Setting the dial tone after ADSL

Old December 16th 04, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

Default Setting the dial tone after ADSL

This is pure curiosity.
I have just had ADSL installed (conversion from ISDN line). After
setting everything up at my end the engineer went back to the exchange
to install the dial tone, which he said would be between 10 and 40
minutes. After 40 minutes he phoned on my mobile to say he was having
problems with it. About 20 minutes later I got a call to check and say
it was ok.

I would like to know why he would have had difficulty. Obviously he was
expecting problems by giving that time frame.

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)
Old December 16th 04, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

David G [email protected] wrote:

This is pure curiosity.
I have just had ADSL installed (conversion from ISDN line). After
setting everything up at my end the engineer went back to the exchange
to install the dial tone, which he said would be between 10 and 40
minutes. After 40 minutes he phoned on my mobile to say he was having
problems with it. About 20 minutes later I got a call to check and say
it was ok.

I would like to know why he would have had difficulty. Obviously he
was expecting problems by giving that time frame.

My understanding is that he has to submit a job request to an automated
system which gets round to restoring your dial tone when it's good and
ready - depending on how many jobs there are in the queue. He may have had a
problem getting a response from this automated system. I don't think he has
to do anything *physical*.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old December 16th 04, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Tiscali Tim wrote:
[...]

The only thing the engineers do is monitor the progression of the orders
through the system & make sure it goes thru ok, if it doesn't then they have
to contact the appropiate department, normally the OMC, to get things done.

The one thing which does concern/worry me is that this monitoring is
supposedly/officially supposed to be done from site (using the GSM link
built into the engineers laptop) & this is the second (if not third) account
in the last 7 days where the engineers have apparently cut & run before the
job is completed..

Old December 16th 04, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

kraftee wrote:

The one thing which does concern/worry me is that this monitoring is
supposedly/officially supposed to be done from site (using the GSM link
built into the engineers laptop) & this is the second (if not third) account
in the last 7 days where the engineers have apparently cut & run before the
job is completed..

Ah but the laptop isn't equipped with a kettle is it? ;-)

Old December 16th 04, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Andy Burns wrote:
kraftee wrote:

The one thing which does concern/worry me is that this monitoring is
supposedly/officially supposed to be done from site (using the GSM
link built into the engineers laptop) & this is the second (if not
third) account in the last 7 days where the engineers have
apparently cut & run before the job is completed..

Ah but the laptop isn't equipped with a kettle is it? ;-)

But most customers have & they also supply biscuits or cake & even more
importantly most customers premises are warmer & have proper toilets. Yes
believe it, or believe it not, most if not all the local exchanges have
extremely limited heating (if any) & they've started taking out some of the
toilet facilities.

So personally on the balance of things I'd rather sit in the warm with a cup
of tea & some biscuits, with a working toilet (if needed) than sit in a
draughty cold, normally damp exchange with a possibly working kettle (if
it's not broken or been nicked).....

Old December 16th 04, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

kraftee wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

kraftee wrote:

But most customers have & they also supply biscuits or cake & even more
importantly most customers premises are warmer & have proper toilets. Yes
believe it, or believe it not, most if not all the local exchanges have
extremely limited heating (if any) & they've started taking out some of the
toilet facilities.

So personally on the balance of things I'd rather sit in the warm with a cup
of tea & some biscuits, with a working toilet (if needed) than sit in a
draughty cold, normally damp exchange with a possibly working kettle (if
it's not broken or been nicked).....

Thanks for the replies. I was expecting it to be more complex than
waiting for a bit of software to perform.

Incidentally he was given a cup of coffee, but it seems it had to be
done from the exchange. He did say that he might have to come back if it
did not work.

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)
Old December 16th 04, 11:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

David G wrote:
kraftee wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

kraftee wrote:

But most customers have & they also supply biscuits or cake & even
more importantly most customers premises are warmer & have proper
toilets. Yes believe it, or believe it not, most if not all the
local exchanges have extremely limited heating (if any) & they've
started taking out some of the toilet facilities.

So personally on the balance of things I'd rather sit in the warm
with a cup of tea & some biscuits, with a working toilet (if needed)
than sit in a draughty cold, normally damp exchange with a possibly
working kettle (if it's not broken or been nicked).....

Thanks for the replies. I was expecting it to be more complex than
waiting for a bit of software to perform.

Incidentally he was given a cup of coffee, but it seems it had to be
done from the exchange. He did say that he might have to come back if
it did not work.

I smell something & it's not roses.....

It can be done anywhere, as long as the GSM link on the laptop is active &
has a signal...

Old December 17th 04, 07:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

This would explain why my policy of offering tea and biscuits as soon as the
engineer arrives always results in exceptional service!

Peter Crosland

Old December 17th 04, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default OT Tea (was Setting the dial tone after ADSL)

Same builder reported that some people didn't offer any form of
refreshment, even on a month long job. I'm sure he did a good job there
as well, but I know where I'd rather work.

It always seems to me that if you have people working for you then treating
them like fellow human beings and not like feudal serfs helps get the job
done in a better way. I am astonished at the tales workmen have told me
about the maltreatment by householders. The other thing is making life
easier by making sure they can get the work done in a more efficient manner.

Old December 17th 04, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Krishna Murphy

Peter Crosland wrote:
This would explain why my policy of offering tea and biscuits as soon as the
engineer arrives always results in exceptional service!

Peter Crosland

Agreed, a little hospitality goes a *long* way.

When I originally had ADSL installed in 2001 (Engineer install) I made
sure to keep the BT guy happy by providing a cuppa & biscuits on
arrival, and it paid off.

After trying the 'whoosh' test he told me I had failed, however he was
happy overall with the install as it was working and he expressed his
scorn for the test, saying the figures were fine but the test sucked.

Rather than go by the book and refuse / remove my ADSL due to the test
failure he carried on as if it wasn't a problem and I've had
trouble-free ADSL running since then, recently upgraded to a 1Mb service.

This was at a time that failing the whoosh test was pretty much the end
of your BB hopes, with many reporting inability to get ADSL due to a
failure at this point. Which has always left me curious as to what the
whoosh test actually was, and have entertained the possibility that it
was nothing but a red herring that allowed BT an 'out' for reasons of
convenience rather than technical.

KM.