How to config sendmail for relaying emails to my ISP?

Old December 20th 04, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Dewar

Default How to config sendmail for relaying emails to my ISP?

Peter wrote:
Hi,

We have an in-house www server (on ADSL) which a friend configured and
which works great. It hosts a few very small low-usage websites.

The next job is to set up an authenticated smtp server. The purpose of
this is to enable me and a few others to send emails using normal
methods from a GPRS/GSM/WIFI laptop from anywhere. This isn't a
problem either.

However because a lot of ISP's dynamic IP blocks get blacklisted
(actually we have a fixed IP but it probably gets allocated from a
dynamic IP block) we want to set up this smtp server so that it
forwards the emails to our ISP's smtp server for onward transmission.
This was suggested in this newsgroup some months ago as highly
desirable.

My friend is having some problems finding out how to do this. He is
working on this project very part-time and doesn't use usenet so I am
asking here for any pointers which would be greatly appreciated.

Peter.
E-mail replies to but remove the X and the Y.

Hi,

To do this try adding the following to your sendmail configuration:
define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp:ISP_MAILSERVER_HERE')dnl

hth.
Old December 20th 04, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John F Hall

In article ,
Martyn Dewar wrote:

To do this try adding the following to your sendmail configuration:
define(`SMART_HOST', `smtp:ISP_MAILSERVER_HERE')dnl

Better is:

define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp:[ISP_MAILSERVER_HERE]')dnl

The former uses the MX references for the mailserver as the destination,
the latter uses the actual named mailserver. Sendmail defaults to using
MX records, the [] prevents that.

(You might also consider whether "esmtp" might be better.)

--
John F Hall