WLAN has gone mad

Old December 15th 04, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mikea

Default WLAN has gone mad

I have a very basic WLAN at home(it's unsecured atm)

1 netgear router
2 PCs, both connected via wifi

I've been running these PC's fine on the network for months now, but
recently had to switch one of them off for a couple days(its usually on
24/7)... when I turn it back on I find my network has virtually fallen to
peices.

My router IP is 192.168.0.1 and is acting as DHCP server. The problems I'm
having is that the network just keeps giving me access denied all over the
place. Occasionally it will work, then it won't. When I log into the router
it seems the "attached" devices panel just keeps changing, sometimes it will
list 0 attached devices, some 1, sometimes both. It usually gives them the
IP 192.168.0.2 or 192.168.0.3.

I've checked the workgroups and everything like that, PC names havent
changed, folders remained shared. I hate windows networking, spent 2 hours
trying to fix this already and got nowehere :/

Old December 15th 04, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

mikea wrote:

[...]

It sounds like the DHCP server (router) is only granting very short leases
when it dishes out IP addresses. Have a look at the DHCP setup and make sure
that the lease time is set to something long, or 'for ever'.
--
Cheers,
Tim