Security

Old December 12th 04, 03:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

Default Security

No matter what you want to know about Broadband the answer comes
flying back in no time at all, and lurking around here you can learn
an awful lot. However I would like to seek opinions on something very
basic: What should a newbie do to tie down his/here security to avoid
'meltdown' within 20 minutes of connecting to Broadband?

In escalating order of importance would be nice.

DCB
Old December 12th 04, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Greg Hennessy

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:19:36 +0000, David Bradley
wrote:

No matter what you want to know about Broadband the answer comes
flying back in no time at all, and lurking around here you can learn
an awful lot. However I would like to seek opinions on something very
basic: What should a newbie do to tie down his/here security to avoid
'meltdown' within 20 minutes of connecting to Broadband?

1. Use a broadband/DSL router which has NAT at the very least and
preferably stateful packet inspection.

2. Download XP Service Pack 2 from Microsoft and apply it.

If you do not have a router and SP2 isn't applied to XP.

Unbind all protocols except TCP/ip from the Internet facing interface,
(usually USB)

Enable the Internet connection firewall

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...nmore/icf.mspx

*before* connecting your machine to the Internet.

Apply SP2 straight away.

Make sure the SP2 fire walling is enabled.

Then apply the following

Spybot Search and Destroy
Spywareblaster
and if you do not have AV running rectify the matter at once.

AVG7 and Avast are free.

Visit one of the usual online sources and order a broadband/DSL router at
once.

In escalating order of importance would be nice.

No, point number one is the critical one. A router with NAT + SPI ensures
that the usual suspects cannot not bang directly on your unpatched PC
before rectifying the problem.

Plumbing a desktop OS directly into the Internet even over dial up is just
asking for trouble.

greg

--
Yeah - straight from the top of my dome
As I rock, rock, rock, rock, rock the microphone
Old December 12th 04, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Shaw

"David Bradley" wrote in message
No matter what you want to know about Broadband the answer comes
flying back in no time at all, and lurking around here you can learn
an awful lot. However I would like to seek opinions on something very
basic: What should a newbie do to tie down his/here security to avoid
'meltdown' within 20 minutes of connecting to Broadband?

In escalating order of importance would be nice.

DCB

1. A hardware firewall
2. A software firewall
3. Anti-virus software
4. Anti-malware software

HTH

Nick

Old December 12th 04, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Rawlings

On 2004-12-12, David Bradley wrote:

What should a newbie do to tie down his/here security to avoid
'meltdown' within 20 minutes of connecting to Broadband?

A NAT router is sufficient provided that "remote management" or other
such options are disabled, otherwise management ports can be open on
the outside. If the router has firewalling then fine, but with NAT in
general you won't have any external ports open unless you specify port
forwarding. I've also found that some firewalls on appliance adsl
modems/routers start dropping connections when you get to 60 or so,
which can be a problem depending on your setup. I turned my
firewalling off for this reason. A portscan from outside showed only
port 22 open, which I'd deliberately set up as a port forward.

If you are using Windows then you need to service pack it and get
antivirus, but you should also try to avoid using Internet Explorer,
use Mozilla or Firefox instead as they do not offer the nasty exploit
path that Internet Explorer offers. Not yet anyway!

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
Old December 12th 04, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steve church

As a braodband newbie myself and using a USB modem I'm also concerned about
security. I have Zone Alarm and AVG. I've also just started using Firefox.
If I change from my USB modem to a router what issues will I face (I'm with
Wanadoo). What info do I need to know to setup my router (I know nothing of
routers)?

Steve

Old December 12th 04, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Greg Hennessy

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:13:54 -0000, "steve church"
wrote:

As a braodband newbie myself and using a USB modem I'm also concerned about
security. I have Zone Alarm and AVG. I've also just started using Firefox.
If I change from my USB modem to a router what issues will I face (I'm with
Wanadoo). What info do I need to know to setup my router (I know nothing of
routers)?

You'll need a network card for your PC and some cat5 cabling, the forums on
www.adslguide.org.uk are worth a read for more.

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/

greg

Old December 12th 04, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

What should a newbie do to tie down his/here security to avoid
'meltdown' within 20 minutes of connecting to Broadband?
In escalating order of importance would be nice.

1st: ***! FIREWALL !***
2nd: download all Windows Updates
3rd: Antivirus software
4th: Spyware scanning utils

http://www.phoenixbbs.co.uk for some spyware help (my site) - all the
programs I link to are free

Old December 12th 04, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

If I change from my USB modem to a router what issues will I face (I'm with
Wanadoo). What info do I need to know to setup my router (I know nothing of
routers)?

A router typically uses NAT which acts like a natural firewall, so you`d
need to do nothing other than set up your login and password on the
router, and tell your computer to connect via a networked connection.

The router will allocate an IP address to machines on "your" side, and
these will not be visible directly to machines on the "internet" side.

The router will remember what information your machine(s) asked for from
the internet, and will only allow data in to "your" side if it had been
asked for, or if you specifically open ports to allow p2p or to set up a
server (web / ftp / VNC etc).

All unexpected attempts to access your "internet" IP address simply get
ignored by the router.

Old December 12th 04, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

Do be careful.

In this day and age, just an innocent mention of the word "security" can
result in a sudden disappearance off the streets of our towns and cities.

Old December 13th 04, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Monro

David Bradley wrote:

No matter what you want to know about Broadband the answer comes
flying back in no time at all, and lurking around here you can learn
an awful lot. However I would like to seek opinions on something very
basic: What should a newbie do to tie down his/here security to avoid
'meltdown' within 20 minutes of connecting to Broadband?

In escalating order of importance would be nice.

1) A router with NAT & Firewall
2) Software Firewall (the router FW will stop stuff coming in, most s/w
Firewalls stop malware already present e.g. email worms from "phoning
home"). Also make sure you've got good anti-virus software, though
you need that anyway, not just for broadband.
3) Avoid using Internet Explorer or Outlook - Alternatives such as
Firefox, Mozilla, Opera & Eudora have fewer vulnerabilities. I see
you're already using Free Agent for news. That's a good start!
4) Consider using a non-MS OS for net activity - Linux, OpenBSD,
FreeBSD, Mac OS/X are all less vulnerable. (Well, you did ask for
opinions! :-)

Most important, whatever software you decide to use, make sure you keep
it updated - at least broadband makes that easier! I check for updates
on all my installed software on a weekly basis - my OS makes this about
half a dozen mouse clicks. I could fully automate it, but I prefer to
have some control.
--
Alex Monro, Exeter, UK The good thing about being a pessimist
alexm at pobox dot com (No HTML) is that you have more chance of a