3COM router: maintaining a connection

Old December 8th 04, 04:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband

Default 3COM router: maintaining a connection

I've just replaced a Netgear DG814 router with a 3COM 3CRWE754G72-A
OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall Router (fair trips of the tongue,
doesn't it?).

It appears that the 3COM regularly drops the ADSL connection as I find that
the Online LED is off (although the Sync light remains on). This *appears*
to be after I have turned the computer off, or when I have'nt accessed the
router for a while.

Is there a way to ensure that it remains connected 24/7? On the Netgear I
set Timeout to 0 to achieve this but I can't find an equivalent setting on
the 3COM.

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
Old December 8th 04, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

F wrote:

I've just replaced a Netgear DG814 router with a 3COM 3CRWE754G72-A
OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall Router (fair trips of the
tongue, doesn't it?).

It appears that the 3COM regularly drops the ADSL connection as I
find that the Online LED is off (although the Sync light remains on).
This *appears* to be after I have turned the computer off, or when I
have'nt accessed the router for a while.

Is there a way to ensure that it remains connected 24/7? On the
Netgear I set Timeout to 0 to achieve this but I can't find an
equivalent setting on the 3COM.

Log on to the Admin menu and go to the Internet Settings page. Towards the
bottom, there is a box for 'Dial on demand' and another for 'Idle Time
(Minutes)'

I haven't had this problem since I ticked the Dial on Demand box (so that it
will automatically re-connect if it *does* disconnect) and set the Idle Time
to 3600 minutes (60 hours).

Experiment with these until it does what you want.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old December 8th 04, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in
:

I haven't had this problem since I ticked the Dial on Demand box (so
that it will automatically re-connect if it *does* disconnect) and set
the Idle Time to 3600 minutes (60 hours).

Thanks for the pointer, appreciated. It looks as though that is the
culprit, although I think you might have got it reversed.

The help menu says: 'The Dial on Demand feature is used to automatically
disconnect the router from your ISP when there is no activity for a
specified period of time. For instance, placing a checkmark next to this
option and entering 5 into the minute field will cause the router to
disconnect from the Internet after 5 minutes of no Internet activity. This
option should be used if you pay for your Internet service by the minute'.

I read this a meaning take the tick out of the checkbox to stop it
automatically disconnecting... As mine had the tick and 5 minutes already
set, I've removed the tick. Will see what happens!

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
Old December 8th 04, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant

"F" et wrote in message

As mine had the tick and 5 minutes
already set, I've removed the tick. Will see what happens!

Mine has a tick and 0 minutes and never disconnects.

Old December 8th 04, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Grant" wrote in :

Mine has a tick and 0 minutes and never disconnects.

Aah! The Netgear needed 0 minutes to keep it always on. If removing the
tick and leaving 5 minutes doesn't work on the 3COM, I'll insert a 0.

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative
Old December 8th 04, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen \(aka steford\)

F wrote:
"Grant" wrote in
:

Mine has a tick and 0 minutes and never disconnects.

Aah! The Netgear needed 0 minutes to keep it always on. If removing
the tick and leaving 5 minutes doesn't work on the 3COM, I'll insert
a 0.

Ticked and 0 is the way to go.

Also don't forget the hidden goodies listed here for setting time server,
DDNS etc.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...7947~mode=flat

Old December 8th 04, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

F wrote:

I read this a meaning take the tick out of the checkbox to stop it
automatically disconnecting... As mine had the tick and 5 minutes
already set, I've removed the tick. Will see what happens!

I think that the Help file doesn't tell the whole story!

If you *don't* tick the box, and the line drops for some reason other than
an inactivity timeout, it won't automatically re-connect, and you'll need to
do it manually.

So tick the box, and set the timeout either to zero (which appears to work,
according to others) or to a very high value, like I did.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old December 8th 04, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Tiscali Tim" wrote in
:

If you *don't* tick the box, and the line drops for some reason other
than an inactivity timeout, it won't automatically re-connect, and
you'll need to do it manually.

Just discovered that the hard way!

So tick the box, and set the timeout either to zero (which appears to
work, according to others) or to a very high value, like I did.

I've ticked and set to 0 now so hopefully it's fixed. Thanks for the help.

Beware spamtrap - remove the negative