VoIP connection to Switchboard

Old December 22nd 04, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

Default VoIP connection to Switchboard

I would very much like to be able to connect and ADSL router like the
Vigor 2600V or similar to my telephone switchboard.

The problem I see is that the POTS port is designed to accept a normal
phone where the user lifts the handset and dials the call.

I can connect the port to my switchboard but can only call it - i.e.
provide a ring tone but not simulate picking up the receiver.

Can anyone think of a way to do this.

Many thanks.
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)
Old December 22nd 04, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Les Desser" wrote in message
I would very much like to be able to connect and ADSL router like the
Vigor 2600V or similar to my telephone switchboard.

The problem I see is that the POTS port is designed to accept a normal
phone where the user lifts the handset and dials the call.

I can connect the port to my switchboard but can only call it - i.e.
provide a ring tone but not simulate picking up the receiver.

Can anyone think of a way to do this.

(The Reply-to address IS valid)

Where you would normaly plug in the handset you connect this port to a trunk
on the PBX and if possible configure this as a DISA trunk, that way when you
pick up that line you get dial tone from the router and incomming calls will
get internal dial tone. or if you cant st up disa the designated phone on
the system will ring.

You may clear down problems though.

Ian

FWD 43143

Old December 22nd 04, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , Ian
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:55:56 writes

"Les Desser" wrote in message
I would very much like to be able to connect and ADSL router like the
Vigor 2600V or similar to my telephone switchboard.

The problem I see is that the POTS port is designed to accept a normal
phone where the user lifts the handset and dials the call.

I can connect the port to my switchboard but can only call it - i.e.
provide a ring tone but not simulate picking up the receiver.

Can anyone think of a way to do this.

(The Reply-to address IS valid)

Where you would normaly plug in the handset you connect this port to a trunk
on the PBX and if possible configure this as a DISA trunk, that way when you
pick up that line you get dial tone from the router and incomming calls will
get internal dial tone. or if you cant st up disa the designated phone on
the system will ring.

You may clear down problems though.

I'm not sure if I understand that - though maybe I have not expressed my
request clearly.

I want to be able to make outgoing calls via the switchboard. Say the
VoIP port is connected to an extension on the switchboard. I would want
to call that extension in the hope that it would somehow answer and
allow a call to be dialled.

This would achieve two things.

1. I can make VoIP calls from any extension on the switchboard.

2. I could put an option on my software ansaphone to switch an incoming
call through to this extension to forward the call to an IP address of
my choice.
Old December 22nd 04, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Albrow SJ

"Les Desser" wrote in message
I would very much like to be able to connect and ADSL router like the Vigor
2600V or similar to my telephone switchboard.

The problem I see is that the POTS port is designed to accept a normal
phone where the user lifts the handset and dials the call.

I can connect the port to my switchboard but can only call it - i.e.
provide a ring tone but not simulate picking up the receiver.

Can anyone think of a way to do this.

It should just work as a pbx essentially acts in the same way as a phone
does. I'm assuming the vigor will generate ringing and the pbx will then do
whatever it has been programmed to do for that trunk - its designed to
interface with pots.
For outgoing you will pick that line and it will provide you with dial tone.

If connecting to an extention, as I do currently with a premicell it is only
sutiable for outgoing calls (because its orange everyphone gets around the
caller id causing incoming problem). When someone calls in they will simply
get internal dial tone.

It shouldn't really be a problem though? Are you trying to get someone at
home \ remote office as part of your switchboard able to use calling
packages \ dial out as if at the same location etc.

I belive I read that two vigors could be programmed to automatically dial
each other - i.e if I connected a vigor to ext 21 on my pbx and a vigor the
other end with a phone plugged in I would be able to get calls the same as I
do at the moment with ext 21 on my desk at home. I would assume that it
could work the other way as well that as soon as I lift the voip handset it
would connect to the other vigor via the net and I get internal dial tone.

I think there are some good diagrams on the draytex website that go into all
this. I think there are two different types of the 2600V FXO? and
something - similar to the way on a premicell there is a trunk and extention
option, basically the extention option has to at the very least (without the
autodialling as it were) answer calls automatically when called.

....hmm not sure that made sense.

Regards,
Sam

Many thanks.
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)

---
If you have any queries regarding this email please contact Horshamnet on
08708811293.

Old December 22nd 04, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Les Desser

In article ,
Albrow SJ Wed, 22 Dec 2004
17:50:25 writes

"Les Desser" wrote in message
I would very much like to be able to connect and ADSL router like the Vigor
2600V or similar to my telephone switchboard.

The problem I see is that the POTS port is designed to accept a normal
phone where the user lifts the handset and dials the call.

I can connect the port to my switchboard but can only call it - i.e.
provide a ring tone but not simulate picking up the receiver.

Can anyone think of a way to do this.

It should just work as a pbx essentially acts in the same way as a phone
does. I'm assuming the vigor will generate ringing and the pbx will then do
whatever it has been programmed to do for that trunk - its designed to
interface with pots.
For outgoing you will pick that line and it will provide you with dial tone.

