Help - USB modem disconnecting at random

Old December 13th 04, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rafal

Default Help - USB modem disconnecting at random

Hi,

I have very annoying and strange problem with USB modem disconnecting at
random / unrelated to the time of the day, usage, weather etc/.
Running XP pro, Asus A7N8X motherboard with NVIDIA chipset, AMD AthlonXP,
the modem is Sagem 800 /USB/. The ISP is Tiscali. Zone Alarm running.
Everything can work ok for hours and then the modem gets disconnected
from the computer /DSLMonitor shows "USB disconnected"/
I have so far tried the following:
- reinstalling modem
- installing new modem drivers and NVIDIA drivers
- different USB cables
- different Sagem modem
- pci USB card
- externally powered USB hub /there is a known problem with NVIDIA
chipset not being able to supply enough power for ubs devices/
- Power Management in USB Root Hub Properties is unchecked /Device
Management/

The only two things I have not try are new motherboard /but fitting pci USB
card should have eliminated the motherboard / and reinstalling Windows, but
how can it be a software problem. But then again.
Any ideas?

Rafal

Old December 13th 04, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Rafal wrote:
[...]

Have you turned of the power save function on the USB port & have you
disabled the inactivity time out on your DUN??

Old December 13th 04, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rafal

"kraftee" [email protected]& die.com wrote in message
Rafal wrote:
[...]

the power save function on the USB port is turned off,
but where would I find the inactivity time for DUN?

Old December 13th 04, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bert Kruiswijk

Could be Tiscali. I had similar problems last week with Tiscali. They just
disappeared again. Wait and see.

Bert.

Old December 13th 04, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Any ideas?

Routers are generally a whole lot less painful when things go wrong...

Old December 13th 04, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Rafal wrote:
[...]

It's somewhere in the advanced settings but more than that I dunno as I use
a router, which even though they occaisionally fall over they always
reconnect....

Old December 13th 04, 08:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rafal

Rafal wrote:
[...]

DUN is for dial up. I have broadband. "I dunno", is this a broadband
group???

Old December 13th 04, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:45:34 -0000, Rafal wrote:

[...]

Hi Rafal,

The problem could well be an issue with the line or filters. The following
two tutorials may help identify any issues

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/10

and

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

As strange as it may sound but Christmas tree lights can also cause this
sort of problem, so might be worth looking at if it's only started
recently, otherwise I recommend reporting it to your ISP so they can run
some remote diagnostics.

With Regards,

Dave,
Old December 13th 04, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Rawlings

On 2004-12-13, Rafal wrote:

DUN is for dial up. I have broadband. "I dunno", is this a broadband
group???

Broadband services normally work using PPP over either ethernet or
ATM, in which case you could quite easily have set an idle time on the
PPP connection. The person you're being rude to tried to get you to
check this.

It's also bad form to be rude to people who're trying to help you,
especially when the reason you're being rude is because of your own
ignorance of the system you're trying to get help with!!

*sigh*

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert