Sharing ADSL Connection on two networks

Old December 17th 04, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

Default Sharing ADSL Connection on two networks

I want to set up two independent networks which share a common ADSL
connection.

Is this possible and what equipment would I need?
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)
Old December 17th 04, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Les Desser wrote:
I want to set up two independent networks which share a common ADSL
connection.

If they're independent how can they share a common ADSL
connection? There's something here you're not telling us.

Is this possible and what equipment would I need?

How about a router and/or maybe a three-NIC firewall?
Chris
Old December 17th 04, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

In article Les Desser says...
I want to set up two independent networks which share a common ADSL
connection.

Is this possible and what equipment would I need?

Nowt..apart from Brain 1.01.

Two ways to go about it:

1) Workgroups/Domains and permissions.

2) Different Subnets.
http://www.learntosubnet.com/

--
Conor

A man alone in the forest is talking to himself and no women around to
hear him. Is he still wrong?
Old December 17th 04, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

In article says...
Les Desser wrote:
I want to set up two independent networks which share a common ADSL
connection.

If they're independent how can they share a common ADSL
connection?

Quite easily. They can be independent logically .

How about a router and/or maybe a three-NIC firewall?
Chris

Oh dear...

Old December 17th 04, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sectio...le55-page1.php
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old December 17th 04, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Jones

wrote:

I want to set up two independent networks which share a common ADSL
connection.

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sectio...le55-page1.php

I don't know if you've bought a router yet, but the Draytek Vigor 2600
range routers allow you to setup VLANS (virtual LANS) so that:
"For example, two companies could share the same broadband feed, without
having access to each other's networks."

I took that quote from draytek's site

More info here
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2600plus.html
and here
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/vigor_vlan.html

Cheers
Ian
Old December 18th 04, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin

Les Desser wrote:
I want to set up two independent networks which share a common ADSL
connection.

Is this possible and what equipment would I need?

I've just done this for one of my clients.

I put a router in to connect to the internet and 3 port f/w to route the
two sub-nets. Fixed block of 8 IPs
Old December 18th 04, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , Phil Thompson
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:59:01 writes

wrote:

I want to set up two independent networks which share a common ADSL
connection.

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sectio...le55-page1.php

That looks like just what we might want.

I still need to look at the suggestion of Ian Jones and a Draytek Vigor
2600 which may do the same with a single router.

Thanks - most useful.
Old December 18th 04, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , Conor
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:45:58 writes

In article Les Desser says...
I want to set up two independent networks which share a common ADSL
connection.

Is this possible and what equipment would I need?

Nowt..apart from Brain 1.01.

Two ways to go about it:

1) Workgroups/Domains and permissions.

Had thought of that but I think they may want a more physical separation

2) Different Subnets.
http://www.learntosubnet.com/

Is this what you are suggesting:-

Router LAN IP 192.168.0.1 mask 255.255.0.0

LAN 1 IP 192.168.1.x mask 255.255.255.0

LAN 2 IP 192.168.2.x mask 255.255.255.0

So machines on LAN1 will not see LAN 2 and vice versa but the router
will see both?

If that works then yes it could be a solution. The only problem I see
is that it does not stop anyone on LAN2 changing their IP address to
that of LAN1 - so security as per your item 1 would still be necessary.

The solution pointed to by Phil Thompson where two additional routers
are used provides physical segregation.

I must go away and find out precisely the requirements.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old December 18th 04, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , Martin
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:00:04 writes

Les Desser wrote:
I want to set up two independent networks which share a common ADSL
connection.
Is this possible and what equipment would I need?

I've just done this for one of my clients.

I put a router in to connect to the internet and 3 port f/w to route
the two sub-nets. Fixed block of 8 IPs

Not sure exactly what you mean - and we only have a single fixed IP.