Problems with Netgear WGR614 & Dlink dsl-300T

Old December 10th 04, 12:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pascal Herczog

Default Problems with Netgear WGR614 & Dlink dsl-300T

I am stumped on this one, so I really hope someone can help me!

My PC (XP) can connect to the internet fine if connected directly to the
d-link modem. So, the modem is configured ok, and my PC gets its IP address
from the ISP passed through (e.g. static 83.99.11.11), and has its gateway
pointing to the modem at 192.168.1.1 (which is an address set in the modem),
along with the ISP DNS address at 212....

BUT, when I connect my PC to my Netgear WGR614, and it to the modem, I can't
access the internet. The configurations appear to have been set up ok, but I
just can't see past the router.

So, my PC gets its IP address from the router, as 192.168.0.2, whilst the
router is visible at 192.168.0.1.

If I log into my router using IE, then I can view its connection status.
This shows that the router has been given the static address (83.99.11.11)
by the modem, and also shows it knows what the DNS server address is. I can
therefore access the router login page via both the 192.168.0.1 and the
83.99.11.11 address.

However, I cannot ping the DNS server or any other web IP address, and I
also cannot see 192.168.1.1.

I've tried connecting my portable to the router at the same time, and it
also cannot see the internet. It was not running any firewall at the time
(win2k). My PC uses ZoneAlarm, but the problem remains if I disable it.

My PC can see other devices attached to the router, which are at 192.168.0.3
etc. The Netgear router is the original version (v1), though I have upgraded
the firmware to version 1126.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!!

Pascal.

Old December 10th 04, 12:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

NAT turned off or firewall issues (if the Netgear has a built in
firewall..)?

--
Colin
Old December 10th 04, 12:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pascal Herczog

Hmm - don't think that I could find a NAT entry on the routers web config
pages.

I think the Netgear has some sort of firewall, is it called SPI (stateful
packet inspection)?

Not sure if this is meant to interfere with my own generated traffic. But I
cannot 'see' what goes on between the router and the modem, as I can't see
the modem nor its config pages.

Forgot to mention, I have the modem connected to the WAN port of the router
and the routers WAN led is on suggesting all is well. It even flickers
sometimes when I try ping or other commands

Hope you've got some more suggestions!
Thanks,
Pascal

Old December 10th 04, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill Middleton

Hi Colin, the 300T auto locates the DHCP of the unit it first attached to -
in your case the PC - disconnect it form your PC - reset the 300T - set your
router to get the DHCP automatically (don't set it for PPPoA re E etc.)
connect the router WAN port to the 300T and your PC to a LAN port power up
the modem - you should then be able to access the modem (300T) thro' your
router to setup. see link below

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...nk-dsl300t.asp

Bill M.

Old December 10th 04, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill Middleton

Additional info:
Using the D-Link DSL-300T with a router

Configuring the DSL-300T to use with an Ethernet router such as the Linksys
WRT-54G is very simple. Simply connect the Ethernet port of the modem to the
Internet port of the router, and ensure that the router is configured to get
its Internet IP address via DHCP.

Initially when you first connect the modem to the router, it will hand the
router an IP address in the range 192.168.1.x. This means you need to ensure
your router does not become confused by using the 192.168.1.x range for its
LAN interface. If it does you should change the LAN IP range of the router
for example to 192.168.0.x.

The actual configuration of the DSL-300T, can take place from a computer
connected to the router, simply by opening the web page http://192.168.1.1/
and setting the modem up as shown above. Then once the modem is configured
and has authenticated with the ISP the Internet IP address on the router
should become the one your ISP has assigned you. Some routers may need you
to manually trigger the renewal of the IP address on the Internet interface,
either via their web configuration or switching the unit off and on again.

Bill M

Old December 10th 04, 05:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 23:04:01 -0000, "Pascal Herczog"
wrote:

I am stumped on this one, so I really hope someone can help me!

My PC (XP) can connect to the internet fine if connected directly to the
d-link modem. So, the modem is configured ok, and my PC gets its IP address
from the ISP passed through (e.g. static 83.99.11.11), and has its gateway
pointing to the modem at 192.168.1.1 (which is an address set in the modem),
along with the ISP DNS address at 212....

