Did Speedtouch/boot freeze problem get solved?

Old December 19th 04, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis Reynolds

Default Did Speedtouch/boot freeze problem get solved?

I hope this isn't a repetitive question but a google search has failed
to produce any history.

I recall someone having difficulties with their PC hanging during
boot-up unless they removed the Speedtouch 330 USB plug. The view
seemed to be that the VIA chipsets were at fault.

Did anyone ever find a solution?
Dennis Reynolds --
If you are expectng me to reply and do not
get one within three days blame my spam
trap and email me again.
Old December 19th 04, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Dennis Reynolds" wrote in message
I hope this isn't a repetitive question but a google search has failed
to produce any history.

I recall someone having difficulties with their PC hanging during
boot-up unless they removed the Speedtouch 330 USB plug. The view
seemed to be that the VIA chipsets were at fault.

That may have been me.

If so, the PC was a Dell Dimension R450. I removed a surplus Ethernet adapter,
and also installed some slightly more recent sound drivers. This did improve the
situation.

I have a post Sept 6th line. The modem was 'free' from Pipex, so after a week
when I had found that I had a reasonable connection I bought a router. The
latter shows line statistics, and I found that it was much happier directly
connected to my master socket, with the all the telephone extension wirng
isolated with a filter. I just keep the 330 in case I need it to help with
problem determination.

--

Michael Chare

Old December 19th 04, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Black Shuck

On 19/12/2004 23:37 Lurch got up from the bar and shouted..:
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:59:15 +0000, Dennis Reynolds
strung together this:

Did anyone ever find a solution?

Yes, bin the piece of ****e that is a USB modem and buy an ethernet
connected router.

Is this your reply to everything???

--
"This dog don't give a feck..."
Old December 20th 04, 12:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 23:55:20 +0000, Black Shuck
strung together this:

Is this your reply to everything???

Only people asking what to do with a USB modem.
--

SJW
Old December 20th 04, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 23:55:20 UTC, Black Shuck
wrote:

On 19/12/2004 23:37 Lurch got up from the bar and shouted..:
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:59:15 +0000, Dennis Reynolds
strung together this:

Did anyone ever find a solution?

Yes, bin the piece of ****e that is a USB modem and buy an ethernet
connected router.

Is this your reply to everything???

But that *is* the solution...

--
[Davism - a condition by which the sufferer experiences an inability
euthanasia recommended. (also known as Gee-axia)]
Old December 20th 04, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron Lowe

Did anyone ever find a solution?

Yes, bin the piece of ****e that is a USB modem and buy an ethernet
connected router.

Is this your reply to everything???

But that *is* the solution...

But it can also be a problem...

The default configuration of a router will place the PC behind NAT,
whereas it would have had a direct connection on a public IP address
with the USB modem.

This will break end-to-end connectivity, and you may run into
problems with applications that don't play well behind NAT.

There are other solutions too, for example having a router which
is not doing NAT.

For example, routing an allocated block of public IP
addresses to your LAN. This restores end-to-end conectivity,
but you will need to be sure to firewall the router since you loose
the inherent inbound firewalling of NAT.

And you need an ISP that understands what the
last paragraph means, and can provide it :-)

--
Ron

Old December 20th 04, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:21:12 UTC, "Ron Lowe"
wrote:

Did anyone ever find a solution?

Yes, bin the piece of ****e that is a USB modem and buy an ethernet
connected router.

Is this your reply to everything???

But that *is* the solution...

But it can also be a problem...

The default configuration of a router will place the PC behind NAT,
whereas it would have had a direct connection on a public IP address
with the USB modem.

But only the default...

This will break end-to-end connectivity, and you may run into
problems with applications that don't play well behind NAT.

There are other solutions too, for example having a router which
is not doing NAT.

For example, routing an allocated block of public IP
addresses to your LAN. This restores end-to-end conectivity,
but you will need to be sure to firewall the router since you loose
the inherent inbound firewalling of NAT.

And you need an ISP that understands what the
last paragraph means, and can provide it :-)

I do! And they can! And I have! :-)

Old December 20th 04, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron Lowe

And you need an ISP that understands what the
last paragraph means, and can provide it :-)

I do! And they can! And I have! :-)

Yes, I know..
AOL me too etc, etc :-)

Now everyone can have endless amounts of fun aimlessly trying to figuring
out who it is. A hopeless pursuit, and a needless distraction.

--
Ron

Old December 20th 04, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 20:21:04 UTC, "Ron Lowe"
wrote:

And you need an ISP that understands what the
last paragraph means, and can provide it :-)

I do! And they can! And I have! :-)

Yes, I know..
AOL me too etc, etc :-)

Now everyone can have endless amounts of fun aimlessly trying to figuring
out who it is. A hopeless pursuit, and a needless distraction.

Which is both limitless and timeless!