Best BT deal options for broadband-only users?

Old December 15th 04, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Rawlings

Default Best BT deal options for broadband-only users?

Hello peeps, given that many people on this group will be using
broadband hired via a non-BT company and hardly using their actual
telephone lines to make calls, what do you all find to be the cheapest
BT line options to put in place? I see from other postings that many
BT options aren't available if you have broadband, so what have you
found to work and to reduce costs?

Thanks for any input.

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
Old December 15th 04, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jay

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:29:44 +0000, Ian Rawlings
wrote:

Hello peeps, given that many people on this group will be using
broadband hired via a non-BT company and hardly using their actual
telephone lines to make calls, what do you all find to be the cheapest
BT line options to put in place? I see from other postings that many
BT options aren't available if you have broadband, so what have you
found to work and to reduce costs?

Thanks for any input.

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert

Im on BT Option 2. But I have all my calls routed through southern
Electric. They offer me free evening and weekend calls. I still pay my
line rental to BT (8 per month I think.. Plus the cost of my DSL
(26), but the unlimited free calls only cost me 5 a month.

Before, I was paying 35 - 50 a month for calls ontop
Old December 15th 04, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mark eldon

if you are on option 2 , you are also paying bt for free calls at evening and weekend

as your calls go through another provider , switch to option 1

Old December 15th 04, 01:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:29:44 UTC, Ian Rawlings
wrote:

Hello peeps, given that many people on this group will be using
broadband hired via a non-BT company and hardly using their actual
telephone lines to make calls, what do you all find to be the cheapest
BT line options to put in place? I see from other postings that many
BT options aren't available if you have broadband, so what have you
found to work and to reduce costs?

Option 1 is really the only choice.

--
[Davism - a condition by which the sufferer experiences an inability
euthanasia recommended. (also known as Gee-axia)]
Old December 15th 04, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
evangelical_bob

TalkTalk have an offer on at the moment (have done so the last 3
months). Free evening and weekend calls, no monthly cost for a whole
12 months. 4.99 thereafter.

Old December 15th 04, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:07:03 UTC, "evangelical_bob"
wrote:

TalkTalk have an offer on at the moment (have done so the last 3
months). Free evening and weekend calls, no monthly cost for a whole
12 months. 4.99 thereafter.

I think you're missing the point.

The OP already has cheap calls service from an indirect provider (it may
be TalkTalk, or it may not). He wants to know the cheapest option for
his BT line, rental wise.

Old December 15th 04, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Rawlings

On 2004-12-15, Bob Eager wrote:

The OP already has cheap calls service from an indirect provider (it
may be TalkTalk, or it may not). He wants to know the cheapest
option for his BT line, rental wise.

I have cheap calls via my company paid-for mobile ;-) So I don't make
calls on my BT line at all and don't need to use a land-line for
calls, so really all I want to do is receive a few calls (relatives on
tiny islands in Scotland) on my BT line and pay as little as I
possibly can for line rental.

Hope that clears anything up!

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
Old December 15th 04, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:11:10 UTC, Ian Rawlings
wrote:

I have cheap calls via my company paid-for mobile ;-) So I don't make
calls on my BT line at all and don't need to use a land-line for
calls, so really all I want to do is receive a few calls (relatives on
tiny islands in Scotland) on my BT line and pay as little as I
possibly can for line rental.

Same for me, although I make a couple of 20 minute evening calls every
day via indirect provider. The removal of the BT standard tariff was a
nuisance. So Option 1 is now the nearest you can get...

Old December 15th 04, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 15 Dec 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Bob Eager" wrote:

I think you're missing the point.

The OP already has cheap calls service from an indirect provider

Yes, but just as you have pointed out Option 1 is all that's needed,
it is also worth pointing out that by paying Southern Electric a fee
when TalkTalk waives the fee, there's another unnecessary expenditure
which is avoidable. TalkTalk offers free off-peak calls to the UK and
USA for a year, and then would charge the OP a fee. Why pay a fee to
Southern Electric in place of no fee to TalkTalk (unless discounts it
offers on gas/electricity make that more attractive) ? I would be
very happy to send the OP (or anyone else) a reference code so they
will receive a 20 pound credit for signing up during December. My
reply-to mail address (reply, rather than posting a follow-up) is
valid :-) Peter Morgan.

My other ISP is UK Free Software Network www.ukfsn.org
Old December 15th 04, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:16:23 UTC, Peter M
wrote:

On 15 Dec 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Bob Eager" wrote:

I think you're missing the point.

The OP already has cheap calls service from an indirect provider

Yes, but just as you have pointed out Option 1 is all that's needed,
it is also worth pointing out that by paying Southern Electric a fee
when TalkTalk waives the fee, there's another unnecessary expenditure
which is avoidable.

Very true. But it's not the OP who is using Southern Electric, although
Jay might be interested!