Can I connect to my home pc from work?

Old December 9th 04, 09:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Noel S Pamfree

Default Can I connect to my home pc from work?

Since Broadband arrived in my rural village I obviously have my own IP
address.

I was wondering if it would ever be possible to access my home pc from
work - especially as a US Robotics router (USR9003) with a firewall sits
between the outside world and our two home pcs. All machines use Windows XP
as an operating system.

Any help appreciated.

Noel

Old December 9th 04, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Loades

In message , Noel S Pamfree
writes

Since Broadband arrived in my rural village I obviously have my own IP
address.

You mean a static IP address? It doesn't have to be static but is
easier if it is.

I was wondering if it would ever be possible to access my home pc from
work

No problem. Just decide what you mean by 'access'. If you want to see
the screen of your home machine and work on your home PC as if you were
sitting in front of it Win VNC will do the trick. If you simply want to
transfer files to and from the home PC then set it up as an ftp server.

- especially as a US Robotics router (USR9003) with a firewall sits
between the outside world and our two home pcs. All machines use Windows XP
as an operating system.

All firewalls should be configurable to allow certain IP addresses (your
office IP address) access to your machine. Or, you could open the ports
these applications need but don't forget to set secure passwords for the
applications.
Old December 9th 04, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Malcolm Loades" wrote in message
In message , Noel S Pamfree
writes

Since Broadband arrived in my rural village I obviously have my own IP
address.

You mean a static IP address? It doesn't have to be static but is
easier if it is.

I was wondering if it would ever be possible to access my home pc from
work

No problem. Just decide what you mean by 'access'. If you want to see
the screen of your home machine and work on your home PC as if you were
sitting in front of it Win VNC will do the trick. If you simply want to
transfer files to and from the home PC then set it up as an ftp server.

The answer also depends on what your employer permits.

--

Michael Chare

Old December 9th 04, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Lord

"Noel S Pamfree" wrote in message

Since Broadband arrived in my rural village I obviously have my own IP
address.

I was wondering if it would ever be possible to access my home pc from
work - especially as a US Robotics router (USR9003) with a firewall sits
between the outside world and our two home pcs. All machines use Windows
XP as an operating system.

Any help appreciated.

Try www.logmein.com . The basic version is completely free but only allows
remote control rather than file transfer & synchronisation etc, but you can
use it to email yourself files if you need them. I use it to work on the
accounts system at a client's office. It works so well I rarely have to
visit them now. It's fully encrypted and works through routers at both end
with no configuration whatsoever.

The only worry I would have is whether the company itself can be trusted
with full access to your data.

Andy

Old December 9th 04, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Any help appreciated.

IIRC VNC also has a java viewer that might get you around many
restrictions that might be put in place by your employer...

Old December 9th 04, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Lord

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
Any help appreciated.

IIRC VNC also has a java viewer that might get you around many
restrictions that might be put in place by your employer...

It's a bit poor on the encryption front though isn't it?

Old December 10th 04, 12:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

IIRC VNC also has a java viewer that might get you around many
restrictions that might be put in place by your employer...

It's a bit poor on the encryption front though isn't it?

Never tried it as an encrypted connection tbh - it only runs when I want
it to, and I can close it down remotely. Its a useful tool if you need
access, but not one I would want to leave running unattended as a service

Old December 10th 04, 09:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Quinton

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 22:10:07 -0000, Colin Wilson
wrote:

Any help appreciated.

IIRC VNC also has a java viewer that might get you around many
restrictions that might be put in place by your employer...

Wouldn't VPN be suitable?

I know that my Router (Draytek) has an inbuilt VPN server and I'm
looking forward to strikehaving a play with it/strike setting it
up professionally - if and as and when BB gets installed here...
--
Interesting Xmas gifts: http://www.awin1.com/tclick.php?id=405&mid=182 . http://BizOrg.co.uk/shopping/
Locate your Mobile phone: http://www.bizorg.co.uk/news.html
Old December 10th 04, 09:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

David Quinton wrote:

Any help appreciated.

IIRC VNC also has a java viewer that might get you around many
restrictions that might be put in place by your employer...

Wouldn't VPN be suitable?

It doesn't stop you breaking employer rules if they exist and in my own
organisation would lead to a written warning at the very least.
Old December 10th 04, 10:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Quinton

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:42:11 +0000, Hiram Hackenbacker
wrote:

Wouldn't VPN be suitable?

It doesn't stop you breaking employer rules if they exist and in my own
organisation would lead to a written warning at the very least.

True. Sorry, I posted in repsonse to your point when it was really a
more general comment to the OP's query...