"ADSL Incompatible line concentrator" - Help!

Old December 9th 04, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default "ADSL Incompatible line concentrator" - Help!

Can anyone who knows BT/telco infrastructure help me here, please? I've
recently moved house, and so asked my ISP (Plusnet) to cease and
re-provide at my new address (2 minutes down the road...gggrrr..).

Guess what..? 3 weeks later, I get a call from Plusnet to say that BT
had just cancelled the re-provide order due to an "adsl incompatible
line concentrator".

Putting the sensible (but no doubt flawed) punter logic of "but i've
only moved down the road" to one side for a minute, can anyone help
with the following:

- What's a line concentrator, - and why would mine be "adsl
incompatible"?

- Is there any point in making a fuss about this with BT? - are they
likely to 'fix' this problem if I kick up enough of a stink?

- If I got a new line installed, can this new line bypass the
incompatible concentrator?

Can you sense the air of desperation in my writing here... :-) At the
moment, it's either a new line for FRIACO, Satellite (not ideal, as I
need upload capacity too) or ISDN.
So any help's appreciated...

Cheers,
JB

Old December 9th 04, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

[...]

I imagine it's a DACS
In case you don't know a DACS is a modern day equivalent of an old fashioned
Party-Line
It allows 2 subscribers to share the same pair of copper wires.
although at least with a DACS both parties can use the line at the same
time!

BT are supposed to remove the DACS when an ADSL order is received but no
doubt this will be dependent on available lines.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 9th 04, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Not sure if it makes any difference, - but I retained the tel. no from
my old property when moving to the new one...

Old December 9th 04, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Not sure if it makes any difference, - but I retained the tel. no from
my old property when moving to the new one...

Makes no difference, it will be a different physical circuit.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 9th 04, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Graham,

Thanks for the info, - it was definitely line concentrator. In fact the
return info from BT Wholesale Provisioning was "LINE CONCENTRATOR - NOT
COMPATIBLE WITH ADSL.". Which is nice.
Do you think it's worth me perusing this with BT?

Thanks,
JB

Old December 9th 04, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

TPON? (where the lines on some newer estates go back to a local
concentrator, then fibre to the exchange).

If it is TPON you might be in big trouble.

Do a Google search on TPON and the name of your exchange.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 9th 04, 10:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Mmm...just found this http://www.nicc.org.uk/Public/INTFR-I1.PDF -
doesn't look overly promising:

"3.5.2 Line Concentrators

There is a family of analogue switching concentrator systems that are
used in a small number of sites to provide a higher degree of pair gain
than is provided by the WB900 or DACS systems. The line concentrators
use analogue transmission for the voice channels so for spectral
compatability purposes are not different from analogue voice lines.
However a customer has no permanent metallic path, so these systems
prevent DSL connection."
Which, - I think - means i'm shafted..... :-(