Weird wireless problems .. (sorted)

Old December 23rd 04, 06:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

Default Weird wireless problems .. (sorted)

So,

I was helping my mate setup a WiFi network router on AOL. I gathered
all the info on here re MTU and Sigons etc .. that side went ok.

The router was going in his new study, sort of a room built into a
utility area.

The local machine was hard wired, the other two (kids PC's) were going
to be wireless.

Long story short and it looks like there were some issues with the
router in the study (remote PC RX signals bouncing up and down all the
time ... connect ok for a day then nothing etc).

As a last resort I moved the router into another room and there it
was, solid signals all round! I then had to connect the 'local' PC via
wireless also .. (and considering it was only 5m away sideways and
through two simple internal walls it wasn't a very good signal ..)?

When I went in to 'help' my first question was 'is this plasterboard
(in the study) lined with foil or anything?" and he answered 'no'
(I'm not saying that was, it but there was 'something' strange going
on ... ).

Anyway, if it saves someone some time ....

All the best ..

T i m

Old December 23rd 04, 07:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

T i m wrote:
[...]

Been meeting up with walls which have a metal mesh screen behind the plaster
resently....

Old December 24th 04, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 19:32:09 -0000, "kraftee" [email protected]&
die.com wrote:

When I went in to 'help' my first question was 'is this plasterboard
(in the study) lined with foil or anything?" and he answered 'no'
(I'm not saying that was, it but there was 'something' strange going
on ... ).

Anyway, if it saves someone some time ....

All the best ..

T i m

Been meeting up with walls which have a metal mesh screen behind the plaster
resently....

Well, that *was* the jist of my first question to him and his reply
was 'no'?

However, this new 'room' (big cupboard) was sorta in a general purpose
/ garage / storeroom type area so I have no idea what was behind the
plasterboard?

Mr Faraday has a lot to answer for!

All the best ..

T i m (G7ICW)

Old December 24th 04, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

die.com wrote:

When I went in to 'help' my first question was 'is this plasterboard
(in the study) lined with foil or anything?" and he answered 'no'
(I'm not saying that was, it but there was 'something' strange going
on ... ).

Anyway, if it saves someone some time ....

All the best ..

T i m

Been meeting up with walls which have a metal mesh screen behind the plaster
resently....

Well, that *was* the jist of my first question to him and his reply
was 'no'?

However, this new 'room' (big cupboard) was sorta in a general purpose
/ garage / storeroom type area so I have no idea what was behind the
plasterboard?

Mr Faraday has a lot to answer for!

All the best ..

T i m (G7ICW)

What insulation was in the room often when its a garage convert etc
the simples method is to use kingspan which has a lovely aluminium
side on it?