Sagem [email protected] 800 hanging problems.

Old December 19th 04, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Black Shuck

Default Sagem [email protected] 800 hanging problems.

Built a PC for a work collegue, and it's working fine, until he plugs
his Tiscali supplied Sagem [email protected] 800 ADSL modem in, after which it's
very diffucult to start the PC without it locking up or blue screening.

Of course, Tiscali washed their hands of the problem (we all know they
are a total waste of space anyway), and therefore the problem has
defaulted back to me (even though the PC runs perfectly with the modem
unplugged).

Anyone seen these problems and have any ideas?

Am taking it back in tommorow to have a look at.

THe PC is Pentium4 based, 3.0Ghz, Hyperthreading enabled, 1Gb RAM, Abit
AI7 (Intel 865PE Chipset) motherboard.

On a related note, I will be tested it at my home. I have Plusnet
broadband, can I have both my router online AND this other PC with it's
USB modem? I also assume I will have to input my Plusnet details, rather
than the previous Tiscali settings (or will they still work from my
location).

Thanks.
Old December 19th 04, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 23:10:20 +0000, Black Shuck
strung together this:

Of course, Tiscali washed their hands of the problem (we all know they
are a total waste of space anyway), and therefore the problem has
defaulted back to me (even though the PC runs perfectly with the modem
unplugged).

USB modems are crap at the best of times, if it doesn't work, it
doesn't work. Buy a router instead.

On a related note, I will be tested it at my home. I have Plusnet
broadband, can I have both my router online AND this other PC with it's
USB modem? I also assume I will have to input my Plusnet details, rather
than the previous Tiscali settings (or will they still work from my
location).

No, only your details will work on your line and only one modem can
connected to the line at any one time.
--

SJW
Old December 19th 04, 11:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Black Shuck

On 19/12/2004 23:39 Lurch got up from the bar and shouted..:
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 23:10:20 +0000, Black Shuck
strung together this:

Of course, Tiscali washed their hands of the problem (we all know they
are a total waste of space anyway), and therefore the problem has
defaulted back to me (even though the PC runs perfectly with the modem
unplugged).

USB modems are crap at the best of times, if it doesn't work, it
doesn't work. Buy a router instead.

We all know that, but try telling that to the ISP's that still dish this
**** out. I'm certainly not going to buy him a router, just because he
chose a ISP that doesn't give a ****...

--
"This dog don't give a feck..."
Old December 20th 04, 12:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 23:52:23 +0000, Black Shuck
strung together this:

We all know that, but try telling that to the ISP's that still dish this
**** out. I'm certainly not going to buy him a router, just because he
chose a ISP that doesn't give a ****...

Well, tell him that then.
--

SJW
Old December 20th 04, 12:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

[...]

The Sagem is possibly pulling too much current from the USB port.
Try connecting it via a USB hub, but not one of those cheap passive ones,
Use one that gets it's power from a wall wart.

Better still, bin the USB modem and get a PCI type.

Or why not go the whole hog and get a router.
Even if your friend has only the one PC, the added security of a hardware
firewall wont hurt.

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%