ADSL under difficult conditions

Old December 23rd 04, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dd

Default ADSL under difficult conditions

Im at the end of 5km of copper and my signal is going to be marginal .
Question : are some ADSL modems better under these conditions than
others?
If so recommendations please.
I will want to try and impliment voi and link 2 computers with a
wireless router, would I be better to have a separate modem and router?

--
dd
Old December 24th 04, 08:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

http://www.yarwell.demon.co.uk/longlines.html

Question : are some ADSL modems better under these conditions than
others?
If so recommendations please.

no solid information. Draytek do "long range firmware" for at least
some models. 3Com Sureconnect seems bad at long range.

I will want to try and impliment voi and link 2 computers with a
wireless router, would I be better to have a separate modem and router?

you can get an all in one wireless voip adsl modem thingy from
Draytek, http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2600v.html
http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2900vg.html

or buy an ethernet adsl modem/router and add a wireless access point.

Beware of buying a "broadband wireless router" without a built in
modem as you then have to buy an ethernet ADSL modem and figure it all
out.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !
Old December 24th 04, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , dd
writes
Im at the end of 5km of copper and my signal is going to be marginal .

5km is about 50db I think - not marginal by today's standards.

--
robert w hall
Old December 24th 04, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheDragon

5km in not really marginal. unless your cable is of really poor quality.

Draytek 2600 series do long reach firmware but you shouldnt need it.
I am on a 1 meg service, 6.4km from the exchange with 64dB of attenuation.
Never drops. EVER. Solid performance, SNR margin reads 14.5dB. When on 512
it read 21dB.

Stop worring.

Old December 24th 04, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

robert w hall wrote:

In article , dd
writes

Im at the end of 5km of copper and my signal is going to be marginal .

5km is about 50db I think - not marginal by today's standards.

I've been -63dB attn 4.5dB s/n and 6km, -68dB attn 3.5dB s/n and 7km in
my last 2 houses over 2 years or more and its worked for me.
Old December 24th 04, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

dd wrote:

Im at the end of 5km of copper and my signal is going to be marginal .
Question : are some ADSL modems better under these conditions than others?
If so recommendations please.

Latest Westell 6000 and 7400 have features to help on marginal lines,
not enabled by default, I have a 7400 and haven't needed to even tinker
with the settings, might be of interest to you though ...

Also make sure your intenral wiring is tidy and minimal, and get a good
quality splitter (faceplate style would be good)
Old December 24th 04, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

dd wrote:
Im at the end of 5km of copper and my signal is going to be marginal .
Question : are some ADSL modems better under these conditions than
others?
If so recommendations please.
I will want to try and impliment voi and link 2 computers with a
wireless router, would I be better to have a separate modem and
router?

You shouldn't have any problems at that distance, but don't (repeat DON'T)
get a modem.

Get a ADSL Router (not a broadband router) & you won't go far wrong.....

Old December 25th 04, 07:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Quinton

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 23:27:58 +0000, dd wrote:

Im at the end of 5km of copper and my signal is going to be marginal .

I'm getting 1Mb at 6.5km.
Adslnation X-Modem CE.
--
January Sales 2005 - Offers & Coupons - http://www.ThisBritain.com/January-Sales-2005/
Locate your Mobile phone: http://www.bizorg.co.uk/news.html
Old December 26th 04, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anton G˙sen

Andy Burns wrote:

Also make sure your intenral wiring is tidy and minimal, and get a good
quality splitter (faceplate style would be good)

Or just do what I do and have the ADSL modem plugged straight into the
wall socket, you don't need a filter.
Old December 26th 04, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anton G˙sen

Andy Burns wrote:

Also make sure your intenral wiring is tidy and minimal, and get a good
quality splitter (faceplate style would be good)

Or just do what I do and have the ADSL modem plugged straight into the
wall socket, you don't need a filter connected to the modem.