Netgear v BT v Belkin

Old December 20th 04, 09:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

Default Netgear v BT v Belkin

My local PC World sells a Belkin modem/router, a BT modem/router (Voyager
2100) and a Netgear modem/router. Is any one of these better than the other?
The Netgear is slightly cheaper (but not much) and it claims to support
"ADSL 2" whatever that is.

Cheers.

Bobby

Old December 20th 04, 10:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
dylan

I have a DG834G dsl modem / router, works with no problems. Tried a belkin
wireless PCI card which wouldn't work with my Netgear MP101 so took it back.

Old December 21st 04, 03:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 20:39:24 -0000, "Bobby" wrote:

My local PC World sells a Belkin modem/router, a BT modem/router (Voyager
2100) and a Netgear modem/router. Is any one of these better than the other?
The Netgear is slightly cheaper (but not much) and it claims to support
"ADSL 2" whatever that is.

No doubt someone else can provide much better information than I, but
ADSL2, as I understand it, is ADSL with the same up/down speeds and
higher overall speed. Basically ADSL on speed.
Old December 21st 04, 07:32 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Bobby

Is anyone (e.g. BT) going to supply ADSL2? Is it worth buying a modem that
supports it? Will existing modem be flash-upgradeable?

Cheers.

Bobby

Old December 21st 04, 09:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
dylan

Looks like they double the bandwidth to achieve greater speeds.
http://www.nwfusion.com/news/tech/20...echupdate.html

PS
my understanding is if they used same up/down speed it would be DSL2 ) (A
is for asynchronous)

Old December 21st 04, 10:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 20:39:24 -0000, "Bobby" strung
together this:

My local PC World sells a Belkin modem/router, a BT modem/router (Voyager
2100) and a Netgear modem/router. Is any one of these better than the other?
The Netgear is slightly cheaper (but not much) and it claims to support
"ADSL 2" whatever that is.

I'd go for the Netgear. I've got loads of Netgear stuff at home and at
cliets premises and they all work fine, and have done for months.
--

SJW
Old December 21st 04, 11:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
NoSpam

Bobby wrote:
Is anyone (e.g. BT) going to supply ADSL2? Is it worth buying a modem that
supports it?

No.

That article states vanilla ADSL operates at up to "8M and 10M bit/sec".

Once we get anywhere near that speed in the UK, perhaps then we might
start wondering what ADSL2 may have for us.

It's all a long, long way off.
Old December 21st 04, 11:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Murray

"Richard Sobey" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 20:39:24 -0000, "Bobby" wrote:

My local PC World sells a Belkin modem/router, a BT modem/router (Voyager
2100) and a Netgear modem/router. Is any one of these better than the

other?
The Netgear is slightly cheaper (but not much) and it claims to support
"ADSL 2" whatever that is.

No doubt someone else can provide much better information than I, but
ADSL2, as I understand it, is ADSL with the same up/down speeds and
higher overall speed. Basically ADSL on speed.

If the the up/down speeds are the same then shurely its SDSL not ADSL....?
;-)

Old December 21st 04, 11:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Murray

"Bobby" wrote in message
My local PC World sells a Belkin modem/router, a BT modem/router (Voyager
2100) and a Netgear modem/router. Is any one of these better than the

other?
The Netgear is slightly cheaper (but not much) and it claims to support
"ADSL 2" whatever that is.

Not got any experience of anything other than the old BT Voyager 2000 (11b
not 11g like the 2100), but IMHE the BT kit works straight out of the box is
mega simple to setup and even makes setting up security simple, especially
if you use the matching BT USB or PCMCIA wifis.

Old December 22nd 04, 12:21 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:49:29 -0000, "Andrew Murray"
strung together this:

If the the up/down speeds are the same then shurely its SDSL not ADSL....?
;-)

Hmm, thought I said that but I seem to have forgot to post it!
--

SJW