Talk Talk DOES restrict P2P

Old December 22nd 04, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Default Talk Talk DOES restrict P2P

This is a warning to anyone thinking of joining Talk Talk for their broadband
service,

DO NOT.

They are restricting access to P2P programs, I believe they are throttling.

Talk Talk won't admit they are throttling, but have admitted they are
restricting P2P use.

I only joined them this morning, I now wish I hadn't, I am now in the process
of migrating out, without being charged a fee, as they are not providing the
service they said they would, they said it had no hidden catches, which it
has.

AVOID Talk Talk like the plague.

Old December 22nd 04, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
This is a warning to anyone thinking of joining Talk Talk for their

broadband
service,

DO NOT.

They are restricting access to P2P programs, I believe they are throttling.

Talk Talk won't admit they are throttling, but have admitted they are
restricting P2P use.

I only joined them this morning, I now wish I hadn't, I am now in the

process
of migrating out, without being charged a fee, as they are not providing the
service they said they would, they said it had no hidden catches, which it
has.

AVOID Talk Talk like the plague.

Now they say they shouldn't be restricting P2P, and will look into it and get
back to me within 48hrs!

--
Current Items For Sale: http://www.bextech.me.uk/forsale
New Forum: http://www.bextech.org.uk

Old December 22nd 04, 09:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote:

They are restricting access to P2P programs, I believe they are throttling.
Talk Talk won't admit they are throttling, but have admitted they are
restricting P2P use.

I only joined them this morning, I now wish I hadn't, I am now in the process
of migrating out, without being charged a fee, as they are not providing the
service they said they would, they said it had no hidden catches, which it
has.

It's only a 'catch' if you are a heavy user of peer-to-peer, so won't
affect everybody the same way....

AVOID Talk Talk like the plague.

I'd love a poll of the 4,000,000 homes with broadband to see what
proportion of the bill payers could give two hoots about whether
this is a restriction they care about. I'd personally be happy to
recommend TalkTalk's service on the basis they have a policy to not
allow peer-to-peer take excessive traffic from other users, however,
I will be interested to see if there are other aspects of service the
TalkTalk provider decides to do (any idea which ISP is running it for
Carphone Warehouse, as I doubt they're doing it themselves!) Peter M.

My other ISP : UK Free Software Network http://www.ukfsn.org
Old December 22nd 04, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Newsgroup

"Peter M" wrote in message
[...]

Carphone owns the backbone complete telecom company

http://www.opaltelecom.co.uk/pages/c...erview_set.htm

Derek.

Old December 22nd 04, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

"Peter M" wrote in message
[...]

CPW own Opal Telecom.

They have people investigating the known issue.

Previously I could download at 60k/s, with Talk Talk it is 0.5k/s for about 1
minute if you are lucky and then nothing. I am not a heavy user, but with
Talk Talk you can't even use anything at all.

This is very bad, and they are already acknowledging this is having a bad
impact on them.

Old December 22nd 04, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message

"Peter M" wrote in message
[...]

What is the point of having an internet connection, if you can't use it?

They said to me they do not block ports, or restrict P2P before I signed up,
and then we hear / have all these problems!

Old December 23rd 04, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J

In within
uk.telecom.broadband, 'Peter M' wrote:

I'd personally be happy to
recommend TalkTalk's service on the basis they have a policy to not
allow peer-to-peer take excessive traffic from other users,

You mean you'd be happy to recomend a service that cripples the primary
aspect of the internet (peer to peer file transfer)

How would you feel if the common p2p inter-user file transfer happened
over port 80 via a HTTP interface? You'd have a pretty useless internet
connection then..

Either that or it would effectively firewall off 90% of the public IPs..

It's as if they have suddenly discovered that people can run servers from
the IPs they are allocated (now there's a surprise eh?) and decided that
they'd better strangle them.. I'm sure someone will say that there is
often a restriction on use of a connection as a server, but it doesn't
seem to be the outgoing bandwidth they are worrying about, it is the
incoming stuff.

I love P2P, it is our defence against corporate control of the media.
Trouble is that some of the corporations realise this and are fighting
back

--
Dave Johnson -
Old December 23rd 04, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"Dave J" wrote in message
You mean you'd be happy to recomend a service that cripples the primary
aspect of the internet (peer to peer file transfer)

Hmm, I wonder what basis you have for the assertion that P2P is the "primary
aspect of the Internet".

Certanily not one of our business clients uses P2P and I only know one
private
user that makes any use of it at all.

I'm not arguing that nobody uses it, obviously lots of people do. But I
think
that asserting that it is the "primary aspect" seems a bit barmy.

Old December 23rd 04, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 12:57:20 UTC, Dave J wrote:

In within
uk.telecom.broadband, 'Peter M' wrote:

I'd personally be happy to
recommend TalkTalk's service on the basis they have a policy to not
allow peer-to-peer take excessive traffic from other users,

You mean you'd be happy to recomend a service that cripples the primary
aspect of the internet (peer to peer file transfer)

LOL! Howler of the year alert! It'll be hard to beat that one in the few
days remaining....

--
[Davism - a condition by which the sufferer experiences an inability
euthanasia recommended. (also known as Gee-axia)]