Option 4 Exchange

Old December 15th 04, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
smallholder

Default Option 4 Exchange

My local Exchange(Bratton) has just been upgraded for Broadband - as
Tesco is my current ISP I would like to upgrade with them. Their
website says broadband is unavailable in my area. I asked if this was
just a mistake - their reply was ' Tesco Broadband is on an option 3
exchange, most other broadband providers are on option 4'.

Does anyone know what this means???
Old December 15th 04, 05:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Griffin

Have a look at www.adslguide.org , you may reconsider signing with Tesco
after reading in the ISP unhappiness section.

om...

Old December 15th 04, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

My local Exchange(Bratton) has just been upgraded for Broadband - as
Tesco is my current ISP I would like to upgrade with them. Their
website says broadband is unavailable in my area. I asked if this was
just a mistake - their reply was ' Tesco Broadband is on an option 3
exchange, most other broadband providers are on option 4'.

Does anyone know what this means???

http://snipurl.com/be8k

Page 3

Seems to be saying that DataStream can be option 3 or 4
But IPStream is always option 4

Does that make sense? I am still confused.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old December 15th 04, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"smallholder" wrote in message
om
My local Exchange(Bratton) has just been upgraded for Broadband - as
Tesco is my current ISP I would like to upgrade with them. Their
website says broadband is unavailable in my area. I asked if this was
just a mistake - their reply was ' Tesco Broadband is on an option 3
exchange, most other broadband providers are on option 4'.

Does anyone know what this means???

Most ISP's use BT IPStream - this is available at all enabled ADSL
exchanges.

Tesco use NTL to provide their service.

NTL use something called BT DataStream to provide part of their ADSL service
(rather than IPStream)

DataStream has to be done per exchange and it means that NTL have not yet
asked BT to "DataStream" your exchange for them (it costs money) - hence no
Tesco ADSL.

Regards
Sunil