This is your problem - your router and PC are sharing the same IP
address, the router cannot handle this How did your PC get the IP
address which the ISP has assigned to you?

Manually set the IP address of your PC to 192.168.1.10 (has to be
192.168.1.xx, except 1), subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, and default
gateway of 192.168.1.1. Set DNS to whatever is given to you by your
ISP. This should now work, although I would strongly recommend this:
turn on the DHCP server in the router and set your PC to automatically
obtain all the network configuration.

Hope this helps!
Old December 11th 04, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pascal Herczog

wrote:

I am stumped on this one, so I really hope someone can help me!

My PC (XP) can connect to the internet fine if connected directly to the
d-link modem. So, the modem is configured ok, and my PC gets its IP
address
from the ISP passed through (e.g. static 83.99.11.11), and has its gateway
pointing to the modem at 192.168.1.1 (which is an address set in the
modem),
along with the ISP DNS address at 212....

This is your problem - your router and PC are sharing the same IP
address, the router cannot handle this How did your PC get the IP
address which the ISP has assigned to you?

_IF_ my PC is connected directly to the modem, the modem does pass the
assigned ISP IP address through to my PC. (i.e. a ipconfig /all shows that
the IP address is 83.99.x)

But, when I connect my modem to the router WAN port, and my PC to the router
LAN port, then my PC gets its IP address from the router DHCP, so it is
192.168.0.2).

Whenever I try to access an internet site, I note that both the routers WAN
light (green, showing connected) and the modem's ethernet port flash a few
times, simultaneously. But I have no idea what is happening on that link,
because all my accesses time out.

I've tried to manually assign IP addresses, to no avail. It seems the DHCP
assignments are working correctly.

I would really appreciate any further thoughts on this!

Thanks
Pascal

Old December 11th 04, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pascal Herczog

wrote:

I am stumped on this one, so I really hope someone can help me!

A further clue in this puzzle, is that when I have the modem connected to my
router, and my PC to the router, with the modem connected to the internet I
cannot 'see' the modem, as described. BUT, when I unplug the telephone cable
from the modem, such that the modem reverts back to passing on its own DHCP
address to the router, ie. the router sees the WAN interface on 192.168.1.2,
THEN the modem is visible on 192.168.1.1, from my PC on the router LAN port
at 192.168.0.2

So, I know that the router can talk to the modem, it just doesn't seem to
know what to do when its being given the ISP WAN IP address, instead of the
modems DHCP address.

Does this help?

Thanks,
Pascal

Old December 11th 04, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pascal Herczog

"Bill Middleton" wrote in message
Hi Colin, the 300T auto locates the DHCP of the unit it first attached
to - in your case the PC - disconnect it form your PC - reset the 300T -
set your router to get the DHCP automatically (don't set it for PPPoA re E
etc.) connect the router WAN port to the 300T and your PC to a LAN port
power up the modem - you should then be able to access the modem (300T)
thro' your router to setup. see link below

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...nk-dsl300t.asp

This is, I think, exactly how I did it so far. The router can see its been
given the internet IP address on its WAN interface, and it is set not to
require a login. Perhaps someone could explain if this is important, as I
don;t fully understand this aspect in the context of the modem already
having logged in with the ISP (i.e it wouldnt have got the ISP IP address,
otherwise).

But, I cannot access the modem, nor the internet.

Thanks,
Pascal.

Old December 12th 04, 09:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill Middleton

Pascal, did you setup your 300T thro' you PC initially? is your router
internet connection "WAN" set to "Dynamic IP Address" ? - as stated the 300T
automatically sets up to the first unit its connected too - and if this was
your PC it wont then work with your router - so you then need to reset the
300T and reconnect thro' the router - whose IP Address is set not to
conflict i.e 192.168.0.X - 255.255.255.0 if this does not work - then you
may want to try setting the 300T to "Bridging Mode" and setup your Internet
thro' your router.