BT rollout VoIP

Old December 17th 04, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Informer

Default BT rollout VoIP

I sat in on a BT presentation about the future of telecoms in the UK.
Within the next 10 years BT will have pulled the plug on PSTN. All phone
users will be connected via VoIP. Every green street cabinet in the UK will
be fed by fibre with copper pairs continuing to be fed to premises.
Standard Broadband will jump from 512k to 3 Meg.

Three exchanges will go live in 2005, Bradwell Abbey in Milton Keynes,
Martisham Heath and one other that I have already forgotten. By 2008 around
half the UK will be on VoIP. Interesting times ahead.

Old December 17th 04, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
sean

informer wrote:
I sat in on a BT presentation about the future of telecoms in the UK.
Within the next 10 years BT will have pulled the plug on PSTN. All phone
users will be connected via VoIP. Every green street cabinet in the UK will
be fed by fibre with copper pairs continuing to be fed to premises.
Standard Broadband will jump from 512k to 3 Meg.

Three exchanges will go live in 2005, Bradwell Abbey in Milton Keynes,
Martisham Heath and one other that I have already forgotten. By 2008 around
half the UK will be on VoIP. Interesting times ahead.

I already know this. Been mentioned in the past
Old December 17th 04, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Alan J. Flavell

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004, informer wrote:

I sat in on a BT presentation about the future of telecoms in the UK.
Within the next 10 years BT will have pulled the plug on PSTN.

Thanks for the heads-up, but if it takes them 10 years, then it's hard
to believe they'll still be in business by then.

Around 10 years ago, we were slowly replacing thinnet (10-base-2)
daisychained ethernets with Cat.3-ish cabling and 10Mbit TP hubs, and
those things cost a small fortune. I forget what wide-area access
speed we had, but it was always clogged. Now you can buy gigabit
interfaces for pocket-money, and our wide area access is due (AIUI) to
be upgraded from 2.5G to 10G. Even a modest attempt to extrapolate
another 10 years leaves one wondering how it'll turn out.

If only we'll have something worthwhile to say to each other, over
that monster information highway ;-)

seasons greetings, all
Old December 17th 04, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
kraftee

sean wrote:
informer wrote:
I sat in on a BT presentation about the future of telecoms in the UK.
Within the next 10 years BT will have pulled the plug on PSTN. All
phone users will be connected via VoIP. Every green street cabinet
in the UK will be fed by fibre with copper pairs continuing to be
fed to premises. Standard Broadband will jump from 512k to 3 Meg.

Three exchanges will go live in 2005, Bradwell Abbey in Milton
Keynes, Martisham Heath and one other that I have already forgotten.
By 2008 around half the UK will be on VoIP. Interesting times ahead.

I already know this. Been mentioned in the past

& oft repeated many many times & yet board members still stand up & state
emphatically that the future is in copper (I can't help but wonder about all
the aluminium & lead cables which are also out there, why are they always
forgotten???)

Old December 17th 04, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Peter

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 22:12:26 -0000, "kraftee" [email protected]&
die.com wrote:

sean wrote:
informer wrote:
I sat in on a BT presentation about the future of telecoms in the UK.
Within the next 10 years BT will have pulled the plug on PSTN. All
phone users will be connected via VoIP. Every green street cabinet
in the UK will be fed by fibre with copper pairs continuing to be
fed to premises. Standard Broadband will jump from 512k to 3 Meg.

Three exchanges will go live in 2005, Bradwell Abbey in Milton
Keynes, Martisham Heath and one other that I have already forgotten.
By 2008 around half the UK will be on VoIP. Interesting times ahead.

I already know this. Been mentioned in the past

& oft repeated many many times & yet board members still stand up & state
emphatically that the future is in copper (I can't help but wonder about all
the aluminium & lead cables which are also out there, why are they always
forgotten???)

Aren't you mixing up lead and aliminium cables? Aluminium is used as
a conductor but lead is used only as sheathing (on cables that usually
have copper conductors)

--
Cheers

Peter

Remove the INVALID to reply
Old December 17th 04, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Zomaar

"Peter" wrote in message

Aren't you mixing up lead and aliminium cables? Aluminium is used as
a conductor but lead is used only as sheathing (on cables that usually
have copper conductors)

--

Point taken, Peter...but when BT engineers talk shop about lead/aluminium
they know they are referring to the sheath/conductor respectively ..lead

Ali

Old December 17th 04, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Ivor Jones

Alan J. Flavell wrote:
[...]

And I wonder if they'll still try and charge ridiculous line rental and
levy minimum call charges..? When it's possible to send megabytes of data
over broadband connections, charging for a piddling voice stream is
stupid.

Ivor

Old December 18th 04, 03:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Stuart Millington

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:31:58 +0000 (UTC), "informer"
wrote:

I sat in on a BT presentation about the future of telecoms in the UK.
Within the next 10 years BT will have pulled the plug on PSTN. All phone
users will be connected via VoIP. Every green street cabinet in the UK will
be fed by fibre with copper pairs continuing to be fed to premises.

a) Fibre + copper to premises should give far more than a few Mbps b/w
- if done correctly.

b) 99% of the "green cabinets" 'round here are Tele****e, which are
already at 4Mbps for the price (or lower) that you can get 2Mbps DSL
at And I will not pay Tele****e any more money after they illegally
breached their contract when I moved house by one street.

c) Gigabit ethernet fibre to the doorstep would be nice ;-)

Standard Broadband will jump from 512k to 3 Meg.

Until upload speeds get above 256Kbps, 3Mbps is not that much more
worthwhile - unless you are a serial downloader - which I am ;-)

Three exchanges will go live in 2005, Bradwell Abbey in Milton Keynes,
Martisham Heath

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ - I wish I worked for BT ;-)

- Stuart Millington ALL HTML e-mail rejected -
- mailtohttp://w3.z-add.co.uk/ -
begin OE is broken read MS knowledgebase Q265230
Old December 18th 04, 07:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Mike Pellatt

["Followup-To:" header set to uk.telecom.]
wrote:

I sat in on a BT presentation about the future of telecoms in the UK.
Within the next 10 years BT will have pulled the plug on PSTN. All phone
users will be connected via VoIP. Every green street cabinet in the UK will
be fed by fibre with copper pairs continuing to be fed to premises.
Standard Broadband will jump from 512k to 3 Meg.

Pathetic. If "Standard Broadband" in the UK is only 3Mbps at the end
of 2014, then we will be way, way, way behind the rest of the
"developed" world.

--
Mike Pellatt
Just use R(eply) (from a standards-compliant newsreader)
Old December 18th 04, 09:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Ed Start

"Mike Pellatt" wrote in message
"Pathetic. If "Standard Broadband" in the UK is only 3Mbps at the end of
2014, then we will be way, way, way behind the rest of the "developed"
world."

I doubt that BT will achieve this anyway, but, I wonder what effect the
digital revolution is having on peoples health. You see people sat day and
night in front of screens, obsessed, burning a calorie a day, doubling in
body mass, losing all social skills and becoming digital recluses....

at http://www.TitanNews.com