A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Faffing about



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 16th 04, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Quinton
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 25
Default Faffing about

Tomorrow's the day that we do (or do not) get Broadband.

It's Demon Business 1000 and apparently we're at the stage where a BT
engineer does something at the exchange to test, and then if OK to
enable ADSL. If not OK, then they contact Demono who will e-mail us.

In order for the test to be passed, does it make any difference what I
have plugged in to the socket?

Am I better off with:
* nothing
* a phone
* the modem - switched on or off?

Thanks
Paranoid David
--
Interesting Xmas gifts: http://www.awin1.com/tclick.php?id=405&mid=182 . http://BizOrg.co.uk/shopping/
Locate your Mobile phone: http://www.bizorg.co.uk/news.html
  #2  
Old December 16th 04, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SimonW
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Faffing about


"David Quinton" wrote in
message ...
Tomorrow's the day that we do (or do not) get Broadband.

It's Demon Business 1000 and apparently we're at the stage where a BT
engineer does something at the exchange to test, and then if OK to
enable ADSL. If not OK, then they contact Demono who will e-mail us.

In order for the test to be passed, does it make any difference what I
have plugged in to the socket?

Am I better off with:
* nothing
* a phone
* the modem - switched on or off?

Thanks
Paranoid David
--
Interesting Xmas gifts: http://www.awin1.com/tclick.php?id=405&mid=182 .
http://BizOrg.co.uk/shopping/
Locate your Mobile phone: http://www.bizorg.co.uk/news.html


Makes no difference, as they are not testing what is plugged into you phone
socket. They are testing your line.


  #3  
Old December 16th 04, 04:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Quinton
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 25
Default Faffing about

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:21:54 -0000, "SimonW"
wrote:

Makes no difference, as they are not testing what is plugged into you phone
socket. They are testing your line.


i.e just the Loop?
--
Interesting Xmas gifts: http://www.awin1.com/tclick.php?id=405&mid=182 . http://BizOrg.co.uk/shopping/
Locate your Mobile phone: http://www.bizorg.co.uk/news.html
  #4  
Old December 16th 04, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,069
Default Faffing about

David Quinton wrote:
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:21:54 -0000, "SimonW"
wrote:

Makes no difference, as they are not testing what is plugged into
you phone socket. They are testing your line.


i.e just the Loop?


No the copper pair, for earth, batteries, balance & other such things...


  #5  
Old December 16th 04, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anton G˙sen
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 99
Default Faffing about

kraftee wrote:
David Quinton wrote:

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:21:54 -0000, "SimonW"
wrote:


Makes no difference, as they are not testing what is plugged into
you phone socket. They are testing your line.


i.e just the Loop?



No the copper pair, for earth, batteries, balance & other such things...


Batteries?! Balance? WTF? Are you having us on?
  #6  
Old December 17th 04, 12:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,069
Default Faffing about

Anton G˙sen wrote:
kraftee wrote:
David Quinton wrote:

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:21:54 -0000, "SimonW"
wrote:


Makes no difference, as they are not testing what is plugged into
you phone socket. They are testing your line.

i.e just the Loop?



No the copper pair, for earth, batteries, balance & other such
things...


Batteries?! Balance? WTF? Are you having us on?


Nope, copper pair testing from the exchange test for earth contacts, battery
contacts, low resistance between the pair of wires & if you're lucky they
get a rough distance measurement as well. If they delve a little deeper
they will also check for the balance of the pair (how the wires compare to
each other), this will normally give you a more accurate distance
measurement as well, but not always...

If they use a remote unit at the end of the line they can also measure
line losses as well, but the measurement normally only corresponds to the
downstream losses not upstream which can & normally vary considerably (it
may be vicy verca but it's late & I've had a hard day, but I hope you can
get my meaning)...


  #7  
Old December 17th 04, 12:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anton G˙sen
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 99
Default Faffing about

kraftee wrote:
Anton G˙sen wrote:

kraftee wrote:

David Quinton wrote:


On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:21:54 -0000, "SimonW"
wrote:



Makes no difference, as they are not testing what is plugged into
you phone socket. They are testing your line.

i.e just the Loop?


