Use AOL for access, everything else '3rd party' ...

Old December 21st 04, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

Default Use AOL for access, everything else '3rd party' ...

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:02:23 UTC, Tx2
wrote:

Is it possible to use AOL for the access, and everything else via 3rd
party, so to speak?

It's pretty much what I do with my current ISP, Plusnet ... use their
connection, but all my POP3 and SMTP is done via hosts.

Do you mean a local mail server, or just a third party one?

Can you use AOL simply for the connection, and then 'farm' other stuff
out? Are there any issues with FTP, POP, SMTP, MSN Messenger etc etc?

I would doubt it, given that AOL block email themselves for lesser
reasons!

--
[Davism - a condition by which the sufferer experiences an inability
euthanasia recommended. (also known as Gee-axia)]
Old December 21st 04, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:17:47 UTC, Tx2
wrote:

It's pretty much what I do with my current ISP, Plusnet ... use their
connection, but all my POP3 and SMTP is done via hosts.

Do you mean a local mail server, or just a third party one?

A 3rd party one - a hosting company's SMTP or POP service say.

Can you use AOL simply for the connection, and then 'farm' other stuff
out? Are there any issues with FTP, POP, SMTP, MSN Messenger etc etc?

I would doubt it

Would doubt what? That you can simply use AOL for the connection, or if
there are issues with the services i mention?

Well, you can use AOL for the connection of course. But I suspect they
run an SMTP proxy, although I doubt they stop you accessing POP3
elsewhere. FTP and Messenger ought to be fine - I can't see any ISP
(except perhaps Supanet ;-)) blocking those.

As I think I said before, AOL are very restrictive about the external
SMTP clients they allow to connect to them. I know this doesn't affact
you directly, but it's symptomatic of a knee-kerk, scatter gun attitude.

Old December 21st 04, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 21 Dec 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, Tx2 wrote:

It's pretty much what I do with my current ISP, Plusnet ... use
their connection, but all my POP3 and SMTP is done via hosts.

Do you mean a local mail server, or just a third party one?

A 3rd party one - a hosting company's SMTP or POP service say.

Should have few or no problems collecting mail by POP from any servers.

Someone in the past has mentioned that AOL (rather like Freeserve did) has
trapped outgoing SMTP mail (presumably to force it via their own?) and may
block incoming traffic on port 25. AOL is one of the less suitable (if not
least suitable, given its non-standard nature) services to use as an "ISP"
(I have grave doubts mentioning AOL and ISP in the same sentence!). Peter.

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old December 21st 04, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:41:09 UTC, Peter M
wrote:

Someone in the past has mentioned that AOL (rather like Freeserve did) has
trapped outgoing SMTP mail (presumably to force it via their own?)

Yes, my wife had an annoyingly bright sixth former whom she was teaching
A level computing. He decided to port scan me to see if he could catch
me out.

He reported triumphantly that I was operating an open relay. I said I
most certainly was not, but he insisted. Then I made him look at the
headers of a test message, and try telnetting to 'my' port 25....!