BB checker says "YES" but Virgin.net says "NO" -- why?

Old December 9th 04, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Simon Langford

Default BB checker says "YES" but Virgin.net says "NO" -- why?

Hello all,

I'm trying to get broadband but am having problems that I don't
understand.

We moved house last year, and in my previous house my dialup speed was
45kbps. In the new house, it's down to 28kbps. I called BT about

this & they said there might be a DACS on the line and they wouldn't
remove it unless I ordered broadband.

The online BB checker says I should be able to have ADSL no problem. So
I recently signed up with Virgin broadband (no contract). But they
rejected the application, quoting some technical reason. When I phoned
to ask what, they quoted "BT cost limits".

When I called BT, they said there's no DACS on the line and ADSL
installation should be straightforward.

I don't understand why my dialup is so slow. If there's no DACS, what
can be causing the slow connection. I also don't understand why Virgin
rejected my application for broadband.

If you can understand what might be going on, I'd love to find out. I
should say I live in a small village connected to the Malmesbury
exchange.

Thanks.

Simon.
Old December 9th 04, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Ronny

"Simon Langford" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/

Check there first, and do a search on your phone number and postcode, then
try a different ISP, or even try BT, there not a bad ISP and at least you
will get the real reason you can't get service.

Ronny

Old December 10th 04, 05:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Gee

We moved house last year, and in my previous house my dialup speed was
45kbps. In the new house, it's down to 28kbps. I called BT about

this & they said there might be a DACS on the line and they wouldn't
remove it unless I ordered broadband.

Check:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archi...aqs/btfaq5.htm

They can;t bully you into this. You are allowed to sign up to any ISP you
want and they will have to change your line if its DACS, as Oftel says upon
REASONABLE request. So get writing and requesting and keep copies in case
you need to contact Oftel.

For more ISP's and their users reviews start he
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/wwwthreads.php?Cat=&C=2

and here : http://www.ispreview.co.uk/

Let us know what happens

Old December 10th 04, 11:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Paul Woodsford

Virgin refused your request for BB because BT told them they couldn't supply
it to your number. They are the retailer, BT supplies them.
Try and get something in writing from BT.
You will probably have this problem with every ISP as they will apply to or
check with BT before agreeing a contract.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old December 11th 04, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
kraftee

Paul Woodsford wrote:
Virgin refused your request for BB because BT told them they couldn't
supply it to your number. They are the retailer, BT supplies them.
Try and get something in writing from BT.
You will probably have this problem with every ISP as they will apply
to or check with BT before agreeing a contract.

Agreed, but some ISP's are more likeley to ask why & actually 'champion' the
customers cause than others...

Old December 11th 04, 12:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Ian

"Ronny" wrote in message

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/

I tried that link for my postcode and it said I could get ADSL from BT and
cable from NTL. The former is correct but there is no cable within a mile of
here. So be careful what information you rely upon.

Ian