I need help and advice

Old December 7th 04, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David klyne

Default I need help and advice

Hi Everyone

My current ISP is PlusNet, previously with BT. I seem to be having an
increasing amount of problems with my connection. Often the sync light will
go out and although it does try to re-sync it can take some time before its
showing on rather than not there or flashing. When its working the internet
can be painfully slow, much quicker to use dial-up!! If the sync light is on
e-mail generally does not seem to be a problem its only connections via the
web. I use a Netgear 814 Router. I have a BT installed ADSL socket with the
built in filter so I am not sure how easy this would be to test. When my
connection goes down and I ring PlusNet they say they can see I am still
connected and I should switch off the modem for an hour. My dilemma is to
know where the problem lies. Is it at PlusNet, if so many others would be
affected. I it the Router but this seems to work fine for a lot of the time
and then just drops. Do I change ISP and would this solve the problem? Any
ideas for solutions would be appreciated.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk
site reports
For Grand Prix Fans www.donkeydoesf1.co.uk

Old December 7th 04, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 19:39:57 UTC, "David klyne"
wrote:

My current ISP is PlusNet, previously with BT. I seem to be having an
increasing amount of problems with my connection. Often the sync light will
go out and although it does try to re-sync it can take some time before its
showing on rather than not there or flashing. When its working the internet
can be painfully slow, much quicker to use dial-up!! If the sync light is on
e-mail generally does not seem to be a problem its only connections via the
web.

Sounds very much like your phone line is developing a fault. I had
similar problems, but it was more accelerated, and my phone stopped
working completely. BT fixed it within 90 minutes, and all was fine
again.

Do I change ISP and would this solve the problem?

Not if it's the phone line. Same line, same problem. Get on to the ISP
and get BT to test the line. Or even phone up and get an automatic line
test, although it may not detect just a 'flaky' line.

--
[Davism - a condition by which the sufferer experiences an inability
euthanasia recommended. (also known as Gee-axia)]
Old December 8th 04, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 19:39:57 -0000, "David klyne"
wrote:

When my
connection goes down and I ring PlusNet they say they can see I am still
connected and I should switch off the modem for an hour. My dilemma is to
know where the problem lies.

Do what +Net suggests at the beginning, even if you have the knowledge
to know that it won't work. It is important with diagnoses to follow
the path which will lead to clarification.

I have been in a similar position and only done as requested, so it
would leave me in a much stronger position if the problem were
unresolved.

With +Net you will get the problem solved.
--
Cheers,

Guy