With what to replace a Speedtouch 330 ???

Old December 8th 04, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hugh

Default With what to replace a Speedtouch 330 ???

Request for assistance please.

I connect via a 512Kb connection to Vispa who are very good. Use XP
(including SP2). Our desktop is connected via the modem and my laptop
connects to the desktop via a wireless network. I am happy with this
arrangement.

Problem is that I use a an old Speedtouch 330 modem supplied by Tiscali
before we parted company.

It ran well for a long time but recently I have had to re-boot to get the
modem working and sometimes to reinstall the modem software - including the
update.

I don't need anything particularly special but don't know where to start
researching a replacement.

Protection is currently via Norton 2004 internet security, AdAware and
Spybot.

Suggestions please for a modem and/or router or advice on where I can find
advice.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hugh

NB - PLEASE REPLY VIA GROUP.

Old December 8th 04, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Stewart

"Hugh" x-directory wrote in message
[...]

No specfic models in mind but I'd recommend getting a router with a firewall
and ADSL modem built in.

It's the best way to keep your system secure these days and will minimise
the number of boxes you need as well.

I use the Speedtouch 530 which has served me well so far but has the
disadvantage of having only one ethernet port although this only matters if
you want to connect more than one PC.

The only reason I have this particular model is because I got it on offer
for 20 when I started with BTYahoo but it does everything I need at the
moment and more.

Check out ADSL Guide for reviews of various routers and other equipment.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

Stephen

Old December 8th 04, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Seddon

[...]

I started off with a 330 but then got a sitecom homestation which
occasionally dropped the connection and then gave up the ghost after 12
months and 4 days. Now have a netgear DG834G, a doddle to set up. and works
great every time.

Peter.

Old December 8th 04, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

No specfic models in mind but I'd recommend getting a router with a firewall
and ADSL modem built in.

....on that point, a typical router will use NAT which is effectively a
natural firewall - they remember what your internal network had asked for
off the internet, and effectively ignore anything that you hadn`t asked
for.

The only exception is if you have port forwarding set up, i.e. in case
you wanted to run a server of some sort (VNC / FTP / www etc) in which
case you want these requests to be seen (hence the forwarding)

Old December 8th 04, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

Modemwise I have to say I found an MRI device that I installed today to be
unique. It is a standard size white box with the normal 1*USB and 1*RJ11
DSL port. What is not standard about it is that it is actually a router
posing as a modem.
Install it, load up the drivers and a new network adaptor appears. You then
access the modem through its IP address and the Internet through NAT over
the device.
So you get all the advantages of a router with the simplicity of a modem -
coupled with the extra advantage of not having to use DUN.

The only problem is finding a supplier. mri.co.uk has some black boxes
listed but doesn't list the white box as a product.

If you know anyone with a trade account at CMS (Liverpool) the product ID
is 2110-3022

At home I personally have a Westell 6100 from broadbandstore.co.uk and it
has been a decent little box.

--
Colin
Old December 9th 04, 09:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith \(UK\)

[...]

Sounds like a wireless ADSL modem router would be ideal. I got a Belkin one
a while back, and have no trouble with it. It cost 70 at the time (it is a
54Mbs one), but you can probably find cheaper now.

You would be able to connect to the web with your laptop over wireless
without your PC turned on, and plug your PC into one of the 4 ethernet
ports.

Bob

Old December 9th 04, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Monro

"Hugh" x-directory wrote:

[...]

I'd strongly suggest going for a combined modem/router - it'll probably
save you hassle in the future. I've just got a Zyxel Prestige 650H-E
from http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/ 37.49 inc VAT. Includes CAT-5
patch cable, but you might need to get a network card.
--
Alex Monro, Exeter, UK The good thing about being a pessimist
alexm at pobox dot com (No HTML) is that you have more chance of a
Old December 9th 04, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade

"Bob Smith (UK)" [email protected] wrote in message

[...]

I have set two of these up now and had issues with both. I would not
recommend them :-(

Old December 9th 04, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 9 Dec 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "David Wade" wrote:

Sounds like a wireless ADSL modem router would be ideal. I got a Belkin
one a while back, and have no trouble with it.

I have set two of these up now and had issues with both. I would not
recommend them :-(

While others are still happily using theirs! Perhaps you could clarify
what "issues" arose with these units (and what devices were being used
to connect to them, after all, it takes two ends to not talk if these
were wireless 'issues'). FWIW, one I set up communicates at its low
speed with a couple of remote PCs each using USB wireless adaptors
(on the end of approx 1m to 1.5m of cable); ISP is Plus.Net. Peter M.

My other ISP is UK Free Software Network www.ukfsn.org
Old December 9th 04, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Smith \(UK\)

"David Wade" wrote in message

[...]

Mine was a bit flaky at first (disconnecting from the ADSL about once a day)
until I burned the latest firmware. Been fine after that.

And the "redirecting you to the belkin website" atrocity was not present in
mine.

Bob