F'in wireless stuff .. ;-(

Old December 19th 04, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

Default F'in wireless stuff .. ;-(

So,

Connected to AOL V the sts USB ADSL modem and created an account for
new router. We logged in using the new account and all seemed ok...

Removed the AOL / USB ADSL modem from the main machine and replaced it
with a ADSL WiFi router, watched the ADSL light come on then connected
to the Admin account (the info on the quick connect sheet for the
router was wrong for the admin account .. but got in with a few well
aimed blows).

Configured the sign in account, MTU / MUT whatever (there was only one
field) to 1400, and the other two to 0 and 38 and pppoe or summat and
according to the log it wasn't authenticating. Checked the notes I'd
made from this list and added the @aol.com to the username and we were
in ;-)

Then enabled the (11g) AP, set the SSID to something I would spot then
fitted the Belkin PCI (11b) card to his daughters machine ... nothing,
no signal, zip.. Tried my 11b USB dongle .. also nothing (no signal at
all) My laptop next to it could see a service with Netstumbler and
would connect using a different card (but not the one Netstumbler
would use ..) ?. There didn't seem to be any other WiFi lans about at
that time bit then I only had the 2 x 11b PCMCIA cards (would they
have detected an IIg network?)

Added a different make PCI card to the sons machine and it found the
SSID and connected ok (weak signal but connected anyway). I downloaded
about 10 updates ok then SP2 then nothing .. ;-(

Back on the net on the hard wired machine and re-found the bit about
Zero Config Networking and disabled the service. Used the util that
came with the card and away we went again .. (I then got pushed off by
the son so he could install Kazza and get onto MSN) ;-(

Back to the daughters machine, disabled ZCN and up came that machine
via my 11b USB dongle I had left in there. Downloaded a few extra
updates to SP2 then nothing again. ;-(

Tried a USB 11b dongle but it still wouldn't seem to connect (but I'm
not sure I trust that ..)

There seemmed to be something in the air that was causing the signal
to fluctuate between 75% and nothing in about 1s cycles? .. I even got
him to turn off all the cordless phone bases and put the phones in a
sausepan with the lid on .. but I'm not sure it helped or not .. (I
was too tired / confused by that point)?

Anyway . I left it two machines working but will have to go back to
extend the line to the router properly with a bit of twisted pair,
find another card for the daughters machine and lock the lot down
properly.. There was another Belkin PCI card somewhere but they had
lost it ... ?

That's 6 beers he owes me now .. ;-)

T i m