Use of Realplayer

Old December 19th 04, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

Default Use of Realplayer

What is the current perspective on Realplayer. Last time I looked into
it, it was said to be full of spyware and should be avoided. So has
anyone got the latest postion on it please and which version. The
Plusnet site give a d/l link but I haven't looked to check the version.

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)
Old December 19th 04, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
wooosh

"David G" [email protected] wrote in message
What is the current perspective on Realplayer. Last time I looked into it,
it was said to be full of spyware and should be avoided. So has anyone got
the latest postion on it please and which version. The Plusnet site give a
d/l link but I haven't looked to check the version.

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)

David,

I use a prog called 'Real Alternative'

either do a search on Google to read more about it or follow this link for
download.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi...lternative.cfm

Old December 19th 04, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David G

wooosh wrote:

David,

I use a prog called 'Real Alternative'

either do a search on Google to read more about it or follow this link for
download.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi...lternative.cfm

Thanks. I have tried that some time ago and could not get it to work. I
know they have been working on it so I will give it another shot.

--
Regards

David G
(remove r u n)
Old December 19th 04, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
news

In message , David
G writes
wooosh wrote:
David,
I use a prog called 'Real Alternative'
either do a search on Google to read more about it or follow this
link for download.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/vi...ayers/real_alt
ernative.cfm

Thanks. I have tried that some time ago and could not get it to work. I
know they have been working on it so I will give it another shot.

Another alternative.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/
--
Ian Muir
Old December 19th 04, 06:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Hutchings

In article ,
David G [email protected] wrote:

What is the current perspective on Realplayer. Last time I looked into
it, it was said to be full of spyware and should be avoided. So has
anyone got the latest postion on it please and which version. The
Plusnet site give a d/l link but I haven't looked to check the version.

Assuming you're on about the PC version, not so sure I'd call it spyware
but I did get ****ed off very quickly with all the pop-ups and adverts
and nags to "upgrade me".

Oddly the Mac version doesn't suffer from this, but I'm probably one of
ten people using it so perhaps they didn't consider it worth bothering.

There is a proggy called "Real Alternative" that claims to play Real
content, not sure of the URL but it may be worth a look.

cheers,
Paul
--
paul at spamcop dot net