Phuket gets free bomb blankets from US

Old December 21st 04, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chabon_a_shitstain

Default Phuket gets free bomb blankets from US

Tuesday, December 21, 2004
‘Target' Phuket to receive more anti-terrorism equipment

PHUKET CITY: Phuket is to receive two "bomb blankets" worth 500,000
baht each from the US Embassy, to use in the event of a suspected
terrorist attack.

The blankets would be placed over suspected bombs to catch shrapnel
and fragments in the event of an explosion.

The blankets are due to be handed over to Governor Udomsak
Usawarangkura on December 27 by David Turner of the US Department of
Defense, who is based at the US Embassy in Bangkok.

The acquisition of the blankets was one the counter-terrorism measures
referred to by Gov Udomsak yesterday in a speech, following recent
reports in the Thai national press that Phuket was on a list of
potential targets drawn up by suspected Islamic militants investigated
by police.

"We are examining Phuket's security seriously," said Gov Udomsak.
"Local administration staff and police are being conscientious."

The Governor said government officers and police were working with
tourism operators to identify potential suspects, and that the
provincial police, marine police and Royal Thai Navy are preparing to
set up checkpoints on land and at sea.

Special attention would be paid to crowded areas, such as Patong and
sports stadiums, the Governor said.

He added, "We are cooperating with everyone we can, but, at the same
time, if local people have any relevant information, we will be happy
to hear from them."