Broadband, POTS and VOIP question

Old December 9th 04, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Default Broadband, POTS and VOIP question

Hi,

I have broadband and a BT telephone line (with a number ported from
NTL)

If I were to use a VOIP provider for my telephone (such as Vonage)
could I cease my BT telephone service but still retain my broadband
access?

Would there be a reduction in line rental ? (i.e. no more BT option 2)

Is there an element of my line rental that covers the broadband bit of
the service BT supplies me, or does none/some/all of the rental
disappear?

--
Cheers

Peter

Remove the INVALID to reply
Old December 9th 04, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Hi,

I have broadband and a BT telephone line (with a number ported from
NTL)

If I were to use a VOIP provider for my telephone (such as Vonage)
could I cease my BT telephone service but still retain my broadband
access?

Would there be a reduction in line rental ? (i.e. no more BT option 2)

Is there an element of my line rental that covers the broadband bit of
the service BT supplies me, or does none/some/all of the rental
disappear?

--
Cheers

Peter

Remove the INVALID to reply

No BT won't do this.

You have to pay line rental, If you choose not to make (or recieve) calls
its your buisness, they still want the same line rental.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 9th 04, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Peter wrote:
Hi,

I have broadband and a BT telephone line (with a number ported from
NTL)

If I were to use a VOIP provider for my telephone (such as Vonage)
could I cease my BT telephone service but still retain my broadband
access?

No. How would you maintain a broadband connection without a phone line..?
It is possible to do it with a cable provider (with lots of haggling and
hassle) but not if your ADSL is over BT.

Would there be a reduction in line rental ? (i.e. no more BT option
2)

Is there an element of my line rental that covers the broadband bit
of the service BT supplies me, or does none/some/all of the rental
disappear?

Your line rental is for the line. Your broadband rental is for broadband.
The two are separate. Whether you use the phone line for calls is
irrelevant, you need the connection to the exchange to get broadband..!

Re. VoIP, I'd be very wary of relying on it completely, it's still
relatively new technology and will not be 100% reliable for a while yet I
think. Also AFAIK most systems don't (yet) permit 999 calls, but I may be
wrong. Certainly the service I use (Sipgate) doesn't as yet, although they
do plan to introduce it.

Ivor

Old December 9th 04, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Peter wrote:

Hi,

I have broadband and a BT telephone line (with a number ported from
NTL)

If I were to use a VOIP provider for my telephone (such as Vonage)
could I cease my BT telephone service but still retain my broadband
access?

Would there be a reduction in line rental ? (i.e. no more BT option 2)

Is there an element of my line rental that covers the broadband bit of
the service BT supplies me, or does none/some/all of the rental
disappear?

The BT line basic rental (incuding the now non-optional Together Option1)
covers the physical copper wire between your house and the exchange. Without
this, you can't have broadband - so you have to pay the rental even if you
don't use the line for any voice traffic.

*On top of* the line rental, you have to pay your ISP for the ADSL service.

*On top of* that, you have to pay your VOIP provider for any non-free VOIP
calls you might make.

Does this answer the question?
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old December 9th 04, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Peter wrote:
Hi,

I have broadband and a BT telephone line (with a number ported from
NTL)

If I were to use a VOIP provider for my telephone (such as Vonage)
could I cease my BT telephone service but still retain my broadband
access?

Would there be a reduction in line rental ? (i.e. no more BT option 2)

Is there an element of my line rental that covers the broadband bit of
the service BT supplies me, or does none/some/all of the rental
disappear?

You could change to option 1.

Whatever you do you still need to pay BT for the network to carry your ADSL
(i.e line rental)

Old December 10th 04, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 20:29:53 -0000, "Tiscali Tim"

Peter wrote:

Hi,

I have broadband and a BT telephone line (with a number ported from
NTL)

If I were to use a VOIP provider for my telephone (such as Vonage)
could I cease my BT telephone service but still retain my broadband
access?

Would there be a reduction in line rental ? (i.e. no more BT option 2)

Is there an element of my line rental that covers the broadband bit of
the service BT supplies me, or does none/some/all of the rental
disappear?

The BT line basic rental (incuding the now non-optional Together Option1)
covers the physical copper wire between your house and the exchange. Without
this, you can't have broadband - so you have to pay the rental even if you
don't use the line for any voice traffic.

OK, I understand that - Do BT's terms & conditions of service make any
reference to renting the copper only?

*On top of* the line rental, you have to pay your ISP for the ADSL service.

I do that now - no problem there

*On top of* that, you have to pay your VOIP provider for any non-free VOIP
calls you might make.

No problem there either

Does this answer the question?

I think so - except I'm still unclear as to what the savings are if I
decided not to take a POTs from BT - surely there must be a saving,
after all I'm not occupying any of their switch equipment am I?

--
Cheers

Peter

Remove the INVALID to reply
Old December 11th 04, 12:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Peter wrote:

[...]

Perhaps so,
but as BT do not and, (unless OFCOM forced them to), will not, give you that
option, the argument is academic.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 11th 04, 12:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Peter wrote:
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 20:29:53 -0000, "Tiscali Tim"
wrote:

[snip]

I think so - except I'm still unclear as to what the savings are if
I decided not to take a POTs from BT - surely there must be a
saving, after all I'm not occupying any of their switch equipment
am I?

You *can't* opt not to have a POTS as you call it - you *have* to rent the
line, that line comes with a phone service, whether you like it/use it or
not.

Ivor

Old December 11th 04, 12:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:58:38 +0000, Peter
wrote:

I think so - except I'm still unclear as to what the savings are if I
decided not to take a POTs from BT - surely there must be a saving,
after all I'm not occupying any of their switch equipment am I?

There's no saving. You pay BT

1) a line rental. They rent you the line. You can use it for DSL,
voice or a 48v power source if you want. Or nothing at all. They don't
care much.

2) a usage-based charge to make phone calls. Make zero calls = save
money.

Additionally you pay your ISP for DSL provision. Some of this goes
back to BT for the cost of the DSLAMs etc.

Old December 11th 04, 12:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Peter wrote:

I think so - except I'm still unclear as to what the savings are if I
decided not to take a POTs from BT - surely there must be a saving,
after all I'm not occupying any of their switch equipment am I?

The simple fact is that you choose not to have a POTS, you can't have ADSL
either!

ADSL needs *wires* - it doesn't travel through the ether!

--
Cheers,
Tim