Testing your PC on someone else's line.

Old December 18th 04, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis Reynolds

Default Testing your PC on someone else's line.

If someone is experiencing difficulties achieving an initial BB
connection is it possible to test the PC, modem, splitter et al by
connecting it to another BB line which is known to be working?

I have heard it said this will only work if the other line is on the
same exchange and is using the same BB provider.

Dennis Reynolds --
If you are expectng me to reply and do not
get one within three days blame my spam
trap and email me again.
Old December 18th 04, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Dennis Reynolds wrote:
If someone is experiencing difficulties achieving an initial BB
connection is it possible to test the PC, modem, splitter et al by
connecting it to another BB line which is known to be working?

I have heard it said this will only work if the other line is on the
same exchange and is using the same BB provider.

If you set up the account details of the person who's line you are using
then yes, that way you could check your hardware. If you're trying to check
your account then it's a different kettle of fish entirely.

Old December 18th 04, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis Reynolds

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:38:27 -0000, "kraftee" [email protected]&
die.com wrote:

Dennis Reynolds wrote:
If someone is experiencing difficulties achieving an initial BB
connection is it possible to test the PC, modem, splitter et al by
connecting it to another BB line which is known to be working?

I have heard it said this will only work if the other line is on the
same exchange and is using the same BB provider.

kraftee replied:
If you set up the account details of the person who's line you are using
then yes, that way you could check your hardware. If you're trying to check
your account then it's a different kettle of fish entirely.

Thanks kraftee, but you leave me a bit puzzled.
I'm checking because I have a friend who needs to undertake a test
like this to eliminate any possibility that his lies anywhere but the
line. I had a similar problem and when I took my kit to another
friend's house I was able to connect using my logon details. So far as
I could see I was accessing my account. I certainly didn't put his
account details into my computer and his PC was totally disconnected
and switched off. He was on a different exchange and the only common
denominator was that we had the same ISP.

Would various ISP's have different rules about this? My friend who
needs to do the test now is on a different exchange and we don't share
the same ISP.
Old December 18th 04, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:34:12 +0000, Dennis Reynolds
strung together this:

If someone is experiencing difficulties achieving an initial BB
connection is it possible to test the PC, modem, splitter et al by
connecting it to another BB line which is known to be working?

I have heard it said this will only work if the other line is on the
same exchange and is using the same BB provider.

Your line, only your details work.
Mates line, only mates details work.
Your equipment, works on any line if the correct logon credentials are
entered.
--

SJW
Old December 20th 04, 12:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 18 Dec 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Lurch wrote:

Your line, only your details work. Mates line, only mates details work.

Are you sure ? I've tested settings on my line, using the details for a
different client of the same ISP, where that client lives miles away, to
be sure the router I'm sending them is set up and working OK. That will
be my line, their details. I've little doubt that if I sent my router,
to them, with my details still configured, the connection would work,
but the ISP would consider any traffic to be for me, unless there's a
way for them to get further information such that they could determine
the account was being 'hacked' from some other town. So if there were
two different ISPs, I would not expect it to work, but if the friend had
the same ISP, it may be a different matter. Peter M.

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old December 20th 04, 04:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 00:42:28 +0000, Peter M
strung together this:

Your line, only your details work. Mates line, only mates details work.

Are you sure ? I've tested settings on my line, using the details for a
different client of the same ISP, where that client lives miles away, to
be sure the router I'm sending them is set up and working OK. That will
be my line, their details. I've little doubt that if I sent my router,
to them, with my details still configured, the connection would work,
but the ISP would consider any traffic to be for me, unless there's a
way for them to get further information such that they could determine
the account was being 'hacked' from some other town. So if there were
two different ISPs, I would not expect it to work, but if the friend had
the same ISP, it may be a different matter. Peter M.

Hmm, should I perhaps add 'in general' then? I believe it used to work
like that, but AFAIK details are tied to lines nowadays. I've never
actually tried entering alternate details on anyones modem\router so I
can't say from personal experience.
--

SJW
Old December 20th 04, 10:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis Reynolds

wrote:

On 18 Dec 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Lurch wrote:

Your line, only your details work. Mates line, only mates details work.

Are you sure ? I've tested settings on my line, using the details for a
different client of the same ISP, where that client lives miles away, to
be sure the router I'm sending them is set up and working OK. That will
be my line, their details. I've little doubt that if I sent my router,
to them, with my details still configured, the connection would work,
but the ISP would consider any traffic to be for me, unless there's a
way for them to get further information such that they could determine
the account was being 'hacked' from some other town. So if there were
two different ISPs, I would not expect it to work, but if the friend had
the same ISP, it may be a different matter. Peter M.

Thanks Peter,
That accords with my experience. Snag is my mate who now needs the
test is using a different ISP. Still, at least I should be able to
check his hardware by using his PC to log on to my account.
Old December 20th 04, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 20 Dec 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Lurch wrote:

I believe it used to work like that, but AFAIK details are tied to
lines nowadays.

Not at the end of September, in this area at least, then... Peter M.

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old December 22nd 04, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:05:55 -0000, "kraftee" [email protected]&
die.com wrote:

The only
access which should work is the good old [email protected]_domain but even
that will only give you very limited access

there is also the speedtest one detailed somewehere in usertools at
Plusnet.....

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !