Zen and HH conversion

Old December 15th 04, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon Myatt

Default Zen and HH conversion

Hi all

Thinking of going with Zen when my exchange finally gets enabled in the new
year. However I currently have ISDN and they seem to be saying that I will
need to speak to BT to get that reverted to a standard line first. I thought
that all that sort of thing happened automatically when you ordered ADSL?

Has anyone gone from ISDN (i.e. HH) to ADSL with Zen?

Thanks

Jon.
Old December 16th 04, 09:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gizmo

"Jon Myatt" wrote in message
Hi all

Thinking of going with Zen when my exchange finally gets enabled in the

new
year. However I currently have ISDN and they seem to be saying that I will
need to speak to BT to get that reverted to a standard line first. I

thought
that all that sort of thing happened automatically when you ordered ADSL?

Has anyone gone from ISDN (i.e. HH) to ADSL with Zen?

FWIW

I went from HH to ADSL with Demon. Demon arranged everything professionally
and seamlessly.

Old December 16th 04, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Jon Myatt wrote:

Hi all

Thinking of going with Zen when my exchange finally gets enabled in
the new year. However I currently have ISDN and they seem to be
saying that I will need to speak to BT to get that reverted to a
standard line first. I thought that all that sort of thing happened
automatically when you ordered ADSL?

Has anyone gone from ISDN (i.e. HH) to ADSL with Zen?

Thanks

Jon.

Some ADSL ISPs offer 'Managed Conversions', others don't. I don't know about
Zen - but I personally wouldn't go with an ISP that didn't!

I suppose that the risk has diminished a bit with Extended Reach - but there
is still a risk that ADSL won't work on your line. With a managed
conversion, if ADSL fails the status quo is reinstated with no cost to you.
If you arrange the conversion yourself, and it fails, you will have to pay
50 quid for the HH to POTS conversion plus 75 quid or whatever to have HH
re-installed.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old December 16th 04, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Tiscali Tim wrote:
snip
Some ADSL ISPs offer 'Managed Conversions', others don't. I don't know about
Zen - but I personally wouldn't go with an ISP that didn't!

I suppose that the risk has diminished a bit with Extended Reach - but there
is still a risk that ADSL won't work on your line. With a managed
conversion, if ADSL fails the status quo is reinstated with no cost to you.
If you arrange the conversion yourself, and it fails, you will have to pay
50 quid for the HH to POTS conversion plus 75 quid or whatever to have HH
re-installed.

Do you happen to know if this is just if it fails on the day, or if
(for example), it's installed, and works for 6 hours out of 24, with
them not being able to fix the fault, you could get the HH put back?
Old December 16th 04, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Gizmo wrote:

"Jon Myatt" wrote in message
Hi all

Thinking of going with Zen when my exchange finally gets enabled in the

new
year. However I currently have ISDN and they seem to be saying that I will
need to speak to BT to get that reverted to a standard line first. I

thought
that all that sort of thing happened automatically when you ordered ADSL?

Has anyone gone from ISDN (i.e. HH) to ADSL with Zen?

FWIW

I went from HH to ADSL with Demon. Demon arranged everything professionally
and seamlessly.

Idly wondering when.
When I was going BB (bout a year ago), I diddn't go with demon, as
they weren't offering managed conversion.
Old December 16th 04, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Turnbull

Tiscali Tim wrote:
Jon Myatt wrote:

Thinking of going with Zen when my exchange finally gets enabled in
the new year. However I currently have ISDN and they seem to be
saying that I will need to speak to BT to get that reverted to a
standard line first. I thought that all that sort of thing happened
automatically when you ordered ADSL?

Has anyone gone from ISDN (i.e. HH) to ADSL with Zen?

I suppose that the risk has diminished a bit with Extended Reach - but there
is still a risk that ADSL won't work on your line. With a managed
conversion, if ADSL fails the status quo is reinstated with no cost to you.
If you arrange the conversion yourself, and it fails, you will have to pay
50 quid for the HH to POTS conversion plus 75 quid or whatever to have HH
re-installed.

That's about the size of it. I went through the same routine a couple of
months ago; Zen was on my short list of ISPs until they confirmed directly
to me that they don't do managed conversions. Have a look through some
recent threads here for what it actually costs if it succeeds -- and you
might be able to find out what the test results were when your ISDN was
installed, which might give a clue as to the likelyhood of successful
conversion to ADSL ('cos there will be a signal/noise figure and an
attenuation figure).

Alternatively, take a 1-month contract with an ISP who does do managed
conversions and switch to Zen afterwards :-)

--
Pete Peter Turnbull
Network Manager
Old December 16th 04, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Ian Stirling wrote:

Do you happen to know if this is just if it fails on the day, or if
(for example), it's installed, and works for 6 hours out of 24, with
them not being able to fix the fault, you could get the HH put back?

As far as I know, it has to fail the line test. I don't know what happens if
it passes and then subsequently fails in operation.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old December 16th 04, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

Jon Myatt wrote:
Hi all

Thinking of going with Zen when my exchange finally gets enabled in the new
year. However I currently have ISDN and they seem to be saying that I will
need to speak to BT to get that reverted to a standard line first. I
thought
that all that sort of thing happened automatically when you ordered ADSL?

Has anyone gone from ISDN (i.e. HH) to ADSL with Zen?

Thanks

Jon.

I have just done this with PlusNet. Apart for a mistake on my part in
ordering the wrong connection, it was a painless process. PlusNet kept
me informed of the progress, and BT did their bit brilliantly.
Personally I would not bother with an ISP that did not do managed
connection.

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)
Old December 17th 04, 11:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Holland

Pete Turnbull wrote:
Alternatively, take a 1-month contract with an ISP who does do managed
conversions and switch to Zen afterwards :-)

That's what I did (using Nildram), but, er, Nildram's service has been
so good that I haven't quite got round to switching yet...

Dave
Old December 17th 04, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:11:33 +0000, Jon Myatt
wrote:

Has anyone gone from ISDN (i.e. HH) to ADSL with Zen?

I went from HH to ADSL with Nildram two years ago. It was a disaster
(rant posted to a nildram group ages ago). For several days I didn't
even have a voice line.

Most of this was due to doing it around Xmas. Some of it was due to
clear lack of communication between Nildram & BT, particularly over
the HH aspect and the need to actually do physical wiring.

BTW - I'm thinking of churning from Nildram to Zen - anyone care to
comment ?