DABS PCI Conexant ADSL modem not showing up

Old December 16th 04, 08:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Default DABS PCI Conexant ADSL modem not showing up

I've just replaced my hard drive, in the processing upgrading from Win
98 to XP.

Under the old system, I've been happily using a DABS PCI Conexant ADSL
modem. Prior to the switchover, I'd taken the precaution of
downloading the latest XP driver (from themad-house.co.uk) ready to
install on the new system.

However XP hasn't demanded drivers for the modem, and I'm not familiar
enough with the system to force it. I've tried removing the card and
reinstalling, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Could anyone advise as to what I should do next?

Many thanks.
Old December 16th 04, 08:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Could anyone advise as to what I should do next?

Does it show up in the hardware profile ?

Right click on "My Computer" and select properties, click the hardware
tab, then device manager - it`ll probably be under a networking or modem
section if at all

Old December 16th 04, 10:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Chris wrote:

I've just replaced my hard drive, in the processing upgrading from Win
98 to XP.

Under the old system, I've been happily using a DABS PCI Conexant ADSL
modem. Prior to the switchover, I'd taken the precaution of
downloading the latest XP driver (from themad-house.co.uk) ready to
install on the new system.

However XP hasn't demanded drivers for the modem, and I'm not familiar
enough with the system to force it. I've tried removing the card and
reinstalling, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Could anyone advise as to what I should do next?

Many thanks.

XP has probably recognised it and assigned a Microsoft-provided driver to
it.

Can you see the modem in Device Manager? [Start/Settings/Control
Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager]

If so, it may work as it is. If it's there but doesn't work, go for Update
Driver, and point it at the one you've downloaded.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old December 16th 04, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anton G˙sen

Chris wrote:
I've just replaced my hard drive, in the processing upgrading from Win
98 to XP.

Under the old system, I've been happily using a DABS PCI Conexant ADSL
modem. Prior to the switchover, I'd taken the precaution of
downloading the latest XP driver (from themad-house.co.uk) ready to
install on the new system.

However XP hasn't demanded drivers for the modem, and I'm not familiar
enough with the system to force it. I've tried removing the card and
reinstalling, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Could anyone advise as to what I should do next?

Many thanks.

The 98 drivers are the same was the XP drivers.

Like people say, have a look in Device Mangler (sic) and if you can't
see it, remove it and put it in a different PCI slot, this should make
Windows recgnise it and ask for drivers.
I don't see why you can't see it, sure it's not calling itself "Unknown
Device" or something (I have one of these in my Device Mangler and I
can't figure out what it might be!!).

BTW, The latest Windows drivers I could find for this card when I was
using it under Windows are he

http://61.31.72.100/amigoweb/downloa...k98Inf/Lan.zip

Hope this helps,

Anton

Old December 16th 04, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:34:57 +0000, Anton G˙sen
strung together this:

I don't see why you can't see it,

The OP never actually said they can't see it, just that it never asked
for drivers. As I read it XP has installed the modem automatically and
all is working.
I think the question should be how do I set up my modem in XP.
--

SJW
Old December 16th 04, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:00:38 +0000, Lurch
wrote:

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:34:57 +0000, Anton G˙sen
strung together this:

I don't see why you can't see it,

The OP never actually said they can't see it, just that it never asked
for drivers. As I read it XP has installed the modem automatically and
all is working.

The way I read it is that it was installed but not functioning, thus
he had to uninstall and reinstall it. If he couldn't see it he
couldn't uninstall it, and if XP had installed it and was working,
this thread wouldn't exist
Old December 16th 04, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anton G˙sen

wrote:

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:34:57 +0000, Anton G˙sen
strung together this:

I don't see why you can't see it,

The OP never actually said they can't see it, just that it never asked
for drivers. As I read it XP has installed the modem automatically and
all is working.

The way I read it is that it was installed but not functioning, thus
he had to uninstall and reinstall it. If he couldn't see it he
couldn't uninstall it, and if XP had installed it and was working,
this thread wouldn't exist

Precisely, and the way to configure these modems in XP is the same as in
98, and I should know, I've got one.
Old December 16th 04, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Richard Sobey wrote:

The way I read it is that it was installed but not functioning, thus
he had to uninstall and reinstall it. If he couldn't see it he
couldn't uninstall it, and if XP had installed it and was working,
this thread wouldn't exist

An alternative is that it *was* installed, but he didn't realise it because
XP had not asked him for a driver. I took the reference to uninstalling to
mean that he physically removed and replaced the card, rather than doing
anything in Device Manager.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old December 16th 04, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anton G˙sen

Tiscali Tim wrote:
Richard Sobey wrote:

The way I read it is that it was installed but not functioning, thus
he had to uninstall and reinstall it. If he couldn't see it he
couldn't uninstall it, and if XP had installed it and was working,
this thread wouldn't exist

An alternative is that it *was* installed, but he didn't realise it because
XP had not asked him for a driver. I took the reference to uninstalling to
mean that he physically removed and replaced the card, rather than doing
anything in Device Manager.

Ditto. However, I don't see how XP could have installed drivers for it,
because there are no drivers for those modems on the XP CD, it prompts
the user to search for drivers in the usual manner.

Anton
Old December 16th 04, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Itschris

In article , Anton
G˙sen writes
Tiscali Tim wrote:
Richard Sobey wrote:

The way I read it is that it was installed but not functioning, thus
he had to uninstall and reinstall it. If he couldn't see it he
couldn't uninstall it, and if XP had installed it and was working,
this thread wouldn't exist

An alternative is that it *was* installed, but he didn't realise it
because
XP had not asked him for a driver. I took the reference to uninstalling to
mean that he physically removed and replaced the card, rather than doing
anything in Device Manager.

Ditto. However, I don't see how XP could have installed drivers for it,
because there are no drivers for those modems on the XP CD, it prompts
the user to search for drivers in the usual manner.

Anton

Hi

I'm the original poster with the problem with the DABS PCI modem.

I've now found the device in the hardware manager (it strangely is
described as a 'PCI ATM controller').

I've installed my new driver (replacing the driver already in place),
but don't have a clue where to go next. When I went through this a
couple of years ago, a program called AccessRunner appeared, and with a
few tweaks the whole thing worked. However this time, nothing.

So I suppose I'm not asking the right question - what I really want to
know is how reconnect to Pipex under XP. Where is Access Runner, or is
there a different way of doing this under the new operating system.

Many thanks for you musings.

Chris
--
ItsChris