Sipgate on JANET \ Uni Halls etc

Old December 22nd 04, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Albrow SJ

Default Sipgate on JANET \ Uni Halls etc

Just wondering what is the sucess like using sipgate on uni networks -
appreciate bandswith can be an issue, lets assume using the GSM Codec where
needed.

At home I have had to use port forwarding because I don't understand STUN
(or more to the point am obviously stupid because I can't find where it is
in XTN lite - pointers greatfully accepted).

Am I right in thinking that using STUN it is no problem only having a
Private IP address and that no port forwarding is needed. If this is the
case do the two ports (can't remembe off the top of my head) just have to be
'not closed' on the firewall \ router?

Sorry i'm not an expert on this stuff but want to know more.

Incidentally it very very much relates to my university cource, plus I want
to be a bit clever in routing phone calls.

Also - is it just me that can't do a call transfer on sipgate? The other
useful feature would be the ability to use call divert functions.

Many thanks for any pointers,

Regards
Sam

---
If you have any queries regarding this email please contact Horshamnet on
08708811293.

Old December 22nd 04, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 22 Dec 2004 in uk.telecom.broadband, "Albrow SJ" wrote:

Also - is it just me that can't do a call transfer on sipgate?

I think X-Ten Lite doesn't support it. Try buying it :-)

I've not opened any ports on the firewall, nor made changes to either of
my routers wrt port forwarding, but it didn't seem that difficult to set
up when I looked at it a few weeks ago. Get in touch and compare notes?
Old December 23rd 04, 12:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 17:40:58 -0000, "Albrow SJ"
wrote:

Just wondering what is the sucess like using sipgate on uni networks -
appreciate bandswith can be an issue,

Why do you assume this? JANET has a heck of a lot of bandwidth, my
place of work can easily support a video conference that *required* a
10Mbit connection, so VoIP should not be an issue at all! Of course
your uni/college might be connected to JANET at a slower speed, but I
wouldn't know.

Incidentally it very very much relates to my university cource, plus I want
to be a bit clever in routing phone calls.

Well, you'd need to ask your computer support people whether they
allow VoIP traffic through the border firewall. Also, if it relates to
your course, I can't really see a problem - but again check with your
AUP (acceptable use policy) of the network.

Good luck
Old December 23rd 04, 02:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
gonzo

news
wrote:

Just wondering what is the sucess like using sipgate on uni networks -
appreciate bandswith can be an issue,

Why do you assume this? JANET has a heck of a lot of bandwidth, my
place of work can easily support a video conference that *required* a
10Mbit connection, so VoIP should not be an issue at all! Of course
your uni/college might be connected to JANET at a slower speed, but I
wouldn't know.

when i was in halls in 98 we could network up to janet with our pcs in our
rooms. we could download files at speeds of 35kb/sec, they capped each
download to that but you could do multiple downloads at that speed. we had
multiple t3 connections back then. god knows what speed they go at now.
cheers
james

Old December 23rd 04, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Albrow SJ

wrote:

Just wondering what is the sucess like using sipgate on uni networks -
appreciate bandswith can be an issue,

Why do you assume this? JANET has a heck of a lot of bandwidth, my
place of work can easily support a video conference that *required* a
10Mbit connection, so VoIP should not be an issue at all! Of course
your uni/college might be connected to JANET at a slower speed, but I
wouldn't know.

when i was in halls in 98 we could network up to janet with our pcs in our
rooms. we could download files at speeds of 35kb/sec, they capped each
download to that but you could do multiple downloads at that speed. we had
multiple t3 connections back then. god knows what speed they go at now.
cheers
james

Indeed the main links are huge, but some people have reported problems when
everyone in their block or whatever is downloading - my point was really to
discount the bandwith issues if there happened to be any in any instance,
but on the STUN \ not having a public ip address or the ability to change
router settings to use port forwarding.

---

Old December 23rd 04, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"Albrow SJ" wrote in
:

Indeed the main links are huge,

http://www.ja.net/topology/index.html

There is a lot missing off that though - where is the University of
Manchester? Last time I checked NNW ran through them not Warrington and
Manchester was throwing so much bandwidth at JaNET that the western
backbones were upgraded a couple of years ago just so they could keep
up..

but some people have reported problems
when everyone in their block or whatever is downloadingg.

That will be down to whoever is operating the individual network for the
hall of residence. JANET provides the backbone bandwidth and a connection
into the network. The computing department of each university is
responsible for the what they do on campus. Some of them will run fiber
to halls whilst others will use slower links and even down to 10 meg hubs
depending on how old or stingy they are being.

I had the fun of being in halls that didn't have any sort of data running
to them. The best we had was a few phoneboxes in the middle of the
complex (Norfolk Park, Sheffield Hallam incase anyone is familiar).
--
Colin
Old December 24th 04, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Albrow SJ

"cw" wrote in message
"Albrow SJ" wrote in
:

[...]

Yep...

So from experience does that mean that sipgate will work with a connection
in halls of residence?

--
Colin

---

Old December 24th 04, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Lowndes

So from experience does that mean that sipgate will work with a connection
in halls of residence?

My experience with my daughter's halls of residence connection is that
Internet access is via a proxy and it's so locked down that we can't
get MSN messenger voice connections, or Skype to work at all. Dunno
about sipgate, but I suspect it'd be similarly hampered.

I guess it all comes down to the particular establishment, but these
days I'd expect them all to be pretty rigorous (limiting).

Dave
Old January 2nd 05, 02:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
gonzo

"David Lowndes" wrote in message
So from experience does that mean that sipgate will work with a

connection
in halls of residence?

My experience with my daughter's halls of residence connection is that
Internet access is via a proxy and it's so locked down that we can't
get MSN messenger voice connections, or Skype to work at all. Dunno
about sipgate, but I suspect it'd be similarly hampered.

I guess it all comes down to the particular establishment, but these
days I'd expect them all to be pretty rigorous (limiting).

i had the same proxy probs back then. not everything worked and it was quite
annoying at times, the basics worked but not the nice stuff. wasnt as bad as
the uni computer labs running windows 3.1 though in 1999!
cheers
james