ADSL problems -- is it Wanadoo or BT?

Old December 22nd 04, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Simon Langford

Default ADSL problems -- is it Wanadoo or BT?

Hello all,

My saga with installing broadband continues...

I succeeded in getting BT to remove the DACS from my line, and I've had
notification from Wanadoo that the ADSL service has been activated. I
installed their driver software, plugged in all the filters and the USB
modem that they sent me, but the modem fails to negotiate an ADSL link.

The blurb says that the modem can be plugged into any phone socket -- is
this true or do I need to try the master socket? (Problem: my house
seems to have 5 extension sockets and no master socket. The BT engineer
who came out to check the line once the DACS had been removed was
surprised about this. He said "it must be in the cellar", but we don't
have a cellar! All the extensions work fine for voice and dialup.)

I have called BT and Wanadoo and they both confirm that ADSL should be
active. What do I need to do now? I'm paying 18 per month for a
flashing "error" LED at the moment.

Any help would be great...

Simon.
Old December 22nd 04, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Peter Crosland

You should insist BT install a proper master socket.

--
Peter Crosland

Old December 22nd 04, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:51:10 GMT, Simon Langford
wrote:

The blurb says that the modem can be plugged into any phone socket -- is
this true or do I need to try the master socket?

yes it can go into any socket.

(Problem: my house
seems to have 5 extension sockets and no master socket. The BT engineer
who came out to check the line once the DACS had been removed was
surprised about this. He said "it must be in the cellar", but we don't
have a cellar! All the extensions work fine for voice and dialup.)

one of them will be a master socket, even though it looks the same.
What you're missing is an NTE5 linebox that allows you to disconnect
all your internal extensions and hook up direct to the incoming line.

Try it with all phones/faxes/sky boxes/alarms/CLID units removed, only
the ADSL modem via a microfilter or an RJ11-BT adaptor. If still no
joy then you need your ISP to ask BT to attend to resolve it.
Background info at http://www.yarwell.demon.co.uk/longlines.html

does the www.bt.com/broadband line checker say you can only have 512k
ie your line is longish ?

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old December 22nd 04, 11:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Samuria

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:51:10 GMT, Simon Langford
wrote:
You dont say what the modem is or o/s as it could be the modem which
is at fault. A modem doesnt need a filter so if you can try it
without. Give us some details of your o/s and modem. There was a lot
of problems with Binatone modems and no one got them to work on xp

Old December 23rd 04, 12:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Michael Chare

[...]

AFAIK you will have a master socket.. If you remove all the faceplates, you
should find a capacitor inside one of them. That is the master socket.

Nowadays BT fit master sockets with detachable 1/2 faceplates. All extension
wiring is connected to this detachable faceplate. If the detachable 1/2
faceplate is removed, it will reveal an internal socket which connects to the
incoming phone line.

In the past BT used to 'star' wire houses, so that the incoming phone line
splits before it get to the master socket. If your house is wired like this then
connecting an ADSL modem to the master socket may not make much difference
(unless you are prepared to disconnect the extension wiring yourself.)

If you have a marginal phone line (as shown by the BT ADSL line checker ) I
would suggest that you ask Wanadoo to ask BT to send out someone to investigate
your line and maybe fit a filtered faceplate.

--

Michael Chare

Old December 23rd 04, 12:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Lordy

Simon Langford wrote in news:41c9519e$0
:

I succeeded in getting BT to remove the DACS from my line,

How do you go about doing this. I remember in the early days it was like
getting blood from a stone. Presumably BT have processes in place to deal
with this now??

I'm planning to buy a flat next year and without broadband I might
accidentally get a life

--
Lordy
Old December 23rd 04, 10:38 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Langford

mark eldon wrote:

try unplugging ALL the filters except the one nearest the pc

I've already tried that. And last night I took home a laptop and a
4-port ADSL/ethernet hub and tried each phone extension individually.
Still no joy -- the hub detected ADSL but failed to get line
synchronisation.

Wanadoo have escalated the problem to BT (whatever that means!).

Simon.
Old December 23rd 04, 10:45 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Langford

Phil Thompson wrote:

Try it with all phones/faxes/sky boxes/alarms/CLID units removed, only
the ADSL modem via a microfilter or an RJ11-BT adaptor. If still no
joy then you need your ISP to ask BT to attend to resolve it.

I have tried this (and lots of combinations of other phones, no other
phones, etc). I only have three telephones -- two plain old variety &
one cordless DECT.

Background info at http://www.yarwell.demon.co.uk/longlines.html

does the www.bt.com/broadband line checker say you can only have 512k
ie your line is longish ?

I think I must be on a short-ish line as the checker says I "should be
able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides 2Mbps, 1Mbps,
512Kbps or 256Kbps download speed."

Simon.
Old December 23rd 04, 10:46 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Langford

Samuria wrote:

You dont say what the modem is or o/s as it could be the modem which
is at fault. A modem doesnt need a filter so if you can try it
without. Give us some details of your o/s and modem. There was a lot
of problems with Binatone modems and no one got them to work on xp.

I'm using XP service pack 2. I've tried the Thompson speedtouch 330 and
500 series (both via filters). The 500 series has slightly better
diagnostics -- it detects ADSL but fails to get line synchronisation.

S.