Aha - I have been blinkered into just thinking of connecting as an
extension.

Connecting the Vigor as a line sounds promising.

I now understand Ian's earlier post - sorry Ian for being thick.

If connecting to an extention, as I do currently with a premicell it is only
sutiable for outgoing calls (because its orange everyphone gets around the
caller id causing incoming problem). When someone calls in they will simply
get internal dial tone.

It shouldn't really be a problem though? Are you trying to get someone at
home \ remote office as part of your switchboard able to use calling
packages \ dial out as if at the same location etc.

Besides the obvious use of making calls via VoIP from any extension, I
would like to configure my IVM Answering Attendant to give a caller the
option to forward the call (I may be abroad at the end of an ADSL line
fitted with a matching Vigor).

IVM has the capability to put the call on hold and forward it to an
extension (untested). I think it puts the call on hold, dials a preset
sequence and hangs up. The switchboard then transfers the call.

Some switchboards have the capability to transfer to an outside line but
I think that mine (Panasonic DBS) can only do internal transfer. So I
think the Vigor connected as a line will not support this requirement.

I belive I read that two vigors could be programmed to automatically dial
each other - i.e if I connected a vigor to ext 21 on my pbx and a vigor the
other end with a phone plugged in I would be able to get calls the same as I
do at the moment with ext 21 on my desk at home. I would assume that it
could work the other way as well that as soon as I lift the voip handset it
would connect to the other vigor via the net and I get internal dial tone.

I think there are some good diagrams on the draytex website that go into all
this. I think there are two different types of the 2600V FXO? and
something - similar to the way on a premicell there is a trunk and extention
option, basically the extention option has to at the very least (without the
autodialling as it were) answer calls automatically when called.

It was to such questions I tried to get answers on the Draytek site but
their on-line support is very fussy - you have to enter the equipment
S/N before you can post.

Maybe I will try their sales email address.

Thanks for your help.

[..]

How do I know I can trust that message
Old December 23rd 04, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Albrow SJ

"Les Desser" wrote in message
I would very much like to be able to connect and ADSL router like the
Vigor

It was to such questions I tried to get answers on the Draytek site but
their on-line support is very fussy - you have to enter the equipment S/N
before you can post.

http://www.draytek.com/english/produ...plications.php

http://www.seg.co.uk/products/a_vigor2600v.html also

I belive that the one you need for extentions is FXO? - so to build the
perfect system you need FXO plugged into extentions and FXS the other end.
They seem to have taken all mention of it off the website now (seg.co.uk),
it was listed as coming soon when I last looked I think.

Please don't take what I say as gospel though.

Regards,

Sam

Old December 23rd 04, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Jim

"Les Desser" wrote in message
In article ,
Albrow SJ Wed, 22 Dec 2004
17:50:25 writes

"Les Desser" wrote in message
[...]

There is a reference to a future version of the 2600 with a FXS port.
Wouldn't you be better with a multi FXS port gateway at the switchboard end,
so that multiple users can be supported?

Any multi-port device with FXS ports can connect to an analogue extension.
Make sure that your equipment supports recall signalling or you won't be
able to transfer calls or use PBX features.

Old December 23rd 04, 07:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Les Desser

In article ,
Albrow SJ Thu, 23 Dec 2004
13:07:07 writes

http://www.draytek.com/english/produ...ommended_targe
t_users_applications.php

Thanks - that confirms that I would need to connect the Vogor as a line
rather than extension.

[..]

I belive that the one you need for extentions is FXO? - so to build the
perfect system you need FXO plugged into extentions and FXS the other
end. They seem to have taken all mention of it off the website now
(seg.co.uk), it was listed as coming soon when I last looked I think.

Anyone know of a router that also has a FXO port as well as a FXS?

Please don't take what I say as gospel though.

At this time of year?

Thinking about this further it may be worth investing in a Panasonic
KX-TA624 CCU at 290+VAT trade and installing it in some way in parallel
to my existing switchboard. That has the capability to forward calls
from extension to outside line.

Old December 24th 04, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Les Desser

In article , Jim
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:36:11 writes

There is a reference to a future version of the 2600 with a FXS port.

I thought the 2600V has two FXS ports

Wouldn't you be better with a multi FXS port gateway at the switchboard
end, so that multiple users can be supported?

Any multi-port device with FXS ports can connect to an analogue
extension. Make sure that your equipment supports recall signalling or
you won't be able to transfer calls or use PBX features.

That was just the point of my question - will a normal
extension-to-extension blind transfer work if the Vigor FXS port is
connected to an extension port of the switchboard. My understanding was
that the answer is no.
Old December 24th 04, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom
Andy Burns

Les Desser wrote:

Anyone know of a router that also has a FXO port as well as a FXS?

Not a router, but the Sipura 3000 ATA does (or will have, not sure if
they are available yet) both ...