No the copper pair, for earth, batteries, balance & other such
things...


Batteries?! Balance? WTF? Are you having us on?



Nope, copper pair testing from the exchange test for earth contacts, battery
contacts, low resistance between the pair of wires & if you're lucky they
get a rough distance measurement as well. If they delve a little deeper
they will also check for the balance of the pair (how the wires compare to
each other), this will normally give you a more accurate distance
measurement as well, but not always...


Still doesn't mean much to me, but **** it, I've got my ADSL so I'm not
complaining

If they use a remote unit at the end of the line they can also measure
line losses as well, but the measurement normally only corresponds to the
downstream losses not upstream which can & normally vary considerably (it
may be vicy verca but it's late & I've had a hard day, but I hope you can
get my meaning)...


Just about(!)
  #8  
Old December 17th 04, 07:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,069
Default Faffing about

Anton G˙sen wrote:
kraftee wrote:
Anton G˙sen wrote:

kraftee wrote:

David Quinton wrote:


On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:21:54 -0000, "SimonW"
wrote:



Makes no difference, as they are not testing what is plugged into
you phone socket. They are testing your line.

i.e just the Loop?


No the copper pair, for earth, batteries, balance & other such
things...

Batteries?! Balance? WTF? Are you having us on?



Nope, copper pair testing from the exchange test for earth contacts,
battery contacts, low resistance between the pair of wires & if
you're lucky they get a rough distance measurement as well. If they
delve a little deeper they will also check for the balance of the
pair (how the wires compare to each other), this will normally give
you a more accurate distance measurement as well, but not always...


Still doesn't mean much to me, but **** it, I've got my ADSL so I'm
not complaining


It would become of great interest if you ever have any problems though.....


  #9  
Old December 17th 04, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Quinton
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 25
Default Faffing about

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:59:43 +0000, David Quinton
wrote:

Tomorrow's the day that we do (or do not) get Broadband.


It worked!

I haven't yet managed to get my Adslnation X-Modem to work with the
LAN port of the Draytek2200WPlus, but it works OK in Gateway mode just
plugged in to one of the LAN ports.

Thankyou all.
--
Interesting Xmas gifts: http://www.awin1.com/tclick.php?id=405&mid=182 . http://BizOrg.co.uk/shopping/
Locate your Mobile phone: http://www.bizorg.co.uk/news.html
  #10  
Old December 17th 04, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 154
Default Faffing about



wrote:


Makes no difference, as they are not testing what is plugged into
you phone socket. They are testing your line.

i.e just the Loop?


No the copper pair, for earth, batteries, balance & other such
things...


Batteries?! Balance? WTF? Are you having us on?


Nope, copper pair testing from the exchange test for earth contacts,

battery
contacts, low resistance between the pair of wires & if you're lucky they
get a rough distance measurement as well. If they delve a little deeper
they will also check for the balance of the pair (how the wires compare to
each other), this will normally give you a more accurate distance
measurement as well, but not always...

If they use a remote unit at the end of the line they can also measure
line losses as well, but the measurement normally only corresponds to the
downstream losses not upstream which can & normally vary considerably (it
may be vicy verca but it's late & I've had a hard day, but I hope you can
get my meaning)...



Hi Kraftee,

Unlike the OP I do have a little knowledge about telecoms,
(I know, a dangerous thing).
I would also be paranoid about what was plugged in at my end especially if
my line was marginal.
What if a faulty Skybox or TAM gave rise to an 'earth A' or earth B on a
line that otherwise would test OK, At the very least it could delay
provision, couldn't it?

As the subject if battery feeds has come up, here is another question for
you, something I saw the other day that made me curious.
Is it true that the exchange pair that feeds a DACS has 100V across them? If
yes how is it derived? DC-DC inverter maybe?


--
Graham.


%Profound_observation%



 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright ©2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.