connecting with dial up on asdl line

Old December 16th 04, 09:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Default connecting with dial up on asdl line

Hi there,
I have read a few posts above this and searched the net and I can't
get my old dial up connection to work after getting bt broadband.
I have tried plugging in 56k intel modem into microfilter , where
phone normally goes, and aslo direct into line. I was getting error no
dial tone for a while but then when I put X1 into a box somewhere it
seems to be dialing up but now I get (error 678: The remote computer
did not respond) and I tried a few different ISP's but they're all
the same so it must be my end.
Anyone got any advice on what I should try next, I'm not sure if its
something to do with the broadband connection or not.
AHA .
Old December 16th 04, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Monro

Paul wrote:

Hi there,
I have read a few posts above this and searched the net and I can't
get my old dial up connection to work after getting bt broadband.
I have tried plugging in 56k intel modem into microfilter , where
phone normally goes, and aslo direct into line. I was getting error no
dial tone for a while but then when I put X1 into a box somewhere it
seems to be dialing up but now I get (error 678: The remote computer
did not respond) and I tried a few different ISP's but they're all
the same so it must be my end.
Anyone got any advice on what I should try next, I'm not sure if its
something to do with the broadband connection or not.

A normal modem should work when plugged into the phone side of a
microfilter. I suggest you try testing the modem on another phone line.
If the modem works then maybe you need a better microfilter.
--
Alex Monro, Exeter, UK The good thing about being a pessimist
alexm at pobox dot com (No HTML) is that you have more chance of a
Old December 16th 04, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Paul wrote:

Hi there,
I have read a few posts above this and searched the net and I can't
get my old dial up connection to work after getting bt broadband.
I have tried plugging in 56k intel modem into microfilter , where
phone normally goes, and aslo direct into line. I was getting error no
dial tone for a while but then when I put X1 into a box somewhere it
seems to be dialing up but now I get (error 678: The remote computer
did not respond) and I tried a few different ISP's but they're all
the same so it must be my end.
Anyone got any advice on what I should try next, I'm not sure if its
something to do with the broadband connection or not.
AHA .

There's no technical reason why a dial-up modem shouldn't work on an
ADSL-enabled line. Mine is ok!

Can you be more explicit about "I put X1 into a box somewhere"?

If your modem has difficulty detecting dial tone, uncheck the box in the
modem setup which says "Wait for dial tone before dialling" or somesuch. Do
you use BT Answer 1571? Many modems can't detect the 'broken' dial tone when
a message has been received.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old December 16th 04, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Tiscali Tim wrote:

Can you be more explicit about "I put X1 into a box somewhere"?

If your modem has difficulty detecting dial tone, uncheck the box in the
modem setup which says "Wait for dial tone before dialling" or somesuch.

X1 is a Hayes smartmodem command for blind dial, presumably he means he
put in int the "extra initialisation commands field" on windows when you
untick the "wait for dial tone" checkbox it does exactly what the
original poster tried, and sends "AT X1" as part of the initialisation
string ...