalkTalk - 512Kb. (I am unable to receive
1024Kb at my address) having been with Pipex Solo since it started at 19.99
+VAT.

I will report any problems (if any)

John D

Old December 9th 04, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

"John" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
Thanks for comments.

I have just signed up with TalkTalk - 512Kb. (I am unable to receive
1024Kb at my address) having been with Pipex Solo since it started at 19.99
+VAT.

I will report any problems (if any)

John D

Did you have problems with the MAC number? Or did Pipex give you a standard
length MAC?

Old December 13th 04, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Did you have problems with the MAC number? Or did Pipex give you a
standard
length MAC?

I am having great problems with TalkTalk and my Pipex MAC number. It has
been rejected twice so Talktalk tell me.

The trouble is that they do not inform me of their problems. I have to keep
phoning them.

My 30 days ends soon and so I could be left high and dry without any
broadband connection. I registered with TalkTalk the day after getting a
MAC number.

I have phoned them again today they tell me to phone them again in a few
days. This is poor service - I am doing all the chasing!

I am so far not impressed with Talktalk.

John

Old December 15th 04, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

I am so far not impressed with Talktalk.

TalkTalk now seem to have started to process my broadband application so
perhaps I have complained too soon.

It remains to be seen if I will loose my broadband connection for a while
before my TalkTalk account is opened.

John D.