two into adsl

Old December 18th 04, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

Default two into adsl

Hi, I have here two computers joined with an Ethernet changeover cable, one
machine is me old desktop running vanilla W98 and the other is a newish
laptop running XP Home, this machine is connected to ADSL via Speedtouch
modem (courtesy of Demon Home 500) the Ethernet link work a treat, I used
the XP wizard. I now want the desktop to access the internet via the laptop
and ADSL, I have run thru the ICS wizard but I don't see how to set the
client, the desktop, to see the modem or internet. Is what I'm trying to do
possible or do I have to use a router.

Wassail

Geof

Old December 18th 04, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Geoff wrote:

Hi, I have here two computers joined with an Ethernet changeover
cable, one machine is me old desktop running vanilla W98 and the
other is a newish laptop running XP Home, this machine is connected
to ADSL via Speedtouch modem (courtesy of Demon Home 500) the
Ethernet link work a treat, I used the XP wizard. I now want the
desktop to access the internet via the laptop and ADSL, I have run
thru the ICS wizard but I don't see how to set the client, the
desktop, to see the modem or internet. Is what I'm trying to do
possible or do I have to use a router.

Wassail

Geof

It's certainly possible - that's what ICS is for. Have a careful read of the
ICS Help sections on *both* systems in order to get a clue as to how to set
it up. Wizards aren't always the best way!

Throwing away the Speedtouch and using an ADSL Modem/Router/Firewall would
be a better solution in many ways.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old December 19th 04, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Hi, I have here two computers joined with an Ethernet changeover cable,

one
machine is me old desktop running vanilla W98 and the other is a newish
laptop running XP Home, this machine is connected to ADSL via Speedtouch
modem (courtesy of Demon Home 500) the Ethernet link work a treat, I used
the XP wizard. I now want the desktop to access the internet via the

laptop
and ADSL, I have run thru the ICS wizard but I don't see how to set the
client, the desktop, to see the modem or internet. Is what I'm trying to

do
possible or do I have to use a router.

Wassail

Geof

I am using a similar set-up with a crossover cable and two Win98 PC's

Can the two PC's see each other in network neighbourhood? You will need to
share some folders
Make sure you have the same workgroup name and different computer names.

In the win98 box RUN- WINIPCFG select the network card and see what IP
address and subnet mask you have
Unless you have specified them manually you should have
192.168.0.2
255.255.255.0

and default gateway
192.168.0.1

Graham

%Profound_observation%

Old December 19th 04, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Shame you add a surcharge for Paypal!

Old December 19th 04, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

Cheers all.
king puters, after many appy ours faffing I've broke everthing, I'm off to
take a shower then to the pub!

Old December 20th 04, 01:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 19 Dec 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Nigel M wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband, Peter Crosland wrote:

Shame you add a surcharge for Paypal!

Only if buyers use a card. If anyone objects, I have other ways.

Ebay put a ban on surcharges months ago. Expect someone to report
you if you continue to put in listings showing a surcharge for
PayPal or similar methods of payment.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/listing-surcharges.html

Electronic Money Services: Sellers who accept electronic money services
as a means of payment for an item purchased on eBay, may not impose a
surcharge. Electronic money services include, but are not limited to,
services such as PayPal, Nochex, FastPay or Moneybookers.

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org