Static IP Setup

Old December 16th 04, 04:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
evangelical_bob

Default Static IP Setup

I am currently with Eclipse Internet and am thinking about changing
from a dynamic IP to a static IP. I spoke to Customer Services and
they said I will not have to change my router setup as all the changes
are done at their (WAN) end.
I want to get a static IP so I can setup a Half-Life server, use
webcamXP etc.
Eclipse do not charge for the provision of a static IP whereas most
other ISP's seem to.
Being told not to change my router settings surprises me. I have an
ASUS WL-500g and under the "WAN Connection Type" heading there is a
Static IP option (currently set to Automatic IP). Fields under this
heading a IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway.

Is this how all static IP's work? Will I be able to run a server using
this setup?

Cheers

Old December 16th 04, 05:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Sheldon

"evangelical_bob" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am currently with Eclipse Internet and am thinking about changing
from a dynamic IP to a static IP. I spoke to Customer Services and
they said I will not have to change my router setup as all the changes
are done at their (WAN) end.
I want to get a static IP so I can setup a Half-Life server, use
webcamXP etc.
Eclipse do not charge for the provision of a static IP whereas most
other ISP's seem to.
Being told not to change my router settings surprises me. I have an
ASUS WL-500g and under the "WAN Connection Type" heading there is a
Static IP option (currently set to Automatic IP). Fields under this
heading a IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway.

Is this how all static IP's work? Will I be able to run a server using
this setup?

Cheers

At the moment Eclipse assign you a dynamic IP address i.e. it might change
occassionally. When you set the static ip option they assign you a permanent
ip address and this information is handed to your router exactly as your
dynamic ip address is being done already. Nothing changes at your end, the
only thing you might notice if you know how to check your ip address is that
it won't change again.
--
Brian aka Kilroy

Old December 17th 04, 02:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
evangelical_bob

Wise words RaStaMan, your understanding of the ethereal concept is
surreal. Go easy on the weed man.