Linksys WAG54G weirdness

Old December 21st 04, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

Default Linksys WAG54G weirdness

Just got mine up and running - all PC's can access the net through it.
Problem is, no pc's can see each other. I also had to configure all machines
with static settings as they couldnt contact my DHCP server.
I have since tried setting the wireless mode to "802.11G" rather than mixed,
and I can now ping and connect to other machines (but DHCP still not working
either on relay or disabled).

Any clues? Dont mind leaving it on that mode, but it means my MP101 wont
work over wireless... no real loss as it's on top of the router so I can use
a cable, but still seems odd...

Have upgraded to latest f/w also.
James.

Old December 21st 04, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen \(aka steford\)

James wrote:
Just got mine up and running - all PC's can access the net through it.
Problem is, no pc's can see each other. I also had to configure all
machines with static settings as they couldnt contact my DHCP server.
I have since tried setting the wireless mode to "802.11G" rather than
mixed, and I can now ping and connect to other machines (but DHCP
still not working either on relay or disabled).

Any clues? Dont mind leaving it on that mode, but it means my MP101
wont work over wireless... no real loss as it's on top of the router
so I can use a cable, but still seems odd...

Have upgraded to latest f/w also.
James.

Sent mine back it was so poor.

Old December 22nd 04, 01:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Stephen (aka steford) wrote:
James wrote:
Just got mine up and running - all PC's can access the net through
it. Problem is, no pc's can see each other. I also had to configure
all machines with static settings as they couldnt contact my DHCP
server. I have since tried setting the wireless mode to "802.11G"
rather than mixed, and I can now ping and connect to other machines
(but DHCP still not working either on relay or disabled).

Any clues? Dont mind leaving it on that mode, but it means my MP101
wont work over wireless... no real loss as it's on top of the router
so I can use a cable, but still seems odd...

Have upgraded to latest f/w also.
James.

Sent mine back it was so poor.

Can't blame you as their after sales support is abysmal on all counts, all
they want to do is close the 'ticket' not deal with the problems...

Old December 22nd 04, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward

James wrote:
Just got mine up and running - all PC's can access the net through it.
Problem is, no pc's can see each other. I also had to configure all
machines with static settings as they couldnt contact my DHCP server.
I have since tried setting the wireless mode to "802.11G" rather than
mixed, and I can now ping and connect to other machines (but DHCP
still not working either on relay or disabled).

Any clues? Dont mind leaving it on that mode, but it means my MP101
wont work over wireless... no real loss as it's on top of the router
so I can use a cable, but still seems odd...

Have upgraded to latest f/w also.
James.

thats odd, mine works in mixed mode OK (two wireless machines, one g and one
b). All machines have static IPs and all seems to work OK. Firmware
1.02.1. I'm confused, if you have all static IPs, then what is the DHCP
server doing?

Old December 22nd 04, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Sayers

"James" wrote:

Just got mine up and running - all PC's can access the net through it.
Problem is, no pc's can see each other. I also had to configure all machines
with static settings as they couldnt contact my DHCP server.
I have since tried setting the wireless mode to "802.11G" rather than mixed,
and I can now ping and connect to other machines (but DHCP still not working
either on relay or disabled).

Any clues? Dont mind leaving it on that mode, but it means my MP101 wont
work over wireless... no real loss as it's on top of the router so I can use
a cable, but still seems odd...

Have upgraded to latest f/w also.

Mine works well enough here, but I have manually set the IP addresses for each
computer using the 192.168.1.xx range.

Wireless mode is "mixed". Interface under "advanced routing" set to "LAN &
Wireless".

I don't know if that will help at all.

--
The reply to email address is a valid address of a
proven spammer, quoted with the sole intention of
Old December 23rd 04, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

"Edward" wrote in message
James wrote:
[...]

The DHCP server is currently doing nothing, due to the static IP's, but I
don't really want to do this - it means if I take my laptop elsewhere I need
to go into the network properties and set it back to auto-configured. Not
the end of the world, but a pain. Just had to talk the gf through it as she
has gone to her sisters for xmas and couldn't connect the the net there!
Either way, with it in mixed mode, I couldn't ping any other machine,
although I *could* get access. Most odd.
At least now it is working, but I'd just like it working "properly"!

Old December 23rd 04, 04:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James

&
Wireless".

I don't know if that will help at all.

See reply to Edward - with Static settings it works, but only in G mode, but
hey - it works
Still confused!.
Cheers,
James

Old December 24th 04, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Edward

"James" wrote:

[...]

never saw your reply! wretched BTyahoo news servers. grrrrr
Old December 24th 04, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spacen Jasset

Stephen (aka steford) wrote:
James wrote:

Just got mine up and running - all PC's can access the net through it.
Problem is, no pc's can see each other. I also had to configure all
machines with static settings as they couldnt contact my DHCP server.
I have since tried setting the wireless mode to "802.11G" rather than
mixed, and I can now ping and connect to other machines (but DHCP
still not working either on relay or disabled).

Any clues? Dont mind leaving it on that mode, but it means my MP101
wont work over wireless... no real loss as it's on top of the router
so I can use a cable, but still seems odd...

Have upgraded to latest f/w also.
James.

Sent mine back it was so poor.

Mine is going back as soon a possible too. The WAG54G is infact, a dog.
The whole linksys range has a bad vibe.

Old December 26th 04, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BlackShuck

James got up from the bar and shouted: :
Just got mine up and running - all PC's can access the net through it.
Problem is, no pc's can see each other. I also had to configure all machines
with static settings as they couldnt contact my DHCP server.
I have since tried setting the wireless mode to "802.11G" rather than mixed,
and I can now ping and connect to other machines (but DHCP still not working
either on relay or disabled).

Any clues? Dont mind leaving it on that mode, but it means my MP101 wont
work over wireless... no real loss as it's on top of the router so I can use
a cable, but still seems odd...

Have upgraded to latest f/w also.
James.

Bag of ****e. One of the worst routers I have seen. Unfortunatly, I
mentioned to a friend who was considering purchasing, that because it's
a Cisco company, he couldn't go wrong. What a **** I fel now, as his
particular WAG-54G is hopeless.

His problems (apart from the well documented DHCP problems, which are
inexcusable), is that whenever he hosts a webserver from his internal
LAN, the WAG only stays up for about 2 hours before falling over,
requiring a reboot. Firmware updates, and restoring factory settings
did nothing to help relibaility. The wireless range is also hopeless.

Anyone reading this, should consider shopping for something else.