Not connected/Am connected Network - Help please

Old December 11th 04, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hugh

Default Not connected/Am connected Network - Help please

Hello and thanks to those who suggested what to do to replace my old
Speedtouch 330.

Since I already had an ad hoc connection between desktop and laptop via
Belkin 802.11g technology (?) I went with a Belkin wireless router
FSD7630-4A.

Router is wired to desktop and wirelessed to laptop.

Snag is now that when I attempt to access internet via IE some pages load
(not already stored) but others think I am offline and will not.

Both desktop and laptop run windows XP. I have tried to convince desktop
that it now connects to the internet via a network rather than direct but
perhaps I have missed something. Anyone got any ideas.

BTW setting up the network was a doddle - thanks to ADLSguide.org.uk whose
review gives set up instructions.

Hugh

PLEASE reply to group.

Old December 11th 04, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
popeye

Hugh,

Change the firmware to the SMC version of the router, Belkins
version is buggy as hell.

http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=d...oadType=0&os=0

Old December 11th 04, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Plowman

[...]

You could try this discussion forum, there are frequently good tips
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/belkin (I have found solutions for
some of my 7630 woes there).

Check you've got the latest Belkin fimware, it did seem to solve some
issues for some people. Latest version is 1.08.03UK.
With a little luck this
http://search.belkin.com/cgi-bin/Msm...RG=&CFGNAME=Ms
sFind%2Ecfg&host_id=42&page_id=10948608&query=firm ware+f5d76304a&hiword=firm
ware+f5d76304a+F5D76304+
(yes honestly!) should take you there.

You could also try Belkin support (00 800 223 55 460), I have found them
surprisingly helpful on occasions. Not sure how they'd react if you had
a 3rd party firmware though...

David

Old December 12th 04, 01:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Edmondson

Hugh,

Change the firmware to the SMC version of the router, Belkins
version is buggy as hell.

http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=d...oadType=0&os=0

I thought I'd give this a go earlier and the upgrade from the Belkin
firmware to the SMC firmware went very smoothely. It did turn into an RTFM
moment. I saw the logon screen and went cold. What was the password? Oh
dear - no internet access so no way of finding the password.

After a few minutes of trying things I realised there was a .txt file in the
ROM zip file. There was the password. Serves me right. I should practice
what I preach to my students.

Anyway, the user interface is a lot nicer than the Belkin one, and there
seems to be many more options in the SMC version.

Cheers for the advice,

Gareth Edmondson